Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0674  (Read 1055 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0674
« on: November 13, 2008, 07:48:08 PM »

Offline EmeraldRose

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
Re: Discuss - Ep #0674
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2008, 05:17:59 AM »
Well, waddaya know, I actually am posting the first reply!  [ghost_wink]

The teaser was different in this episode than the end of the last one. When he saw his shirt in the fire, Chris was angry this time, and last time, he was just surprised. Also, Amy was wearing her green coat last time, and this time she wasn't. [signerror] Amy ran away much quicker the first time. As is usually the case, I prefer the first one.

I wonder, was it was a blooper when Chris saw the pentagram on Carolyn's face instead of Donna's? [ghost_huh]

The scenes between Chris and Amy were very heartwarming. Chris was trying to get Amy to tell him what he thought she might know without actually telling her what it was. Amy's concern for him was touching. [hug] Amy sure does sound mature for her age. When I heard her talk to Chris, she seemed like an adult living in a child's body.  [hall2_wink]

I think it's great that Barnabas was figuring out that Chris was the werewolf! [bigok] This was when Barnabas and Julia started being heroes, sort of like Nick and Nora Charles from the Thin Man movie series. [milestone] It's neat that Barnabas felt a camaraderie with Chris in his plight as a fellow supernatural being who did evil things over which he had no control. 

Poor Donna didn't have a chance against the werewolf. [hall2_cry] That was quite a scary scene of her lying on the ground, dead. [hall2_shocked] It was so dark, I actually couldn't tell if her eyes were open or not, though.

----- Sally -----
[hippy2]

----- Sally -----
[snow_bigglass] [hippy2]

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2008, 05:49:39 AM »
This is a special Dark Shadows episode for me: it's the first one I ever watched.  Somewhere in this Forum I have said that I started watching in 1967, but that's a typo because I was saying something about 1897 at the time.  On the day that this episode first aired, my brother came home from school and said we were going to watch Dark Shadows today.  I now know (if I remember correctly what MB said) that this was around the time that ABC's Boston affiliate reinstated Dark Shadows in its schedule, so that would be why the kids at my brother's school had been talking about it.  Anyway, we watched Dark Shadows, a show that I had never heard of.  The next day my brother didn't watch it but I did.  I was quite disappointed to learn that it was a serial, and that the murder in today's episode had consequences, and that the show wouldn't feature a random murder every day.  For some reason, however, I continued watching, and the rest is history, of a sort.

Today I noticed that, aside from giving me the fun of thinking how confused I was that first day (I remember assuming that Barnabas and Julia were an long-married couple like my parents), the episode is terrifically interesting on its own.

Chris asks Amy if there's anything she wants to talk about - anything secret, that she doesn't understand.  Amy clearly hasn't a clue what Chris is getting at.  (She's a good liar, but we know how she looks when she lies.)  But why didn't she think of Quentin?  Also, I started wondering if there's anything in Amy that makes her part of the reason that Chris is a werewolf - some sort of a link that, if broken, would mean that Chris would not be able to transform, sort of like a computer program that you try to start up, but that fails with an error message telling you that some driver or file is missing.[spoiler]Having seen 1897, I know that this can't be true - but the idea appeals to me anyway.[/spoiler]

What made Barnabas think of werewolves?  I would have thought he was too self-absorbed to think of anything except vampires.  But, like EmeraldRose, I liked the thought of him feeling a kinship to Chris because of the panic he saw in Chris's face - panic that would have made him feel as though he were looking into a mirror showing him his past self.

Did Jonathan Frid hurt his right hand or did Barnabas? I don't remember Barnabas hurting his hand, but there was a bandage on it today.  Am I being dense?

I wonder, was it was a blooper when Chris saw the pentagram on Carolyn's face instead of Donna's?
I was wondering that myself, but decided it had to be intentional when it was emphasized so much.  It doesn't make any sense, though.  Maybe the pentagram thinks all blondes look alike.

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2008, 06:08:09 AM »
Oh, one more thing about this terrifically interesting episode: Barnabas suggests an impromptu party at the Old House.  Imagine the five of them - Barnabas, Julia, Carolyn, Chris, and Doomed Donna - heading over there and Barnabas telling Willie to cook up something for all of them while he throws together some of his famous claret cup!

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2008, 06:19:08 AM »
LOL, Lydia.  Perish the thought!

In addition to this ep's significance as Lydia's first, is it the only one so far to say "werewolf"?  I could very well be wrong about that, but I know the first mention of "vampire" is a big deal for fans, and we wouldn't want to discriminate against werewolves.  [hall2_wink]

Offline EmeraldRose

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2008, 06:37:41 AM »
Could be, Midnite. I don't have a definitive answer, but just in case, here's a milestone to mark the (possible) first mention of the word "werewolf". [milestone]

---- Sally -----
[coolg] [hippy2]
----- Sally -----
[snow_bigglass] [hippy2]

Offline Sandor

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2008, 07:28:37 AM »
Lydia, how cool that this was your first episode of Dark Shadows. No wonder you're still a devoted fan with such great insights. It's one of my favorites, not just because of my Briscoe-holic-ness, but because the story is intriguing on so many levels:

Barnabas' interest in the Jennings siblings: perhaps there's a subtext (which should have been noted in the script) that Barnabas doesn't want little Amy to go through the same trauma that poor Sarah Collins had gone through back in 1795 upon discovering that... well... all big brothers aren't necessarily perfect (or human!).

I think Barnabas had his hand bandaged as a result of his recent scuffle in the mausoleum with the werewolf when Carolyn was being attacked. Ring them bells, Elizabeth!

I wish more time was spent delving into Amy's clairvoyance with regard to Chris' victims. She cried when she'd stare at the full moon, she'd see the pentagram on future victims' faces... was she cursed too on some level?

Great performances by all today. Frid and Grayson were sharp, Nancy Barrett was delightfully catty upon noticing Donna's lust for moody Chris, and Briscoe and Denise Nickerson were almost heartbreaking in their scenes - where so much needed to be said, and yet so much was inherently known between the two. 4 stars for this episode. If this were my first exposure to DS, I'd stay hooked too.

-Sandor

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2008, 05:56:36 PM »
Perhaps Amy's abilities come from[spoiler]her gypsy blood and the Collins family seem to have a streak of ESP as in Carolyn,  Liz and David's [/spoiler]
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times