Author Topic: Jonathan Frid Plays Magda!  (Read 1861 times)

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
  • Only my freckles hold me together.
    • View Profile
Jonathan Frid Plays Magda!
« on: August 07, 2007, 03:20:51 PM »
I have a very rare item that was initially an audiotape and was transferred onto a CD.  This 44 minute recording are snippets from Jonathan Frid rehearsing lines for "Dark Shadows" back in the day.  He used audiotapes to tape the lines of other characters (he playing those characters) and left blank space enough in between for where his lines would go.  You get to hear him play Magda and Nathan Forbes and there is a section where he is running lines with Roger Davis. You hear the pages of the scripts turning.  JF evidently used this tape quite a bit so there are different time periods of the show here in snippets.  It's a fun recording.

Also, the radio commercial spots for House of Dark Shadows are on the CD.  I am listing it on ebay for $20.00 including first class shipping.  You can buy it directly from me by sending me an email for money order information or go directly to Paypal.  The email addy to use for that is redceltt@aol.com.

Ships within a week of purchase.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
Re: Jonathan Frid Plays Magda!
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2007, 03:36:59 PM »
Oh. My. GODS.

Frid plays Magda??? This, I HAVE to hear!

Thanks for the listing, Nancy!

cheers, Steve

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2007, 03:42:05 PM »

Indeed! But is each individual section a separate track? Certain fans would probably love it if they could just skip over the RD portion altogether.  ;D

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2007, 03:48:13 PM »
I don't know, MB. I didn't try that since JF reads with Roger Davis. It wasn't that long as I recall.  Fans will recognize some of the dialogue throughout.

Nancy

Indeed! But is each individual section a separate track? Certain fans would probably love it if they could just skip over the RD portion altogether.  ;D

Offline adamsgirl

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2007, 03:57:08 PM »
How cool is that? Hey, I think it's worth more than $20 (just my two cents)!

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2007, 04:00:15 PM »
It is but I really don't like gouging other fans - the packaging is simple and there isn't any great expense copying the CD.   This is the CD I told you about the other night on the phone.

nancy

How cool is that? Hey, I think it's worth more than $20 (just my two cents)!

Offline Sunny_Collins

• Senior Poster
  • True devotion! I love, love, love dear Barnabas!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2007, 03:43:29 AM »
Nancy, thank you very much for posting this!  8)
Barnabas to little Sarah's ghost: "I forbid you to leave! I beg you to stay!"

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2007, 06:33:33 PM »
All I can think is, JF could not have thought that fans in the year 2007 (back then it was always "the year 2000" etc., not just "2000") would be exchanging recordings of this possible cheap humble cassette he was rehearsing with.... 
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2007, 02:48:58 PM »
I had a horrifying revelation last night, thinking about this cassette... somewhere out there on tape there is, or at least used to be, passages where Mr. Frid was impersonating Julia.

I think I would crawl over broken glass in the alleyway behind Jacque's (a notorious tranny bar in Boston patronized mostly by married men from the outer surburbs)  to hear Mr. Frid hoasely intoning: "B-B-B-Barnabas!!!!"

G.

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2007, 02:57:34 PM »
You might be thinking of "the Genesis of Evil" program Frid did back in the early 1980s at some DS conventions.  He read DS fanfiction and also the scene between Barnabas and Julia where Barnabas was making nice to her after creating the ghost of Dr. Woodard to try and drive her crazy.  However, he played it straight.  No "B-B-B-Barnabas" or display of sharp, juxtapositioning elbows . . . .

nancy

I had a horrifying revelation last night, thinking about this cassette... somewhere out there on tape there is, or at least used to be, passages where Mr. Frid was impersonating Julia.

I think I would crawl over broken glass in the alleyway behind Jacque's (a notorious tranny bar in Boston patronized mostly by married men from the outer surburbs)  to hear Mr. Frid hoasely intoning: "B-B-B-Barnabas!!!!"