Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0958  (Read 2670 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0958
« on: March 17, 2010, 11:09:46 PM »

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
Re: Discuss - Ep #0958
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2010, 04:42:58 AM »
Louis E VO.  Welcome back, harumphing Roger.   It looks like Q lives at Collinwood now...   I decided I'm going to substitute [spoiler]Stoddard's ghost for Bradford's, in my head.[/spoiler] The hanging ghost later on makes that hard though...
I like ECS's psychodelic dress.   Janet criticized Willie's hair... hey, he just grew it out a bit.   I like it.   But then, mine's at least twice as long.   Yeah Amy, go pick up the Book for David, you get hazard pay, don't you?

Written by Violet Welles...!!   I wouldn't be surprised if this was the last DS screen credit for her.   This episode doesn't exactly have her fingerprints on it.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Janet the Wicked

• Senior Poster
  • These pretzels are making me thirsty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2010, 01:23:20 PM »
Willie's hair? I'm over that now. What's with David's in this episode? It's greasy. Couldn't they have stuck the kid's head under a faucet and shampooed it?

House of lies? You ain't kiddin', sister.

Roger's description of Jeb - an itinerant nobody - works for me.

How does David get downstairs? Would Liz be lugging the wheelchair around for him? I wanna go downstairs, upstairs, downstairs, upstairs... You're lucky I'm not living there, Junior. I'da given you and your wheelchair a push off Widow's Hill.

There will be a brief respite while I ooo and ahh over Selby being in this episode. Isn't he dreamy?

I get a kick out of these guys who think they're so clean, when all the time they're trying to cover up their dirt.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2010, 04:46:08 PM »
How does David get downstairs? Would Liz be lugging the wheelchair around for him?

He gets around on crutches too and uses them on the stairs.  But having the wheelchair upstairs does mean that somebody-- probably one of the unseen servants-- carried it up for him.

There will be a brief respite while I ooo and ahh over Selby being in this episode. Isn't he dreamy?

<sigh>

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2010, 05:39:44 AM »
2/25/70

LOL…Grayson is always funny in scenes such as this!  “Who are you?” and then she makes about fourteen different facial registers.  Which doesn't annoy me like it does with KLS! Hmmm…..

“Quentin this is a house of lies!”  Uh I don't think truer words were ever spoken!!?

As usual The Annoying One: Amy is snooping around and eavesdropping on any all conversations.  I wonder if she does this to the nonexistent servants.   Amy is a little bratty today and I would seriously consider slapping her and since she is a fictional character I think I will!

I like Julia's hair!

Elizabeth's outfit is quite loud; however I really like it and it certainly is 1970 to the tee! OH NO!  Uncle Roger is being nosy.  He had better watch out!

So long to the book.  I actually liked the book.  Things are sure looking rough for “What must be done!”

Looks like Barnabas has someone reinstall the second column!
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2010, 01:00:23 PM »
Everywhere I looked today, I saw awkwardness.

I like Julia's hair!
I'm happy for you, Taeylor, and I wish I liked it too.  But today Julia's hair kept telling me that I was seeing Grayson Hall playing Julia, rather than seeing Julia herself.  It seems strange to say it, but they would have done better to give Julia a wig until Hall had gotten her hair to where she wanted it.

Dreamy, you say?  All I could think about was how strange Quentin looked in a blazer.  We may have seen him in a blazer before, but it seems to me that in 1970 we've seen him mostly in a trenchcoat, which gave some sense of the frock coat he wore until the 1897 storyline was finished.  That blazer just looked indecently short on him, and his long legs stuck out like sticks.  When he was in the drawing room with Julia, it was really hard for me to pay attention to what was going on because both Quentin and Julia looked wrong.

I was surprised when Elizabeth seemed so familiar with the 1970 version of Quentin Collins.  I don't remember them meeting.  And then Roger showed up and he thought it was Quentin's ghost!  I suppose Elizabeth and David, being absorbed in Leviathan lunacy, hadn't said anything to Roger about Quentin.  But it still seemed strange, and nobody commented on the fact that nobody had told Roger.

