Author Topic: New member who loves Luciaphil's Idle Thoughts  (Read 4005 times)

Offline buzz

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
Re: New member who loves Luciaphil's Idle Thoughts
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2007, 07:56:13 PM »
Now I recall the scene. Thanks for refreshing my memory, Markyboo!

Offline Sunny_Collins

• Senior Poster
  • True devotion! I love, love, love dear Barnabas!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2007, 08:27:36 PM »
one of the problems is that David went down this road before and never even references it to either Hallie or himself. I know this is the writers fault but I think it hurts the concept here. Iit would have been more inteersting to have seen David struggling with these forces which he really should be terriified by since his last encounter with Quentin.

Welcome, Buzz!  [hall2_smiley]

As far as David mentioning Quentin, Spoiler: since Barnabas went to 1897 and changed Quentin's history, he didn't die, therefore he couldn't be a ghost, and David and Amy would never have experienced a haunting from him. So those events in David's world never occurred. Only we the viewers remember it.
Barnabas to little Sarah's ghost: "I forbid you to leave! I beg you to stay!"

Offline barnabasjr

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2007, 01:45:40 AM »
As far as David mentioning Quentin, Spoiler: since Barnabas went to 1897 and changed Quentin's history, he didn't die, therefore he couldn't be a ghost, and David and Amy would never have experienced a haunting from him. So those events in David's world never occurred. Only we the viewers remember it.
I recall Amy seeing "Grant Douglas" and thinking he was Quentin.
Your 3rd cousin in Virginia

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2007, 08:21:26 AM »
So Angelique's antics in 1795 created a parallel time band, but Barnabas's antics in 1897 didn't.  Is there some sort of cosmic threshold or criterion for the creation of new time bands?

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
  • The grooviest HEP cat in Collinsport!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2007, 03:25:42 PM »

Indeed, this always bugged the crap outta me too!  It would have been way more interesting, IMHO anyway, to have Amy meet "Grant" and be like, "Oh, hello, nice to meet you Mr. Douglas" w/no fear.  Just my two pesos!    [hall_grin]
Buzz-isms:

"I like the bike I got, & the chick I got!"
"I know just the place!?Over in Logansport!"
"If ya feel it, SIT it!"
"Come on, before he offers me a side car too!"
"Her nose needed some powder!"
"You askin' me to give up something I like?"

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2007, 03:37:44 PM »
they do a few very annoyingly inconsistent things with quentin in 1970...

several people(besides barnabas and julia)do remember the quentin hauntings even though the changed history means he never died.

in one scene shortly after barnabas returns to the present(from 1897)liz comes over and thanks him for whatever he did to rid collinwood of the ghosts and tells him how glad the family is to be back home...meaning that the haunting did take place and the family had in fact moved out of collinwood.

shortly after david spies julia talking to "grant" and immediately equates him with quentin.he's under the leviathan influence at the time and for reasons i can't recall decides to scare amy with grant...and when she sees him she too thinks it's quentin.

then,in a maddening lack of continuity,just a few months later during the gerard hauntings david and quentin carry on as if they had been best friends for years and quentin even remarks about how david had been wanting to borrow his camera(or something of the sort)for "over a year".

the writing for quentin in the present is very,very sloppy and inconsistent.because he had become such a "teen idol" apparently they thought they didn't need to write a plausible storyline for him and the show's adolescent audience would neither notice nor care.
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2007, 06:36:08 PM »
the writing for quentin in the present is very,very sloppy and inconsistent.because he had become such a "teen idol" apparently they thought they didn't need to write a plausible storyline for him and the show's adolescent audience would neither notice nor care.

Oddly enough, with the infamous exception of the lady who wrote into Afternoon TV that Quentin would have been better off going down with the Titanic than mooning over Amanda for more than 70 years, the adult audience didn't seem to complain either. Apparently a testament to Selby's idol status with several generations.  [wink2]

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2007, 06:57:49 PM »
i have no doubt that quentin...then as now...had no shortage of adult admirers.

but sometimes i do think the writers took storyline shortcuts that they thought kids(as opposed to more discerning adults)wouldn't pick up or care about.this is one of those instances.

i have my own peculiar quirks with the show.vampires and witches i don't question...but mundane things like episode-to-episode plot continuity and well thought out character placement matter big time. [hall2_tongue]
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2007, 07:20:50 PM »
but sometimes i do think the writers took storyline shortcuts that they thought kids(as opposed to more discerning adults)wouldn't pick up or care about.this is one of those instances.

Perhaps. Though the writers were well aware that DS had appeal far beyond its teen audience. Article after article published at the time DS was originally on would quickly point out the show's wide demographic (as opposed to many of today's articles which seem to focus on its teen appeal). So, if they did intentionally ignore the show's adult audience, they wouldn't have exactly been being smart.

Sadly, perhaps the real truth lies in the fact that DC didn't believe any segment of the audience was particularly smart.  [hall2_rolleyes]  And the writers were often forced to write the show the way DC wanted it or risk losing their jobs...

i have my own peculiar quirks with the show.vampires and witches i don't question...but mundane things like episode-to-episode plot continuity and well thought out character placement matter big time. [hall2_tongue]

Oh, I totally agree. Have you ever read any of my missives about how absurd it was that Philip could have even been held in custody, much less potentially tried and convicted without one shred of actual evidence connecting him to the murders Jeb committed save from Philip's confession, which any lawyer, even a completely inept one on a par with Peter Bradford, could have had thrown out in an instant?  [b003]

Offline Josette

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2007, 07:52:21 AM »
I think it comes back to that same story about going outside and asking the fans about some detail that the writers had forgotten.  I don't think they ever tried to look up old scripts and see what had actually occurred, but just kept writing for the moment.  Also, as a virtually live, every day show, they probably didn't think that all the past details would matter.  Who could have envisioned it being preserved and watched over and over all these years later.
Josette

Offline buzz

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 29, 2007, 12:04:03 AM »

Good point, although as others have noted, the writers were usually loose with continuity. The viewers however are aware of the repetition in plot, which, IMO, didn't work as well the second time around. A number of ideas were good in this storyline, but the silent ghosts and wining kids (especially Hallie) were getting on my nerves after a while. The episodes leading to 1840 are moving awful slowly for me, the only high point so far was Stokes appearing and questioning Sebastian Shaw, who seemed to want to help, at least until Julia insulted him before he even had a chance to speak to the kids.