Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0461  (Read 2016 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0461
« on: May 20, 2013, 08:01:46 PM »
Robservations #461

And if you'd care to look back, the first WP discussion topic for this ep:
Re: Discuss - Ep #0461

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2013, 04:49:24 AM »
The family in the future or present is shown again. Yes! Then back in the past as Vickie is rehung today. Barnabas says looking angry,"What are you doing here?"  As the show Miss Wick and then reveal that she was hung in the past in place of Vickie who is screaming on the floor. Julia reveals she is a doctor with little ado over the matter. Vickie is confused as to which Barnabas she sees and puts herself once again in danger with her confusion and running her mouth. Julia manages to save her from Barnabas and she quickly recalls she was in another time.  The time travel explanation makes no sense but it does explain the DS version, I think.
There is a really great interview with Nancy Barrett after this episode where she says she was the most normal and most 60's character on the show and that she had a hard time justifying why Carolyn was not at college.
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2013, 06:06:26 AM »
Finally, I wanted to do an ep. comment before bed tonight.   1968!   How could anyone question Vicki's time travel story, after what they've seen, plus the 1795 dress she's in?   Nice real screams from poor Ms. Wick.    They managed a great sense of "moment", whatever I may mean by that.... momentousness?
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2013, 03:31:32 PM »
Elizabeth demands to know why Barnabas always seems to know so much more than the rest of the family. He attributes it to a lucky guess. The only lucky part is that Elizabeth is much too concerned for Vicki to question him further.

When Vicki is sedated and calmer, Elizabeth comes to visit and regards her with pity and sympathy (quite as Naomi would have done). Julia has the grace to apologize for deceiving the family, and she too is lucky that Elizabeth is still concerned for Vicki. Both women are puzzled by Ben's rough field dressing, secured with two ends of the fabric rather than adhesive tape, and the fact that she seems to have been shot with a pistol ball.

Later, Barnabas visits Vicki. My dear, he calls her. (When Barnabas calls someone "my dear," it’s usually a sign that they are actually in mortal peril.) Vicki wakes up, but still confuses the past with the present and can't distinguish between the Barnabas of 1795 and the Barnabas of 1968. Sitting on the bed, Barnabas says, I apologize for coming to your room [some old habits never die, I guess], but I was concerned about you and wanted to make sure you were better. I’m very confused, Vicki admits. Feigning only mild interest, Barnabas asks, What about? About you, Vicki replies. She explains, When Josette came to see me in jail, she said you were dead. [I think it was actually Joshua who first told her.] You’re safe now, my dear--you’re back at Collinwood, Barnabas assures her. Anxiously, Vicki insists, I didn't put a curse on you--I never would. Barnabas reassures her (though he has to look away as he says it), I know you didn't (who better?). With remarkable presence of mind, he adds, I’ve never felt I was under a curse. Still terrified, Vicki continues, I tried to save Josette's life by telling her and the countess that on the last day of her life, Josette would lose a black onyx ring--like yours. Barnabas tries to hide his fear, but it only increases when Vicki says, Millicent told me it was a secret that you were alive. Fearfully, Barnabas asks Vicki, Why was it a secret? Still partly sedated, Vicki replies apologetically, I can’t even remember if I knew why or not. Just then the door opens. Get out, Barnabas, Julia orders him flatly. At first he refuses, but Julia warns him that she'll get Elizabeth and Roger. Barnabas reluctantly goes after glaring at Julia. I’m sorry I frightened him, Vicki says confusedly. Don’t worry about it, Julia tells her.

Much later, Barnabas summons Carolyn and seems to be threatening to kill Vicki!

Barnabas's industrial-strength eye makeup is nothing to the VINYL eyeliner that Vicki wears even in bed! Gone are the days….

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2013, 06:39:44 PM »
Argh! I completely forgot that Elizabeth is wearing the awful yellow robe/housecoat thing at the séance--if that's actually what she was wearing. Does anyone remember what she--and everyone else--wore in the episode where Vicki actually goes back to 1795?

Offline Joeytrom

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2013, 10:09:52 PM »
I remember Elizabeth wearing that housecoat when Vicky was set to 1795.

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2013, 11:03:14 PM »
 [easter_cheesy] [easter_cheesy] [easter_cheesy]

Offline Nicky

• Full Poster
  • It will be as if you are dead..I promised you that
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2013, 01:01:30 AM »
I think they managed to match the clothes.  Not the actress playing Phyllis Wick, however; we started with Dorrie Kavanaugh in November of 1967 and finished with Margot Head in 1968.   [easter_grin]
"And the dark and terrifying thing you find there will turn your blood to ice!"

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2013, 06:47:28 PM »
I guess time travel can sometimes be a transformative experience.  [easter_wink]

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2013, 07:18:42 PM »
What I always find fascinating is that even though time was suspended, everyone somehow managed to change their positions within the room:

Ep #365:

Ep #461:

But, hey - I guess we should just be grateful they're all wearing the same clothes!  [easter_grin]

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2013, 08:05:22 PM »
That's funny!  [easter_smiley] [easter_smiley]

Offline Nicky

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2013, 12:35:31 AM »
I find it highly suspicious that both Phyllis Wicks are wearing Angelique's famous orange dress ...

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2013, 07:03:40 AM »
Welcome back Vicki. I wonder how many fans had faith in Vicki surviving the hanging? I wonder if there were any promos for it, etc? How weird is it to jump back into the tension of the present? I was a slightly shell-shocked from the discourse between Julia & Barn & Carolyn even though it made sense, it’s just that I’d forgotten where we left off in the present, I guess.

As the character puts it in the next episode, Julia simply replaces one lie with another in explaining to Liz that she is a doctor and can take charge of Vicki’s recovery – much to Barn’s chagrin. The present day Barnabas is taking a bit of getting used to – for me.

Offline Nicky

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2013, 02:25:21 AM »
I can recall being EXTREMELY stressed out while watching the 1991 series finale -- I guess I knew intellectually that Vicki would probably survive and make it back to the present okay ... but there was that little niggling doubt ...

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2013, 04:11:06 PM »
If there were any promos for the return to 1968, I don't honestly remember them. The thing about the show is that sometimes ABC heavily promoted the storyline switch with actual promotional ads featuring some sort of footage (1967 to 1795, 1897 to Leviathans, Leviathans to 1970PT (a personal favorite)), while other times it was simply a voiceover that played a few times over the closing credits of some of ABC's other daytime shows (1970PT to 1995, 1995 to 1970, 1970 to 1840) - while other times there was absolutely nothing, which I suppose was because they didn't want to give away anything. For example, one would think the switch from 1969 to 1897 would have been heavily promoted - but I don't remember much of anything. Certainly there wasn't anything like the 1795, Leviathans, and 1970PT ads.