Amy told David that Quentin turned pale when he heard the old familiar music, but I didn't see any pallor.  I never see pallor when characters on movies and TV are supposed to have turned pale.  Maybe it's just me.  But if I was wrong and Quentin did turn pale, how did David Selby accomplish it?

So long to the book.
I'm not shedding any tears over The Book.  It was obvious that the wrong book was burned, because when The Book fell on the floor, suddenly the picture of the snakes was in black and white instead of color.  The Book may well have been destroyed in the Dark Shadows universe, but in our universe it still exists, waiting to make an appearance as some other Book.

Elizabeth, on the phone, said that Roger was devoted to Collinwood.  Back in episode 76 (pause for the usual thanks to Robservations) Roger called Collinwood a white elephant.  That was over three years ago, but I still have trouble believing in Roger's devotion to Collinwood.

Roger talked to Elizabeth about Paul Stoddard's body disappearing.  HOW COULD THEY DO THIS TO US?  A classic Dark Shadows setup was completely ignored!  We knew Jeb and Megan were going to burn Paul's body, but we didn't get to see anybody react to the disappearance of the body.  No gasp from Julia.  No frown from Barnabas.  No floods of tears from Carolyn.  Nothing!  We was robbed.

How does David get downstairs? Would Liz be lugging the wheelchair around for him?
He gets around on crutches too and uses them on the stairs.  But having the wheelchair upstairs does mean that somebody-- probably one of the unseen servants-- carried it up for him.
I decided the Collinses could afford two wheelchairs, one for upstairs and one for downstairs.  But is there one for the basement?

I realize that Roger is a different character from Edward, but it still seemed wrong to see Roger and Quentin getting all buddy-buddy at the Old House, especially when Roger should still have been having trouble getting past 1970 Quentin's resemblance to the ghost of 1897 Quentin.

And in the credits, David Henesy is listed as playing Daniel Collins, not David Collins, a glaring mistake to finish off this episode of awkwardnesses.

I did like the hanging figure at the end.  But since we didn't get to see Carolyn standing at her father's empty grave throwing a hissy fit to to end all hissy fits, I hope the hanging figure was Dan Curtis.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2010, 04:02:29 PM »
I was surprised when Elizabeth seemed so familiar with the 1970 version of Quentin Collins.  I don't remember them meeting.  And then Roger showed up and he thought it was Quentin's ghost!  I suppose Elizabeth and David, being absorbed in Leviathan lunacy, hadn't said anything to Roger about Quentin.  But it still seemed strange, and nobody commented on the fact that nobody had told Roger.

Roger is so often away when stuff happens that by now everyone else is probably accustomed to his being the last to know about everything, lol.  Anyway, Liz first saw the 1970 Quentin in #941 when she opened the door to see him holding an unconscious Carolyn in his arms, so of course she let out a scream.  You might recall that she offered him a choice of coffee or brandy that night and he chose the coffee, yes?

Offline Taeylor Collins

• DSF God
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2010, 04:08:14 PM »
I loved your post Lydia and the snarky sassy mix you bring to our little WP! :) This episode was sort of off and that is why I didn't have much to say about it.  

About GH's hair. I think I am just happy with what is to come because I think her look on down the road really softens up her face! Maybe I just like the fact that it is growing? Do I need a hair spoiler? [snow_huh]

Janet I also thought the Q Man looked dreamy but hey it takes NOTHING to win me over when it comes to David/Quentin! He is so cute and still is a gorgeous man with that beautiful silver hair!   [snow_wink]

He choose coffee Midnite??   [snow_huh]
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2010, 06:16:46 PM »
I loved your post Lydia and the snarky sassy mix you bring to our little WP!
Thanks Taeylor!

