Poll

How many of you checked on April 5 to see if DS was on?

Yes, I hoped it was a big mistake and ABC would change their mind.
9 (45%)
No, knew it was over
7 (35%)
Forgot
0 (0%)
Wasn't watching then.
3 (15%)
It didn't matter.
1 (5%)

Total Members Voted: 19

Voting closed: April 15, 2007, 08:40:04 PM

Author Topic: Last day of DS  (Read 3454 times)

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
  • Only my freckles hold me together.
    • View Profile
Re: Last day of DS
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2008, 07:22:31 AM »
Yes, I remember it well.  I played sick from an after school activity to watch the last episode.   I remember feeling sad it ended even though I could only see the show twice a week at that point.  I was confused about the plot since there were so many changes going on.  The interest I once had in the series had long since waned  but it was enough of an occasion to play sick and see the last show.

I fell in love with Password and watched that the two times I week I was home after school and able to watch TV. 

Nancy

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2008, 01:19:37 AM »
Hi Nancy, nice to see evidence of your existence!     I have no distinct memories of DS in later years from childhood, except the very end, which must mean I cared about it and was still trying to follow it.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline JS

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook profile
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2008, 03:37:14 AM »
I even taped the show on my Panasonic cassette recorderwith the piano-style keys, although I didn't quite understand the storyline by then and was still missing the Barnabas-Julia-Prof.

I thought that I was the only one that did that. The entire last year of DS I had been keeping a daily diary on day to day happenings. The only difference is that I was in the 9th grade when this fantastic show ended.

It is so hard to believe all the similar stories that everyone tells. It's like all the DS fans were mesmerized by the same spirit.
I doubt that the imagination can be suppressed. If you truly eradicated it in a child, he would grow up to be an eggplant.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2008, 04:19:11 AM »
It's a pretty long-lasting bit of mesmerizing!   I say we form a cult!
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline JS

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook profile
« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2008, 04:49:42 AM »
Yes, let's and you can be our pastor inside the wall. [ghost_grin]
I doubt that the imagination can be suppressed. If you truly eradicated it in a child, he would grow up to be an eggplant.

Offline Mark Rainey

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • The Realm
« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2008, 06:30:37 PM »
I was traumatized on that day, and I haven't been the same since. (Which I guess is good, since I was a wee lad of 11 at the time.)

Never held a grudge against Password, only ABC -- for quite a few years.

I suspect that, all things considered, the fact that it did end is what made the magic last. If it had continued on through the years, I suspect my interest would have waned instead of mounted. The excitement of seeing it come on in syndication later in the 70s was as palpable as when it first aired.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2008, 09:02:40 PM »
I share your pain, Mark, as I also have not been twelve years old ever since that accursed day.

I had to get all new clothes and everything.

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2008, 09:11:07 AM »
I can share a bit in you guys pain.  I watched the 1991 show and then it went off.  Over the summer I watched the eps over and over and over and over and over...well you get the point.  Actually my mom and dad forbid me to watch it for a few weeks. They felt I was getting OBSSESSED!! Maybe they were right? The fall came and it was no where to be found on NBC.  I boycotted that station until Heroes started.  GOD'S Honest Truth!!  I wrote Kathleen Resch and she kindly sent me a letter back telling me the horrible news.  I was devastated (still am slightly), I think the show had such potential.  I know some of you will disagree please don't scream at me.   [ghost_wink]  Thankfully I found Fandom and the original show and I have loved all incarnations of DS so far!!  Can't wait to see the next one!!   [ghost_grin]

If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/