Author Topic: Comeuppance  (Read 4932 times)

Offline kuanyin

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Comeuppance
« on: November 20, 2002, 03:13:47 AM »
Oh, how I enjoyed Rachel distress today! I could practically hear her thoughts:

"What?!! Barnabus has a FIANCEE? I thought he was in love with meeeee?! What?!! Tim is going to marry Charity? I thought he was in love with meeee?! EVERY MAN in the world is supposed to be in love with meeeeeee! Hmmm, maybe if I get my eyes even bigger and blanker and act EVEN stupider, they will love meeeee again....

Then,

Magda: Are you brave?
Rachel: Not very, I'm a stupid bimbo, haven't you noticed?
Magda: Oh well, geeve me your JEWels and I will use my brains to help you. I am verrrrry smarrrrttt....
Rachel: No, I couldn't sleep in a mausoleum even if it DOES save me from a fate worse than death..come to think of it if Rev. Trask rapes me, I wouldn't be responsible and.....well, thinking of it, makes me kind of...is it hot in this mausoleum?
"If a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing badly, rather than not at all." G.K. Chesterton

Offline Patti Feinberg

• DSF God
    • View Profile
Re: Comeuppance
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2002, 04:49:40 AM »
:o
oh my my ;D
Patti
What a Woman!

Connie

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2002, 05:26:19 AM »
"What?!! Barnabus has a FIANCEE? I thought he was in love with meeeee?! What?!! Tim is going to marry Charity? I thought he was in love with meeee?! EVERY MAN in the world is supposed to be in love with meeeeeee! Hmmm, maybe if I get my eyes even bigger and blanker and act EVEN stupider, they will love meeeee again...

ROFLMAO !!   YES!

A+++++++

Ya know what else?  I'm so sick of hearing her sob story that I don't even CARE if she ends up back at that school.
Just get her away from MEEEEEE!  LOL

-CLC

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2002, 07:52:50 AM »
Thank goodness.....

I was afraid I was the only one here who thought Rachel deserved a swift kick in the keister for being such a nit-wit.

raineypark
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline A.I.Collins

• Full Poster
  • Look into those sexy eyes....
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2002, 08:30:07 AM »
LOL!...I found her chat with Magda in the hallway a wee-bit funny myself!..especially when Magda asks if she is brave!..Rachel...? Brave?...C'mon..you could look at her the wrong way and she would start crying.

Adra
Dark Shadows...my little ball of sunshine!!!

Offline Cassandra

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2002, 12:01:20 PM »
Kuanyin Wrote:

"What?!! Barnabus has a FIANCEE? I thought he was in love with meeeee?! What?!! Tim is going to marry Charity? I thought he was in love with meeee?! EVERY MAN in the world is supposed to be in love with meeeeeee! Hmmm, maybe if I get my eyes even bigger and blanker and act EVEN stupider, they will love meeeee again....

I think she's FINALLY beginning to realize that she's not the CENTER of everyone's attention! [wow]

And what's up with this not wanting to have anything to do with Barnabas anymore?  HELLO, did she ever hear of the word FRIEND?  The guy is engaged, not dead! (no pun intended) ;-)
"Calamity Jane"

Offline Luciaphile

• ** Collinsport Commentator **
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2002, 04:55:08 PM »

I think she's FINALLY beginning to realize that she's not the CENTER of everyone's attention! [wow]

That is, as far as I can see, the problem with Rachel. The family wanted her to fade into the background and do the job they paid her to do--not that I'm saying that I can't sympathize with the awfulness of that--but Rachel was bound and determined to be at the center of the plot, so she put herself there.

And what's up with this not wanting to have anything to do with Barnabas anymore?  HELLO, did she ever hear of the word FRIEND?  The guy is engaged, not dead! (no pun intended) ;-)

Well, I dunno. He sure as hell wasn't acting like a friend to her. Gave her expensive gifts, one of which was jewelry, which she accepted after knowing the man, what? a couple of days? Did all that soulful staring into her eyes and gave her the Josette line . . .  This is not a guy who wants to be bestest buddies and Rachel in her sneaky, whiny heart knows it.

Plus with the fiancee giving her the look of death, well, most women would be writing that relationship off in entirety.

Luciaphil
"Some people ask their god for answers to their spiritual questions. For everything else, there is Google." --rpcxdr-ga

Offline jennifer

• DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2002, 04:17:39 AM »
ROTFL too! Great thread kuanyin!
ick i worked witha woman like that today!"Doesn't the world evolve around MEEEE" also agree with Luciaphil
she  hardly is doing the job she is being paid for so
no wonder they are sending the kids back to that school!

jennifer(have joined can't stand Rachel club soon to add can't stand Amanda Club!)
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline Birdie

• Senior Poster
  • And her little dog too
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2002, 05:58:05 AM »
I have decided Rachael will go for just about anyone in pants.  Actually, who is it she is suppose to be attracted too?  

Barnabas--gives great gifts, has money, escape from the governess world

Tim--great looking, good friend

Quentin- well who wouldn't be attracted to him. As our Annie says humm.....

I think she would have taken just about any of those guys  I don't think she was too heart broken about Barney engagement, just the lost opportunity.

Birdie
Birdie--
God please put your arm around my shoulder and your hand across my mouth

Offline onyx_treasure

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2002, 06:04:30 PM »
I have decided Rachael will go for just about anyone in pants.  Actually, who is it she is suppose to be attracted too?  

