Author Topic: sale at brewster's!  (Read 2890 times)

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
sale at brewster's!
« on: February 01, 2006, 01:21:26 AM »
it always amuses me when something sort of comes out of nowhere and becomes a major plot-point on the show.

case in point.i've been watching the leviathan episodes and apart from everything else going on suddenly everyone is spending an awful lot of time shopping at BREWSTER'S.a hitherunto unmentioned department store.

maggie proudly holds up a new dress(a dull paisley affair in 'harvest gold' hues.sleeveless with a big,dumpy bow on the front.it's just not kicky enough for mags)and tells carolyn of a "blue silk she would love".david comes across a newspaper ad that announces that BREWSTER'S is open nights till christmas(a very rare reference indeed)and then sneaks out to run an important errend.megan seems to stop by BREWSTER'S daily.elizabeth,suspicious of a BREWSTER'S box in the antique shop,is informed by carolyn that everyone in collinsport must have a box from BREWSTER'S and that hundreds of people shop there every day!even monstrous leviathan michael,jealous of a new sweater that david has,demands that megan go to BREWSTER'S and get him one.

i don't know why but it cracks me up that with all of the bizzare things going on here people have time to do something really ordinary like shop at a department store.

i was surprised several episodes later to see maggie's above mentioned dress on mrs.schuyler rumson.did ang hit the same sale at BREWSTER'S?
in general they outfitted angelique strangely in the present.she's about the same age as nancy and kathryn but while they were styled almost girlishly angelique can get kind of dowdy(and that's saying nothing of her garb during her stint as a vampire). ::)
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline AndreDuPres

• Full Poster
  • I don't know, Barnabas. I just don't know!
    • View Profile
Re: sale at brewster's!
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2006, 02:23:16 AM »
Yeah, I remember watching this storyline and thinking the same thing.  I don't think Brewster's is mentioned in the succeeding storylines at all...anyway, I couldn't believe my ears when David actually mentioned Christmas of all things!  Christmas on DS!  Yeah, Ang got some pretty God-awful duds--ESPECIALLY when she was a vampire!  The ugliest outfit on all of DS is that hideous purple frilly thing she wears for about 10 episodes during '68.  Lara Parker is gorgeous, but even she can't make ugly clothes beautiful.

Offline Barnabas'sBride

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2006, 02:32:49 AM »
I remember liking the black dress Angelique wore in Leviathans when [spoiler]Sky introduced her to his "friend", Nicholas Blair[/spoiler]. I thought she looked really pretty in that episode.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2006, 03:59:47 AM »
Lest anyone think the writers made up Brewsters, at the time DS was originally aired it was an actual department store chain in New England. One of the few times when DS actually coalesced with reality. And it was definitely a hoot to know that the residents of Collinsport shopped in their local store.  [wink2]  However, the chain has long since closed...

Offline Patti Feinberg

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2006, 12:42:01 PM »
Lest anyone think the writers made up Brewsters, at the time DS was originally aired it was an actual department store chain in New England. One of the few times when DS actually coalesced with reality. And it was definitely a hoot to know that the residents of Collinsport shopped in their local store.  [wink2]  However, the chain has long since closed...

Wow!! This is news to me!

BREWSTER'S and that hundreds of people shop there every day

Well, we could liken it to, how many cousins have been in Wal-mart or Target in last week; I'd guess quite a few.

Patti

PS...personally, I think they dressed Angelique too 'old', consider she was about same age as KLS & NB; she was more 'matronly' attired, BUT, this could be because she was usually someone's wife....IMHO.
What a Woman!

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
  • The grooviest HEP cat in Collinsport!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2006, 04:03:40 PM »
Well, we could liken it to, how many cousins have been in Wal-mart or Target in last week; I'd guess quite a few.

I was at Target just last Saturday!  LOVE Target! ;)
Buzz-isms:

"I like the bike I got, & the chick I got!"
"I know just the place!?Over in Logansport!"
"If ya feel it, SIT it!"
"Come on, before he offers me a side car too!"
"Her nose needed some powder!"
"You askin' me to give up something I like?"

Offline TERRY308

• Senior Poster
  • The real Mrs. Collins.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2006, 07:50:55 PM »
I love Target.  I was there on Saturday too.  I'll bet Collinsport has one.  I never knew Brewster's was a real place.  I'll bet that there would never be a 'Walmart'....Elizabeth would never permit this.  That's why I love her.
Cassandra:  I have a potion.  You know it well.  As soon as she drinks it, within an hour, she will go to sleep and have the dream.
Nicholas:  I am much to talented to spend my time drugging drinks.

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2006, 08:07:13 PM »
I'll bet that there would never be a 'Walmart'....Elizabeth would never permit this.  That's why I love her.

My boss, the one from Maine, says they are outlawed in Maine.  Is this true Maine-ites??  ;)
Buzz-isms:

"If ya feel it, SIT it!"

