Author Topic: Comeuppance  (Read 4934 times)

Offline Miss_Winthrop

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
Re: Comeuppance
« Reply #30 on: November 26, 2002, 04:56:11 AM »
I'm one of the minority who doesn't mind Rachel. Barnabas is attracted to her because she looks like Josette and we all know he can't stay away because of that fact.  Quentin, well, extremely handsome man that he is, a womanizer from the get go, can't help himself either.  What's the point of having someone locked up in the tower if nobody is going to try and sneak up there and see who it is?
One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.
~Virginia Woolf

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 26, 2002, 06:33:13 AM »
Barnabas  is hot for Rachel because she looks like Josette.  Rachel looks like Josette because KLS is playing the part.  I think we're on to somthing here that we haven't mentioned before.  Some of these characters might only exist because the actors did.

John Karlen made the comment that by this point, being in this show was like being in a repertory company.  Which means that parts needed to be found (created) for as much of the company as possible.  Not only were they making it up as they went along, they were trying to keep everyone employed while they were making it up!!

Okay, so I still think the writers as a group were not earning their keep....but I'll grant that it could not have been easy having to consider who needed work (not to mention who's fans were getting restless) while trying to make the story comprehensible.

raineypark
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 26, 2002, 07:46:36 AM »
Okay, so I still think the writers as a group were not earning their keep....but I'll grant that it could not have been easy having to consider who needed work (not to mention who's fans were getting restless) while trying to make the story comprehensible.

I know what I'm about to say isn't really appropriate for this thread,

But (lol),

IIMHO that Dan's "five actors per episode" rule really mucks things up for the writers also.

dom

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #33 on: October 07, 2006, 03:46:22 AM »
My only problem with Rachel was she never had the guts to come clean about her past to the Collins family. She knew what Jamison and Nora had in store for them when they were sent to the school, yet Rachel kept quiet because she allowed Trask to intimidate her once too often. I really feel more sorry for the children than I do her....she could have gone to Judith or Edward (or even Quentin since he had no use for Trask) and told them everything about Worthington Hall, but she didn't.

Poor Jamison and Nora had to suffer because Rachel didn't have the courage to take a chance and save them from the horrors of the school she herself suffered through.

I don't hate Rachel, I just wish she had more backbone.

Offline Josette

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 07, 2006, 06:54:21 AM »
My only problem with Rachel was she never had the guts to come clean about her past to the Collins family. She knew what Jamison and Nora had in store for them when they were sent to the school, yet Rachel kept quiet because she allowed Trask to intimidate her once too often.

I don't hate Rachel, I just wish she had more backbone.

I wish she did, too, but it seems quite comprehensible.  I think it's on the order of a battered wife who is afraid to leave or tell anyone about her husband.  Here was Rachel safe at Collinwood - surely she could have refused to return.  But she was an orphan, she grew up in that school - and who knows what Trask did to her over the years.  When he comes at her again, she's afraid to stand up to him.  (I think there was also something about protecting the children, that since they were there, at least she could try to help them.)
Josette