Author Topic: The Rev. G. Trask: A Man Well On the Road To Perdition!  (Read 1607 times)

Offline Bob_the_Bartender

• Senior Poster
  • "Serenity is my favorite emotion."
    • View Profile
The Rev. G. Trask: A Man Well On the Road To Perdition!
« on: April 04, 2003, 04:18:34 AM »
Hey gang,

As a public service (and, as the 1897 storyline regretably nears its denouement), I would like to review the specific rules of the Ten Commandments, that the Rev. Trask has flagrantly violated during his time at Collinwood:

Vl.  Thou Shalt Not Kill.

Initially, the Rev. Trask enlisted the services of Evan Hanley, long-time attorney and semi-proficient practitioner of the Black Arts, to "program" Latin teacher Tim Shaw in a Manchurian Candidate-like murder of Minerva Trask, the reverend's diffident and kindly wife of many years.

Later, the reverend, in a last, desperate attempt to maintain control over Collinwood, strikes a deal with a particularly feckless fop to "off" wife number two.  Clearly, the Rev. Trask has broken this commandment.

Vll.  Thou Shalt Not Commit Adultery.

Whew!  Where do I start with this obvious moral transgression?  The "randy" reverend has hit on just about every woman in and around Collinsport.  To quickly review this extensive list, we have: Rachell Drummond, Dorcas Trilling, assorted lonely but wealthy widows, and, of course, one very voluptuous young woman by the name of Ms. Amanda Harris.

Can we ever forget the Rev. Trask's all-too-obvious and transparent offer to "mentor" Ms. Harris in her hour of "spiritual need"?  I mean, how disgusting was it to see this over-the-hill and over-sexed coot hit on this beautiful and beguiling young woman?  And, haven't we all seen this sordid and shameful scene played out before on a much larger stage?  (I wonder if "Gregory," being the incurable romantic that he is, also, ever sent a copy of Walt Whitman's book of poetry, "Leaves Of Grass," to his comely "charge," Ms. Harris?)

Vlll.  Thou Shalt Not Steal.

You really have to admire the reverend's gradual "progression" of thievery as he continually violated this commandment with increasing skill and cunning.

Initially, the reverend was content to cheat teachers Rachell Drummond and Tim Shaw out of some of the meager wages owed to them as employees of Trask's school, Worthington Hall.

Later, the reverend "graduated" to ripping off lonely and affluent widows of their financial assets.  Of course, the Rev. Trask hit the big time when he conned Judith Collins into marrying him, thereby, giving him spousal control over Collinwood and its vast financial empire.

Trask's proficiency in defrauding people reminds me of some words of advice that Professor "Lombardi," my college auditing professor, gave us many years ago.  Said the CPA to my class:  "Ladies and gentlemen, if you're going to commit fraud, never steal anything small.  If you are going to risk serious time in a federal penitentiary, always go for the large amount!"  Somehow, I think that Professor "Lombardi" would have approved of the scope of the Rev. Trask's lack of probity.

IX.  Thou Shalt Not Bear False Witness Against Thy Neighbor.

Remarkably, the Rev. Trask only violated this commandment once, when he tried to set up the learned but vainglorious Tim Shaw for the murder of the first Mrs. Gregory Trask, the mother of the formerly frigid Charity Trask.

X.  Thou Shalt Not Covet Thy Neighbor's House, Nor His Wife, Nor His Maidservant, Nor His Ox, Nor His Ass, Nor Anything That Is Thy Neighbor's.

What can I say about this commandment?  Is there anything that the Rev. Trask has NOT coveted/lusted after?

Given time, I suspect that Lady Kitty, Beth Chavez (if she had lived) and just about every other attractive lady in the entire state of Maine would have been a potential conquest for Dark Shadows' own version of Tartuffe.

In conclusion, I think that the Rev. Gregory Trask (who, by my count has broken, at least,  five of the Ten Commandments) is, arguably, the most loathsome character ever to appear on Dark Shadows.  I mean, Gregory Trask even makes Jason McGuire look like Father Flannagan, by comparison!

If Trask continued on with his ignominious behavior, there would have been the necessity for two more commandments, specifically:

XI.  Thou Shalt Not Consort With Disciples Of The Devil.

and

XII.  Thou Shalt Not Plot To Drive Thy Wife Bananas, Or, Failing That, "Offing" Thy Old Lady.

Bob the Bartender, who wonders if the Sci-Fi program "Scare Tactics" (hosted by the vivacious Shannon Doherty) will have as long and succesful a run as "The Dream Team" (hosted by the mysterious Annabelle Gurwitch and that guy with the extremely bad hair style)?

Offline Birdie

• Senior Poster
  • And her little dog too
    • View Profile
Re:The Rev. G. Trask: A Man Well On the Road To Perdition!
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2003, 02:35:01 PM »
Bob, how right you are.  Gegory Trask is IMHO the most evil or the evil on DS.  Petofi is evil, but he is in your face about it.  Trask hides and misuses the cloth he wears.  That is far worse.  If we thought about it I am sure we could find a few more commandments he has broken.

