Author Topic: And C.D. Tate Created Amanda H. and What's-His-Name!  (Read 3765 times)

Offline Bob_the_Bartender

• Senior Poster
  • "Serenity is my favorite emotion."
    • View Profile
And C.D. Tate Created Amanda H. and What's-His-Name!
« on: March 12, 2003, 12:00:36 AM »
Hey gang,

So far, we've seen Mr. Tate, the temperamental and tortured artistic genius, create two seemingly "perfect" people after conjuring them up on his artist's canvas.

Yes, the breathtakingly beautiful Amanda Harris and that unnamed, dark-haired fellow, two vacuous (not to mention vapid) "b.p.'s" (beautiful people).  You know, Amanda and that silent, dark-haired fellow make Halle Berry and George Hamilton seem like Ma and Pa Kettle by comparison, IMHO.

By the way, that short-lived, dark-haired fellow originally reminded me of the late Sergio Franchi, the fine singer/actor from Italy.  However, on second thought, I think that Tate's artificial man looks more like Edward Villella, the ballet dancer who once guest-starred on an episode of "The Odd Couple," with Jack Klugman and the toffee-nosed Tony Randall.  (Maybe I'll just call that fellow, "Orville," for want of a better name.)

In any event, I can't believe that the magically-talented Tate stopped whipping up so-called "perfect people" after creating Amanda Harris and "Orville."  Here are a few other self-absorbed automatons, who, I believe, may have sprung to life from Charles Delaware Tate's canvas:

Madonna Ciccone
George Clooney
John Davidson
Michael Douglas
Bianca Jagger
Geraldo Rivera
Martha Stewart
Catherine Zeta-Jones

Can you think of any other "beautiful bubbleheads/bobbleheads," who may owe their very own existence to Mr. C. D. Tate?

Bob the Bartender, former student of the John Nagy Learn To Draw School.

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re:And C.D. Tate Created Amanda H. and What's-His-Name!
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2003, 12:50:26 AM »
Oh yeah;

Pamela Anderson
Whitney Houston
Anna Maria Alberghetti
Anna Nicole Smith
Diana Ross
Greer Garson
Burt Reynolds
Tony Curtis
Mary Pickford
George W. Bush
D. W. Griffith
L. B. Mayer
Darryl Zannuck
Harry Cohn
Howard Hughes
Joe Dimaggio
Mike Tyson
Lois Lane
Pottsie Webber
Speed Racer
Darth Vader
Godzilla
and GIGANTOR

(Sorry for the misspellings)

Offline Birdie

• Senior Poster
  • And her little dog too
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2003, 01:12:34 AM »
He must have done a painting of Dick Clark!

Birdie
Birdie--
God please put your arm around my shoulder and your hand across my mouth

Offline jennifer

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2003, 06:35:23 AM »
Loni Anderson
Stephen Baldwin
George w Bush(also)
J Lo
Dan Quayle
ReggiE Jackson
Joe N.
Ann Colter
sean Hannety(or wait is he The Beaver?)
to name a few others!

jennifer
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Connie

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2003, 06:49:57 AM »
CHARO !!
"Cuchi - Cuchi !"

-CLC   ;D

Offline Cassandra

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2003, 09:06:47 AM »
MICHAEL JACKSON![/size][/b]
[peepwall]
"Calamity Jane"

Offline victoriawinters

• Senior Poster
  • Total ENFJ Geek!
    • View Profile
    • victoriawinters.net
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2003, 09:19:48 AM »
CHARO !!
"Cuchi - Cuchi !"

-CLC   ;D

actually, i wouldn't knock her too much.  yes, she did marry a really OLD zavier cugat and did that stupid blond thing on TV.  BUT, she really is in her own right a highly trained classical guitarist who is quite entertaining.  i saw her in person once in HI while on a vacation a very long time ago.  i didn't think i'd like her but i did.

she is really not stupid.  it takes a brain to play that well sorry to say.

