Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0650  (Read 3130 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0650
« on: October 10, 2008, 08:32:28 PM »

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
Re: Discuss - Ep #0650
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2008, 09:21:09 PM »
 [8_1_215] I don't think I tested out the mummy.  MB and Midnite I am having a blast with these lovely ICONS!  They are so much fun!

Onto to the review

Victoria is still so psychotic over Jeff Clark.  I don't care for BD at all and she seems especially worse today.  I think it's all these piratically screaming for Jeff!  UGHHH!!  I actually wished the producers [spoiler]had went with Carolyn Groves first.[/spoiler]  [8_1_209] I guess this is the best way [spoiler]to wrap up Victoria's storyline under the circumstances![/spoiler] I find it rather sad that Victoria, [spoiler]the one who started this whole thing will soon exit our screens![/spoiler] Great to see these scenes between Barnabas and Victoria and for some reason you can feel there is a certain finality to it! I wish Alexandra was playing it though.  Dan really 'effed up, pardon my french, when he didn't bring her back.  I think he was sitting on a potential ratings gold mine. Just think of all of the press for the event and her playing an evil character!  [BOO]

I can't believe Barnabas proposed to Victoria so quickly though, he sure moves fast.  Bless his heart.  :(

It's also nice to see some finality to the Peter/Jeff debacle! I have to say I sure do like RD's threads on today's episode man!  They show his nice chest!  ONLY time I have ever thought he was sexy.  Roger is off to London.  I have read Big Lou twice and I am almost sure he was doing a play!
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2008, 10:24:22 PM »
I forgot this was Betsy's last episode. All I'll say is good bye, Betsy, farewell, and amen. [hall2_wink]

I think Barnabas proposing to Vicki was rather tactless on his part. It's still too soon to expect her to forget about Jeff. Maybe he did it just to try and keep her from leaving Collinwood. I know he loves Vicki, but it seems he's still in denial about her feelings about Jeff.  [hall2_rolleyes]

We won't be seeing Roger for awhile. Too bad, he's gonna miss all the fun! But then again, he did just have his fall from the stairs...that was probably more than enough 'fun' for him. [hall2_grin]

Great ending to the episode. The shock on Barnabas' and Elizabeth's face as they watched Vicki fade into the past along with Peter was priceless.

Offline Joeytrom

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2008, 11:13:55 PM »
Roger was also away during the entire Gerard haunting too.  Perhaps he senses something is in the air and decides to skip town till its over.

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2008, 04:13:52 AM »
I have to say I'm  not sorry to see Betsy fade away. 
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2008, 12:02:27 PM »
Drat, drat, drat.  Finally they find a hairdo that looks good on Betsy Durkin, and it turns out to be her last day.

Who wrote this episode?  I should have checked, because there were not one, not two, but three lines that struck me sour:

1) Vicky goes into this long explanation of how Jeff will always be with her even though he's gone, and asks Barnabas, "Do you understand?"  Barnabas responds (words approximate), "I understand that you're telling me you're not going to marry me."  Ooh, I've heard that before.  There you are, trying for a meeting of the minds, and the one you're talking to yanks the subject right out of your hands and turns it against you.

2) Barnabas says, "Shall we say our goodbyes now?" and Vicky answers, "If that's what you want."  In other words, "Hey, it's your choice, don't blame me if you end up not liking it."

3) Roger is about to leave for London, and he says to Barnabas, "While I'm gone, would you try helping Liz?"  As in: "You've never lifted a finger for her before. Why don't you try being useful for a change?"

I know, I know.  None of these things were meant unkindly, and in the show, none of them were taken unkindly.  But the first item pushed a huge button in my mind, and after that I guess I was just on the lookout.  I'm willing to consider the possibility that Louis Edmonds messed up on his line.  Maybe Roger would ask if Barnabas would "mind" helping Liz, rather than "try".

On to another subject...we never do get a good answer on how Peter Bradford did what he did.  If I were Vicky, the first thing I would ask when he spoke would be: "Where have you been?  What have you been?  And when I get an astral projection, will it be pink instead of blue?"

