Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0347  (Read 1201 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0347
« on: July 24, 2007, 05:50:17 PM »

Offline loril54

• Senior Poster
  • Long Live DS Fans
    • View Profile
Re: Discuss - Ep #0347
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2007, 07:50:11 PM »
Everybody in this show, is showing their bad side. Barnabas, Julia, and Carolyn. Carolyn to a lesser degree.  Julia wants to stop Barnabas, she will do what she needs to do.  Doing the hypnosis is priceless. Taking Vickie down to the Basement, showing her Barnabas in his Day Bed! >:D Then telling Vickie she should be afraid of Barnabas but doesn't know why.  >:D. What ladies will do to get a man.  I don't think she ever takes off the suggestion does she?

Barnabas being super evil  >:D >:D, and telling Julia that she has no ethics any more. Then pushing Vickie and Julia's face. The war is really begining, these shows just get more and more tense.  In the middle after the experimental treatment with the electric power. He seemed like a 6 year old with a new toy. ( a new way to liven things up on DS).

Carolyn just saying that the better like the coffie, it took so long to fix.
Vote for Jonathan in the Walk of Fame.

http://www.canadaswalkoffame.com/nominate

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2007, 03:51:08 AM »
I don't think Julia hypnotizing Vicki was very smart in the longrun. Sooner or later I think Barnabas would have found out Julia was the one turning Vicki against him one way or another.

Or maybe Julia is subconsciously trying to get back at Barnabas for Woodard's murder, and forcing her to be part of it? There is a thin line between love and hate and I say Julia has been walking on that line since the day of Dave's murder.

Good thing for Julia that there was that problem in the kitchen that took up Carolyn's time while she hypnotized Vicki, took her to the Old House and back. Otherwise, Julia would have had some explaining to do.

Great episode.

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2007, 11:16:44 AM »
I love the scenes when Julia hypnotizes Vicky.  “You will never remember, and you will never forget” is a perfect description of something right at the edge of your consciousness, trying to get in.  Or anyway, so I thought until I showed the episode to a non-Dark-Shadows-loving friend a while back, and he said: “What does that mean?”

I get so used to seeing coffins here, there, and everywhere on Dark Shadows that I was surprised by Vicky's reluctance to open the coffin in the basement.  But then I remembered the last time I saw a corpse – one week old, without benefit of embalming – and suddenly I sympathized completely with Vicky.

Does anybody know exactly how the Treatment was conveyed to Barnabas?  It does not appear to have been done via the straps on the chair.  I keep wondering if there were electrodes in the seat.

Offline EmeraldRose

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2007, 03:12:34 AM »
Does anybody know exactly how the Treatment was conveyed to Barnabas?  It does not appear to have been done via the straps on the chair.  I keep wondering if there were electrodes in the seat.
I was wondering the same thing, Lydia! As Vicki (and many others) would say, "I don't understand!" Maybe your explanation about electrodes in the seat is the explanation. [ideag]

I love Julia's laboratory. That dissolving thing that Julia put in the vat sure was neat! ... And the liquids were very colorful! [color]

I always thought that line - "You will never remember, and you will never forget." - was nonsensical. How can you remember and forget something at the same time!? [idontknow] Wouldn't it make a person go crazy?  [crazy2]

----- Sally -----
[coolg] [hippy2]
----- Sally -----
[snow_bigglass] [hippy2]

Offline Roland

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2007, 04:17:04 AM »
The show was really cooking on all burners at this point.  One great episode after another, this one included.

I love the scenes of Julia hypnotizing Vicky.  The line is a great example of a paradox: two essentially contradictory ideas that when put together create a third reality.

The only question I have, though, is why on earth was Carolyn in this episode at all?  All she did was pour coffee (and make an unlikely nasty comment, especially considering that poor Vicky may have just lost her fiance in a plane crash.  I'd think she'd be more sensitive at a time like that).  I'm surprised they didn't just save the money on Nancy's paycheck that day and do without her.

Otherwise, another fantastic episode, especially with Barnabas' uncontrollable euphoria at the prospect of the experiment working.

One more point, though:  why does Vicky suddenly act like she wants Barnabas to stay when she has been hypnotized into fearing him?  That seems like a gaffe of sorts to me, strangely  inconsistent.

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2007, 02:44:12 PM »
interesting comment about carolyn...

alot of times there might just be two or three characters that are "pivotal" in a given episode and another one or two characters that sort of "flesh it out"(aren't there generally five characters per episode?).

for awhile in 1967 carolyn seemed a bit adrift without much to do.what happens with her in an upcoming episode gives the character a much needed injection of drive and purpose and gives nancy barrett some of the best material she ever gets on the show in my opinion.
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline buzz

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2007, 08:10:50 PM »
I love Julia's laboratory. That dissolving thing that Julia put in the vat sure was neat! ... And the liquids were very colorful! [color]

I'm of Italian descent and whenever anyone in my family watches this episode we joke that Julia was making Zeppollas, which, for those who have no idea, is a treat made with flour and sugar.