Connie

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2003, 11:03:17 AM »
actually, i wouldn't knock her too much.  yes, she did marry a really OLD zavier cugat and did that stupid blond thing on TV.  BUT, she really is in her own right a highly trained classical guitarist who is quite entertaining.

Who's knocking Charo?  I've always liked watching her.  And yes, I KNOW she's a classical guitarist.  I believe she studied with Segovia for a time.

I KNOW the stupid blond thing is an act.  But I always got a kick out of it.

Cuchi  Cuchi  !!!!      :P

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2003, 03:36:53 PM »
Charo is fab. My dad always got a kick out of her. I used to [rollr] every time she'd pronounce Massachusetts. I remember being blown away the first time I saw her play guitar on television. Your inclusion of her cracked me up, Connie. LOL.

dom

PS - Carol Burnett's imitation of her was priceless!

Offline Cassandra

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2003, 09:36:38 PM »
Dom wrote:
Pottsie Webber

LOL!!!!

"Calamity Jane"

Offline Bob_the_Bartender

• Senior Poster
  • "Serenity is my favorite emotion."
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2003, 11:24:30 PM »
Jennifer,

I loved your list, but instead of Stephen Baldwin, did you perhaps mean Alec Baldwin, formerly a/k/a "Mr. Kim Bassinger"?  (By the way, you know your acting career is most definitely headed the wrong way, when you appear as the so-called "center-square" on the new version of "Hollywood Squares," as the always bumptious Mr. (Alec) Baldwin has recently done!)  Believe me, occupying the "center-square" is the show business "kiss of death."  (Just ask Gary Burghoff!)

Two other possible candidates, who may have originally been Tate "creations" are Paul Begala and Robert Novak of CNN's "Crossfire."

Mr. Begala, with the blonde hair and with that seemingly perpetual smile and cackle, reminds me of Frank Gorshin as "The Riddler" on the old "Batman" TV series.  All they need to play is that same "Riddler" music whenever Paul Begala begins to laugh! (I almost expect Mr. Begala to say to his colleague: "Riddle me this, Mr. Novak!")

Of course, Mr. Novak, with his seemingly constant lugubrious facial xpression (not to mention his gloomy, pessimistic outlook on the future), reminds me of Darth Vader of "Star Wars" fame.  (Robert Novak may also be the only man in America, who still wears a vest with his woolen suit, seemingly, even on the hottest July Washinton D.C. dog day of summer!)

Bob the Bartender, who, as an old saloon keeper, agrees that you should never discuss politics or religion in your gin mill.

Offline VictoriaWintersRox

• Full Poster
  • Vickified
    • View Profile
    • The Regal Beagle
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2003, 12:22:54 AM »
I KNOW the stupid blond thing is an act.  But I always got a kick out of it.

OT: I so agree. Charo was great, especially during her appearences on The Love Boat. I remember seeing her on Chico & the Man the season after Freddie Prinze died (which was also the last). Other than Jack Albertson and Scatman Crothers there wasn't much left of that show by then.

As for me, I wouldn't say anyone was the child of CDT and his canvas. If someone said I was the child of CDT I'd find the nearest Widow's Hill and jump off of it.  :P

Offline RingoCollins

• Senior Poster
  • I think it was the trousers
    • View Profile
    • Fans On The Run
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2003, 01:24:07 AM »
Chico & the Man the season after Freddie Prinze died (which was also the last). Other than Jack Albertson and Scatman Crothers there wasn't much left of that show by then.

I found an article in a 1981 TV Guide that tells the story of the demise of the show after the above reality was reached.  Seems like Charro has the coochie coochie of death!