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2008, 05:48:58 PM »
Of all the people to try to convince Vicki to move on, we get Liz and Barnabas-- she who spent 18 punishing herself for the way her marriage ended, and Barnabas who continued to pine for Josette 175 years after losing her.  Yeah.  It does make sense, however, to have Roger "Cassandra who?" Collins insisting that Vicki should just get over it.

And not only was Barnabas premature in proposing to Vicki, she was still married.  Wouldn't she have to file for a divorce?  I'd love to see the scene where she hires Tony Peterson and explains that her husband abandoned his temporary body to return to his own time.  Then he has to explain to her that she can't use abandonment as grounds for divorce if he's still dropping by her room for occasional visits.  Or something.  Sorry.  [hall2_rolleyes]

Ron Sproat is the writer, btw.

I have to say I sure do like RD's threads on today's episode man!  They show his nice chest!  ONLY time I have ever thought he was sexy.

Have you seen "Ride the Wild Surf"?  You might enjoy seeing Roger in his beach scenes.  Just turn the volume off, hee hee.

Buh bye, Betsy!  You seem like a dear woman, but you were horribly miscast.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2008, 05:56:10 PM »
I'd love to see the scene where she hires Tony Peterson and explains that her husband abandoned his temporary body to return to his own time.  Then he has to explain to her that she can't use abandonment as grounds for divorce if he's still dropping by her room for occasional visits.

[lghy]  But such situations soon become typical. Makes one wonder if Collinsport eventually needed to develop its own set of "special" laws for all these odd circumstances. I can just envision the classes at the local law school being taught to cover them.  [wink2]

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2008, 07:02:46 PM »
1) Vicky goes into this long explanation of how Jeff will always be with her even though he's gone, and asks Barnabas, "Do you understand?"  Barnabas responds (words approximate), "I understand that you're telling me you're not going to marry me."  Ooh, I've heard that before.  There you are, trying for a meeting of the minds, and the one you're talking to yanks the subject right out of your hands and turns it against you.

Midnite beat me to the idea that Barnabas is the last person to say 'yes I understand', though if he had, and had said it in a way that left the impression that it was something he'd been thinking about, that might have been a nice moment.     
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Joeytrom

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2008, 07:47:45 PM »
Although it was stated that Peter Bradford took over the body of a man named "Jeff Clark"...

[spoiler]Could the body have actually been that of Ned Stuart?[/spoiler]

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2008, 09:34:05 PM »
[spoiler]I think both Stokes and Clark/Bradford said there was a man named Jeff Clark whose body was taken, and while Stokes could have been guessing, Clark/Braford wouldn't have been.[/spoiler]

[candle_in_skull]
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2008, 07:44:16 PM »
Midnite beat me to the idea that Barnabas is the last person to say 'yes I understand', though if he had, and had said it in a way that left the impression that it was something he'd been thinking about, that might have been a nice moment.

Magnus, I've been thinking about this, and while an "I understand" from Barnabas would have been the thoughtful thing to do in this situation, would it have been true to the character?   Doesn't he usually take the "me, me, it's all about ME" route?

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2008, 08:03:05 PM »
Magnus, I've been thinking about this, and while an "I understand" from Barnabas would have been the thoughtful thing to do in this situation, would it have been true to the character?   Doesn't he usually take the "me, me, it's all about ME" route?

An exaggeration Midnite, but yes, I thought it would have been a nice moment of change in his character.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2008, 08:12:12 PM »
Okay, gotcha.

Offline loril54

• Senior Poster
  • Long Live DS Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2008, 03:13:47 PM »
It was lame and dumb of Barnabas to ask her to marry him.  Dose he think that Vickie can't support or take care of herself?  Better yet, how is Barnabas going to support them? I bet Julia wishes that he would just move on. 

Barnabas moving into Collinwood does save him upkeep of the Old House, but I wonder what he thinks of Mrs. Johnson cooking?
Vote for Jonathan in the Walk of Fame.

http://www.canadaswalkoffame.com/nominate