Anyway, Liz first saw the 1970 Quentin in #941 when she opened the door to see him holding an unconscious Carolyn in his arms, so of course she let out a scream.
Yes, I had forgotten.  Quentin just doesn't register as strongly with me as he does with some of my esteemed cousins.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2010, 06:19:53 AM »
Lydia, I thought the opening scene was awkward too.  Ep 957 ended with Jeb confronting Julia before she entered the tower, and the spirit appearing to both of them which made Jeb run off to change his pants, leaving Julia behind to ask her questions.  In this ep, the voiceover tells us that Julia watched Jeb flee in terror from "something unseen," and "now, she sees the thing that has frightened him."  The action begins with her calmly coming out of the tower room alone and reacting to seeing the thing, asking it the same questions as before.  Did they think we'd forget what we saw the day before?

Julia:  "Who-who are you? What-what do you want? Tell me, tell me who are you?"
Who-who talks like that?

Roger:  "[Quentin] was cruel, terrifying, perhaps even murderous when he couldn't get his own way."
Okay, Janet Findlay is still alive, right?  And Ezra didn't die at Collinwood?  If those events were erased because the haunting didn't happen, how can Roger remember an evil and scary ghost?

I think Roger has reason to get snarky with Liz over the "strangers" she has taken in.  On June 27, 1966, the only Collinwood residents were the family of 4 plus long-time employee Mathew Morgan.  But the estate now holds Liz and Roger, Carolyn and David, Julia, Amy, Maggie, Megan, Mrs. Johnson and some unseen servants, Barnabas and Willie at the Old House, and Chris in the caretaker's cottage and Jeb in the carriage house.  Whew!

I decided I'm going to substitute [spoiler]Stoddard's ghost for Bradford's, in my head.[/spoiler] The hanging ghost later on makes that hard though...

VERY hard.

I like Liz's psychedelic dress too.  But accessorizing it with a snake pin and pearls was a bit much, no?

Janet criticized Willie's hair... hey, he just grew it out a bit.   I like it.   But then, mine's at least twice as long.

Cool.  I enjoy learning bits and pieces about people I know but don't fully know, you know?

As for Julia's hair, what was up with the little flip in the back?

Written by Violet Welles...!!   I wouldn't be surprised if this was the last DS screen credit for her.   This episode doesn't exactly have her fingerprints on it.

Really?  I thought she did a great job with the dialogue.  All the scenes involving Quentin were particularly good (and I don't just say that because I'm prejudiced).  Like his conversation with Julia about the house of lies; Liz busting in on his coffee klatch to say to Julia, "You always seem to know what's going on"; Quentin's reminiscences, er, discussion with Roger about the original Quentin; and Roger assuming that his cousin has a clearer perspective of the goings-on because he's seeing Collinwood with fresh eyes (ha!) and so he tells Quentin, "Everything is small and yet it all adds up to something enormous-- some enormous horror that I can't understand."  Good stuff!

VW continued to write for DS until partway into PT 1970, btw, when Joe Caldwell returned to take her place.

Looks like Barnabas has someone reinstall the second column!

LOL, Taeylor!

I decided the Collinses could afford two wheelchairs, one for upstairs and one for downstairs.

That works for me.

But I wonder why David chose to hide that heavy book all the way in the back of the top shelf.  Who would get it down for him when Amy wasn't around?

Do I need a hair spoiler? [snow_huh]

No, hon. [smlyb]

He choose coffee Midnite??   [snow_huh]

I know!!!  He had coffee in this one too.  Who is this impostor and what has he done with our Quentin?!

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2010, 05:09:50 PM »
I know I've mentioned this before, but for what it's worth, Violet Welles in the one interview she did with a fan (published in Dale Clark's wonderful, much-missed Inside the Old House zine) mentioned coming back to write for DS at the end of the series.  She had started out ghost-writing (ha ha) for Gordon Russell on the show and I suspect that whenever Gordon got a credit for an episode in 1971, it was actually Violet's work.  That accounts for how good some of the dialogue in the PT 1841 episodes is, even when the actual plot fails to make sense or hold up.

G.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2010, 07:22:02 PM »
Thanks, Gothick!  And sorry for causing you to repeat yourself, though I can listen all day to you sharing your knowledge.

Offline Taeylor Collins

• DSF God
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2010, 10:00:08 AM »
I don't remember you mentioning it Gothick! It could have been before my time. Feel free to share.  I love insight!