An executive for the network went on to explain,

'The network was trying VERY hard to save that show, going so far as to try to make Charro a regular, and were gonna call the show:

Chico, Charro, and The Man

Of course the funniest man ever to be was still alive then, and they wanted to add him, too.  They were gonna call the show:

Chico, Charro, Groucho and The Man

Then they wanted Walt Disney Productions to add an animated elephant as a regular character.  They were gonna call that show:

Chico, Charro, Groucho, Dumbo and The Man

They also had plans to try to get the Teen Urban Audience and The Jackson Five were going thru a slup. So they pitched show including an 'only slightly weird' brother. They were gonna call that show:

Chico, Charro, Groucho, Dumbo, Tito and The Man

Surprisingly they didn't get the J5 to do the music, but an up and coming group who had success with a song about Barbara Feldon.  The band insisted on being included in the show's title. They were gonna call that show:

Chico, Charro, Groucho, Dumbo, Tito, Toto and The Man

When an up and coming Irish band found out about this, they pitched their frontman into the producer's office.  They paid ALOT  of money to get him a role on the show.  This is infact where they learned the 'payola' technique that would a few years later gain then so much wide spread popularity.  The payola conditions required the singers name to also be included in the title. They were gonna call that show:

Chico, Charro, Groucho, Dumbo, Tito, Toto, Bono and The Man

The show was getting more crowded, but not more funny, so they tried to add some comedy to the roster.  An up and coming comedian, gunning for Carson's Grail and an old classic funny man down on his luck were both added to the show, with both insisting their names also be added to the title of the show to try to help their show biz stock value.  [a fight broke out to see how the placement would be, with an alphabetical solution being reached - the loser stuck his chin out, which went on to become his trademark] This show was to be called:

Chico, Charro, Groucho, Dumbo, Tito, Toto, Bono, Bozo, Leno and The Man

The sponsors were tired of waiting so long for their ads to run, due to the bumpers for the commercials now taking 45 seconds to read.  Their solution was to demand the names of their products - both ironically similar - to the name of the show.  It would now be known as:

Draino and Beano present: Chico, Charro, Groucho, Dumbo, Tito, Toto, Bono, Bozo, Leno and The Man

But the nail in the coffin of the show was when former Beatle John Lennon's wife [instructed by her numerologist] had John buy her way onto the show, with similar payola techniques as U2.  Adding her name to the show apparently was too avant garde.  The show was called, of course:

Draino and Beano present: Chico, Charro, Groucho, Dumbo, Tito, Toto, Bono, Bozo, Leno, Yoko Ono and The Man

It only lasted a week.'

;)
We sing, we dance.....and we don't need pants!

Offline jennifer

• DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2003, 01:41:18 AM »
Jennifer,

I loved your list, but instead of Stephen Baldwin, did you perhaps mean Alec Baldwin, formerly a/k/a "Mr. Kim Bassinger"?  (By the way, you know your acting career is most definitely headed the wrong way, when you appear as the so-called "center-square" on the new version of "Hollywood Squares," as the always bumptious Mr. (Alec) Baldwin has recently done!)  Believe me, occupying the "center-square" is the show business "kiss of death."  (Just ask Gary Burghoff!)

heehee Bob you are right should have made it any of The Baldwins !
of course should have added Roger"the fathead"Clemens to the list His picture in The SI
swimsuit issue makes me want to hurl [puke]
a few others
Dennis Rodman
Dennis Miller

also saw Charo in Las Vegas> She is Good!

jennifer
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Connie

« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2003, 09:33:43 AM »
But the nail in the coffin of the show was when former Beatle John Lennon's wife [instructed by her numerologist] had John buy her way onto the show, with similar payola techniques as U2.  Adding her name to the show apparently was too avant garde.

ROTFL !   Ringo, I swear.  You are one of a kind.

Wait!  I think there were a couple of other short-lived revival attempts.  A politician with high aspirations was thinking of running for office and bribed his way into the line-up.  Also, I heard that a feeble attempt at correcting the Yoko Ono fiasco was made, but it didn't help.  I think the final outcome was:

Draino and Beano present: Chico, Charro, Groucho, Dumbo, Tito, Toto, Bono, Bozo, Leno, Yoko Ono, Mario Cuomo, Perry Como and The Man

8)