Thou shall not take the Lords name in vain.  Everytime he uses the Lord's name it is in vain.

Birdie
Birdie--
God please put your arm around my shoulder and your hand across my mouth

Offline jennifer

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2003, 03:04:41 PM »
just finished watching the scene in which gregory "gets his"
one of the best revenge scenes of the series! love the surprize
judith left for him in the room!

jennifer
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2003, 12:37:36 AM »
It's too bad the Reverend Gregory Trask didn't hook up with the real Pansey Faye when he had the chance.  They could've been the Jim and Tammy Baker (and wasn't her maiden name Faye?) of the 1890's.

Gerard

Offline Bob_the_Bartender

• Senior Poster
  • "Serenity is my favorite emotion."
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2003, 04:49:00 PM »
Gerard,

I tell you, I would have been delighted to see the Rev. Trask, just as Judith and Tim were about to place the last brick in the wall, look at them soulfully through that small slot, with tears streaming down his face, and beseech them, declaring dramatically, "I am a sinner!"

Bob the Bartender, avid televangelist viewer.

Offline Cassandra

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2003, 07:55:44 AM »
 Hi Bob, I was just thinking that it would have been great if the whole family (Charity/Pansy included) could have been up there also along with Judith & Tim to bid the Rev.Trask a nice "farewell" song altogether!

Here's something they could all sing: (to the tune from the Micky Mouse farewell song)

"Now it's time to say goodbye,
  to your rotten company,
  G-R-E-G  - O-R-Y     T-R-A-S-K!!!"  [82e4]   [6283]

Charity/Pansy would have loved it!! [5363]

Cassandra[/font]
"Calamity Jane"

Offline jennifer

• DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2003, 02:37:38 PM »
i know that there has been a lot of debate about it
but i always felt that dear Gregory was the most
evil! he didn't use magic (maybe a little help from Evan)
and i was glad to see him get his!

jennifer
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2003, 05:09:18 PM »
Hi Bob, I was just thinking that it would have been great if the whole family (Charity/Pansy included) could have been up there also along with Judith & Tim to bid the Rev.Trask a nice "farewell" song altogether!

Here's something they could all sing: (to the tune from the Micky Mouse farewell song)

"Now it's time to say goodbye,
  to your rotten company,
  G-R-E-G  - O-R-Y     T-R-A-S-K!!!"  [82e4]   [6283]

Charity/Pansy would have loved it!! [5363]

Cassandra[/font]

I could see Charity/Pansy convincing those who were still hanging around Collinwood (Judith, Edward, Jamison, Nora) to form some sorta Von Trapp family singers.  Who knows - they might've gone for it, after all that they went through, just to bring some sunshine into their lives.  Can you picture them on some vaudeville stage in New York, doing their own version of "I Wanna Dance With You", along with Nora doing a heart-warming rendition of "I've Written a Letter to Daddy".

Gerard

Offline Philippe Cordier

• (formerly known as Vlad)
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2003, 12:20:05 AM »
It's too bad the Reverend Gregory Trask didn't hook up with the real Pansey Faye when he had the chance.  They could've been the Jim and Tammy Baker (and wasn't her maiden name Faye?) of the 1890's.

"Faye" is a woman's name.

One would have thought that "Pansy Faye" is her first and middle name, but then Kitty came along and addressed her as "Miss Faye."  Perhaps that was a faux pas on Lady Hampshire's part, though.

Re: Rev. Gregory Trask ... there seems to be a pathological streak in the family.  There are scenes that indicate that Trask really believes he does have a pipeline to the Almighty ...

"Collinwood is not a healthy place to be." -- Collinsport sheriff, 1995

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2003, 03:18:21 AM »
Re: Rev. Gregory Trask ... there seems to be a pathological streak in the family.  There are scenes that indicate that Trask really believes he does have a pipeline to the Almighty ...

Not exactly an uncommon belief on this planet, is it?
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2003, 04:32:28 AM »
One would have thought that "Pansy Faye" is her first and middle name, but then Kitty came along and addressed her as "Miss Faye."  Perhaps that was a faux pas on Lady Hampshire's part, though.

I think it's meant to be her last name.  There's Leticia Faye in 1840, who is also referred to as Miss Faye (and played by NB), though it was never stated that the two women were related.

Connie

« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2003, 06:54:37 AM »
... there seems to be a pathological streak in the family.  There are scenes that indicate that Trask really believes he does have a pipeline to the Almighty ...

Nah - I don't think he's THAT delusional.  He knows he's a fraud.  I mean, did anyone see him praying to the Almighty to get him out of that jam??

"I think not."  says Judith.

Hee hee hee