Offline onyx_treasure

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2006, 03:07:42 PM »
     Yes, we have Wal-Marts in Maine.  The parking lots are packed all day long.  There is even a Sams Club in Portland.  Wal-mart is building a major distribution center in Lewiston.

I asked some old-timers if they ever heard of Brewsters here in Maine.  So far, no one I have spoke to has heard of Brewsters.  Pecks Dept store was around many years ago.  People in their fifties remember sitting on Santa's lap at Pecks.  I don't know when they went out of business.

PS.  BuzzH----I would stop getting your info from your boss. ;)
There are two means of refuge from the misery of life--music and cats.  Albert Schweitzer

Offline Charles_Ellis

• Senior Poster
  • Barnabas & Julia Forever!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2006, 03:39:49 PM »
When I was a kid (dating myself yet again- arrrgh!), my mother took my brother and me to Robert Hall for clothes and John's Bargain Store for school supplies.  And there was always Woolworth's, Korvettes, and Kresge's !  And we didn't have to buy bottled soda from the A&P- it was delivered to us by Hammer Beverages in big glass bottles in different flavors.  Can you imagine what it must have been like for the Collins family milkman/knife sharpener/beverage man to arrive at Collinwood?  

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2006, 03:56:12 PM »
BuzzH----I would stop getting your info from your boss. ;)

LOL!!  I can't *wait* to tell her she was wrong!  Bawahahahahahahahaha!   >:D
Buzz-isms:

"If ya feel it, SIT it!"

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2006, 04:01:12 PM »
When I was a kid (dating myself yet again- arrrgh!), my mother took my brother and me to Robert Hall for clothes and John's Bargain Store for school supplies.  And there was always Woolworth's, Korvettes, and Kresge's !  And we didn't have to buy bottled soda from the A&P- it was delivered to us by Hammer Beverages in big glass bottles in different flavors.  Can you imagine what it must have been like for the Collins family milkman/knife sharpener/beverage man to arrive at Collinwood?

Okay, I'm gonna 'date' myself too!  ;)  Does anyone remember a department store chain called McCrory's?  Or Kanns?  They were fairly big south of the Mason Dixon line in the 70's when I was growing up.  We used to go to McCrory's to buy 'Big Jim' action figure dolls (who remembers THOSE!? ;)).  I used to love going to Kanns to buy school shoes because in the kid's shoe department they had a monkey in a zoo-like exhibit area.  It was one of those slinky, skinny, small monkeys and SO cute.  'Course now-a-days I'd start a petition to free him but....back then I was enthralled w/him.  ;)
Buzz-isms:

"If ya feel it, SIT it!"

Offline onyx_treasure

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2006, 06:10:34 PM »
BuzzH----I would stop getting your info from your boss. ;)
LOL!!  I can't *wait* to tell her she was wrong!  Bawahahahahahahahaha!   >:D

Please don't get yourself fired unless thats what you're trying for. >:D

****petofi
     Do you remember a Brewsters when you were growing up in Maine?   So many of the downtown stores failed when they opened up the malls.
There are two means of refuge from the misery of life--music and cats.  Albert Schweitzer

Offline petofi

• Full Poster
  • " Collinwood '68 - Fashions courtesy of Ohrbach's"
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2006, 12:27:08 AM »
There were no Brewster's in Maine to my knowledge.  I grew up in Bangor in the 60s, and spent time in Bar Harbor and Ellsworth in the summer(Hancock County).  The chains that we had in those days were Zayre's, S. S. Kresge's (Later K Mart), Mammoth Mart, W T Grant, and A & P food stores.  They all had a local feel about them, and we also had a 5 story local store called Freese's, which was in business from the late 1800's until the 1980's.  There was no Bangor Pine Hotel, as in early DS, but there was a Pine Tree Restaurant that was quite famous locally.  Other regional/local food chains included the Shop n Save Chain (now Hannaford Brother's), which was usually locally owned.  This meant that each Shop n Save also had some guys name on it, like Don's or Doug's.
We Had IGA foodliners, my grandmother's favorite (double coupons), and mom and pop stores could choose from suppliers like AG(Associated Grocers) or Surefine.  These mom and pop places were where you were most likely to pick up the Dark Shadows bubblegum cards and posters.  Below are views of the old Broadway Shopping Center, where Zayre's and Kresge's were, and just for fun, here's a view of Downtown Bangor from the late 1800s -early 1900s.  You can see the Penobscot river in the background.  This might have been how Edward or Barnabas might have seen it, eh?

Petofi

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2006, 12:58:34 AM »
I can't speak for Maine because I never set foot in the state until I was 32 and by then the Brewsters chain was long since history - but I know they had stores in Boston (MA), Providence (RI), Concord (NH) and Hartford (CT). The chain was definitely on the pricey end of the scale (think of something along the lines of NYC's Macy's in the '60s) and when I was 12 I remember being quite in awe of the Boston store because there was absolutely nothing like it where I lived. It was definitely a store befitting the Collinses.  ;)

It's probably also worth noting that Shepherd's, a store that Maggie also mentions shopping at, was another real New England chain.