Author Topic: Lt. Forbes Question  (Read 3301 times)

Offline Patti Feinberg

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
    • View Profile
Lt. Forbes Question
« on: December 22, 2004, 02:23:39 PM »
HAPPY HOLIDAYS!!

Okay, if memory serves, when Vicki first goes back to 1795, Lt. Forbes is.....outside the Old House?

Why was Forbes in the lives of the Collins' anyway?

Thanks,

Patti
What a Woman!

Offline Nelson Collins

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Lt. Forbes Question
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2004, 06:58:17 PM »
if memory serves, when Vicki first goes back to 1795, Lt. Forbes is.....outside the Old House?

Why was Forbes in the lives of the Collins' anyway?

IIRC, Lt. Forbes was a friend of Barnabas' and also working for the Collins' shipping line I think as liason to the Navy.

There's not a man on my ottoman, there hasn't been one in weeks.
There's not a man on my ottoman, he's gone off to fight the Greeks.

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2004, 02:50:12 AM »
forbes' transformation from amiable fellow to deviant scoundral was swift and descisive.they played almost as two different characters.
but in this story,with barnabas' transformation,perhaps it was meant to show how one's character can change abruptly under extreme circumstances.

it was nice to get to see joel crothers play against type.joe haskell was so even-keeled(until a certain vampire/witch gets involved).
this question has come up before in relation to alexandra(who left the show just before joel)but if he had stayed with the show...might he have been cast in the 1897 story?and if so as whom?
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline stefan

• Full Poster
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2004, 06:25:09 AM »
forbes' transformation from amiable fellow to deviant scoundral was swift and descisive.they played almost as two different characters.
but in this story,with barnabas' transformation,perhaps it was meant to show how one's character can change abruptly under extreme circumstances."

I bet Nathan Forbes was J. Crothers' role of a lifetime. I also agree that the transformation was very successfully acted and written. He became such an evil dude by the end of 1795 it was a bit of a shock but the way JC played him I bought it as it seems he gave Forbes a "dark" spark right from the beginning. Forbes was certainly a more interesting character than the other guy he played (forgot the name). I bet he had fun playing him. I lked the little touches JC gave example- how he kept touching his face lightly whenever lying or contemplating mischief Or his loud insensitive laugh.

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2004, 04:35:20 PM »
What I also thought worked well was when [spoiler]Suki showed up.  Until then, Forbes was such a determined nothing-can-hurt-me-as-I-do-whatever-I-want-to-get-what-I-want fellow, nothing scaring him.  And suddenly along comes his wife who can ruin everything and he's absolutely terrified, backed into a corner, and completely vulnerable.  What no one else could do to harm him, one little lady was able to.  And she knew it - some of the best scenes were when she would come very close to exposing her "brother" before everyone, taunting him with innuendoes, watching him sweat, making him wonder if she was about to lower the boom.[/spoiler]

Gerard

Offline Miss_Winthrop

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2004, 05:11:43 PM »
I think Joel Cruthers did a great job in portraying Forbes.  Here was this scoundral who always succeeded in bumbling around and getting things terribly wrong. He was clever to be sure but always ended up overplaying his hand.  I liked how he played the character and really showed how versatile his acting skills were IMO. I could see him compete with Trask for Judith's money in 1897.
One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.
~Virginia Woolf

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2004, 05:46:28 PM »
Forbes' intro was great. I really enjoyed the character (and the way he wore his pants, lol), as it was such a change from Haskell (did I spell that correctly?). But at some point the character's charm wore off for me and I became somewhat disinterested in him. Having to watch Forbes' death scene, two or three times, really grated on my nerves. I think it was one part over-acting and two parts unlikeable character that did him in for me. I felt the same way about Joe, loved him as good old Joe, but once things got really hairy for him, I found him harder to watch. But of course, that's just me and my take on it. Love Mr Crothers anyway.

dom

Offline Heather

• Senior Poster
  • It's an Orbach's, darling...
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2004, 08:52:26 PM »
Forbes' intro was great. I really enjoyed the character (and the way he wore his pants, lol)

[santa_cheesy]  Ohhhh yeah, The best part about 1795 --aside from all the intrigue, character development, costumes, and whatnot  [santa_wink]--

Those tight, TIGHT breeches! {squeal}   [10]

Sorry ::cough:: distracted by a visual there.  LOL

Now back to the discussion at hand....

