Author Topic: Guthrie vs. Stokes  (Read 845 times)

Offline Fletcher

• Junior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
Guthrie vs. Stokes
« on: March 07, 2006, 05:52:15 AM »
I don't remember Dr. Guthrie.  But, seeing the photos and captions here on the website recently, it seems Guthrie is very much an earlier version of Stokes.   Is that correct?

I am am HUGE Stokes fan, and believe he played a crutial role on DS.  I'm surprised to see an earlier character so similar to Stokes.

To those of you who have seen more episode than myself -- what were the major similarities and differences between Guthris and Stokes?

Offline Shadowsfan

• Junior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
Re: Guthrie vs. Stokes
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2006, 06:02:21 AM »
Guthrie had no charm or depth of perception like  Elliot Stokes.    It's too bad that Thayer didn't play the role since the charecter he was playing was killed off not long before.

Offline PennyDreadful

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Terror at Collinwood
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2006, 04:53:38 PM »

Stokes, in my opinion, was far wiser than Guthrie.  Peter Guthrie was a great character, but why on earth would he....

[spoiler]flat out tell Laura, a powerful and dangerous supernatural being, that he is going to basically "out" her to everyone.  Any time he confronted Laura, he took NO precautions whatsoever, even though he knew how dangerous she was.  Despite his intelligence and knowledge of the paranormal, his obvious lack of common sense cost him his life.[/spoiler]

Otherwise, he was a neat character to have around.  Still, I'd much rather have Professor Stokes on my side than Guthrie.   
TERROR AT COLLINWOOD
A podcast dedicated to 'Dark Shadows'
https://www.terroratcollinwood.com/

PENNY DREADFUL'S SHILLING SHOCKERS
Weekly hosted horror and suspense films!
On television scare-waves throughout Haunted New England
http://www.shillingshockers.com

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2006, 01:20:34 AM »
Guthrie had no charm or depth of perception like  Elliot Stokes.    It's too bad that Thayer didn't play the role since the charecter he was playing was killed off not long before.

i'll have to disagree with this.i found dr.guthrie to be a very interesting character.

his on-screen chemistry with laura was excellent.thier cat-and-mouse scenes really crackle.
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.