Wenchily,

Heather  [santa_kiss]

W: http://hrh22.home.comcast.net

In case you didn't realize....Julia rules!  :-*

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2004, 09:26:45 PM »
Heather,

If you haven't already seen it, you might want to check out the following topic, which was posted back when the 1795/76 storyline last ran on Sci-Fi. It seems as if it wasn't just the audience who might have had a "fascination" for the Lieutenant's "wardrobe."  [wink2]

[santa_grin]

I wonder what sort of message Lela Swift was trying to send with this shot from episode #449??

(IMG)

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2004, 10:16:40 PM »
just another little thought on steady joe haskell...he's the only major character that never really carries his own storyline.he gets caught up in other character's stories(carolyn,maggie,angelique)but it's never really joe's story.

as nathan forbes he was more pivotal to the action.
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline Heather

• Senior Poster
  • It's an Orbach's, darling...
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2004, 03:43:40 AM »
Heather,

If you haven't already seen it, you might want to check out the following topic, which was posted back when the 1795/76 storyline last ran on Sci-Fi. It seems as if it wasn't just the audience who might have had a "fascination" for the Lieutenant's "wardrobe." [wink2]

LOL, MB...Thanks!  [santa_evil]  My...you always get the best screen shots. ;)  I swear, if I had the 1795 DVD's, and it wasn't too...adult...for the board, I'd be compiling pics for a "Best Package under the X-Mas Tree" thread as we speak...   [91a2]

-Heather (who's been acting a bit giddy since I found out that I've made the Dean's list for the fourth semester in a row... whoo-hoo!  [santa_cheesy]  [8_2_59]  [santa_rolleyes])

W: http://hrh22.home.comcast.net

In case you didn't realize....Julia rules!  :-*

Offline Josette

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2004, 05:51:19 AM »
-Heather (who's been acting a bit giddy since I found out that I've made the Dean's list for the fourth semester in a row... whoo-hoo! 

Congratulations, Heather!!!!

[clap][clap][clap] [crowdhappy][crowdhappy] [clap][clap][clap]
Josette

Offline stefan

• Full Poster
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2004, 02:18:41 PM »

"I think it was one part over-acting and two parts unlikeable character that did him in for me. I felt the same way about Joe, loved him as good old Joe, but once things got really hairy for him, I found him harder to watch. But of course, that's just me and my take on it. Love Mr Crothers anyway."

I sorta agree with this and I'm not sure why that is. Forbes and Millicent should have been more interesting than they turned out to be. Both are very competent actors yet, for some reason, I rarely think of either of them after I watch my tapes.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2004, 03:04:39 PM »
Forbes and Millicent should have been more interesting than they turned out to be. Both are very competent actors yet, for some reason, I rarely think of either of them after I watch my tapes.

Maybe I'm in the minority, but the Millicent/Nathan sub-plot is one of my favorite parts of 1795/96. [spoiler]Joel Crothers did an incredible job with Forbes and his turn from affable good-guy to all-out-for-himself skum. And Nancy Barrett - I can't even come up with enough superlatives to describe her performances once Millicent went over the edge after realizing how Forbes had manipulated her. In particular, her work in the scene in the tower with Louis Edmond's Joshua after Barnabas had attacked Millicent is nothing short of brilliant. No matter how many times I watch it, I'm always in awe. For me it definitely ranks as one of the ten greatest moments on the original series.[/spoiler]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2004, 03:17:05 PM »
-Heather (who's been acting a bit giddy since I found out that I've made the Dean's list for the fourth semester in a row... whoo-hoo!

Now that's what we DS fan/teachers like to see - someone with a healthy (OK - a more than healthy ;)) obsession with DS who doesn't let it get in the way of their school work. Congrats!  [thumb]