Barnabas--gives great gifts, has money, escape from the governess world

Tim--great looking, good friend

Quentin- well who wouldn't be attracted to him. As our Annie says humm.....

I think she would have taken just about any of those guys  I don't think she was too heart broken about Barney engagement, just the lost opportunity.

Birdie

This is my impression of Rachel, too.  Rev. Trask seems obsessed with her.  Do you think she gave this impression to Rev. Trask and he is trying to change her attitude from "anyone but you"?  She is not a flirt  but very needy.  Of course, Barnabas would fall for this.  Quentin would not fall for this type of women but I could see him use her.  Quentin would be unavailable in her hour of need without the slightest regret.  However, Barnabas has been unavailable, too.
There are two means of refuge from the misery of life--music and cats.  Albert Schweitzer

Offline Luciaphile

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2002, 04:25:48 PM »

This is my impression of Rachel, too.  Rev. Trask seems obsessed with her.  Do you think she gave this impression to Rev. Trask and he is trying to change her attitude from "anyone but you"?  She is not a flirt  but very needy.  Of course, Barnabas would fall for this.  Quentin would not fall for this type of women but I could see him use her.  Quentin would be unavailable in her hour of need without the slightest regret.  However, Barnabas has been unavailable, too.

As much as I loathe Rachel, I suspect that the Trask stuff happened because he's a pervert. He just seeps with the child molesting vibes.

Quite willing to blame some of Rachel's self-destructive tendencies on Gruesome Gregory.

Still think she's a sneaky twit though.

Luciaphil
"Some people ask their god for answers to their spiritual questions. For everything else, there is Google." --rpcxdr-ga

Offline Cassandra Blair

• Full Poster
  • Hey sailor, how 'bout I light your Lucky?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2002, 07:50:18 PM »
Wow.  Guess I'm the only one who feels sorry for Rachel.  While she doesn't always make the best choices, and does stick her nose in where it doesn't belong, that isn't very different from Victoria Winters, who seems a revered character on this board.

I find it puzzling and a little troubling that this character engenders such a hostile attitude considering her background.  Rachel Drummond was a penniless orphan who nobody wanted around.  She was shunted off to Worthington Hall where she was mentally, spiritually and possibly physically raped at the hands of the Trasks, who are among the most despicable of DS characters.  Lately, she was betrayed by Tim Shaw, the only real friend she ever seems to have had.  And we all know what her fate will be.

Yet within this thread this character has been referred to as a sneaky twit, and a stupid bimbo, who will go for anyone in pants.  It's implied that she deserves whatever comeuppance she gets.  Now, I am no fan of the typical 'helpless female' character either, but isn't this a little harsh?

Maybe I'm being oversensitive.  Please know that I'm not trying to attack anyone's opinion...I'm just saying.  
My lady abandoned heaven, abandoned earth...to Ray's Wig World she descended.

Offline Luciaphile

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2002, 08:40:35 PM »
Wow.  Guess I'm the only one who feels sorry for Rachel.  While she doesn't always make the best choices, and does stick her nose in where it doesn't belong, that isn't very different from Victoria Winters, who seems a revered character on this board.

For me at least, I think the distinction comes from the writing. When Vicki went a snooping, usually there was some relatively logical reason for her to do so (e.g. hears sobbing in the middle of the night and is worried someone needs help).  And at least for the first year or two, Vicki actually appeared to be doing the tasks she was employed to do.

I find it puzzling and a little troubling that this character engenders such a hostile attitude considering her background.  Rachel Drummond was a penniless orphan who nobody wanted around.  She was shunted off to Worthington Hall where she was mentally, spiritually and possibly physically raped at the hands of the Trasks, who are among the most despicable of DS characters.  Lately, she was betrayed by Tim Shaw, the only real friend she ever seems to have had.  And we all know what her fate will be.

Yet within this thread this character has been referred to as a sneaky twit, and a stupid bimbo, who will go for anyone in pants.  It's implied that she deserves whatever comeuppance she gets.  Now, I am no fan of the typical 'helpless female' character either, but isn't this a little harsh?

Maybe I'm being oversensitive.  Please know that I'm not trying to attack anyone's opinion...I'm just saying.  

Well, I'm going to repeat myself here, but here goes.

She shows up to a job that we now know she desperately needs. Although the signals are crystal clear, she does anything and everything she can to jeopardize the job. When she ignores the non-verbalized cues (employer becomes rigid, uptight and looks threatening at mention of his wife; mistress of the house gives her the stare of death), these are then verbalized: Mrs. Collins is a forbidden subject; Stay out of the tower room. Mind your own business, etc.

Rachel still goes right on ahead and disobeys those requests.

As for her going after anything in pants (not quite how I said it), her very first day on the job the obviously dissolute brother implies she's a whore. Does she act upset? Does she suck it up and ignore him? Does she stay the hell away from him? Hell, no. She's off standing in the moonlight in like five minutes.

She accepts valuable gifts from a virtual stranger.

She goes off to meet said virtual stranger in the middle of the night.

Given the Victorian time period, these are not the actions of a nice girl. Hell, given our time period, a lot of these are not the actions of someone of high moral character.

I have all the sympathy in the world for the character's experience under the probably-abusive care of the Trasks, but that still doesn't excuse all the sneaking around, the lies, the not doing her job.

Luciaphil

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2002, 08:43:49 PM »
Wow.  Guess I'm the only one who feels sorry for Rachel.

No, Cassandra B, you're not the only one.

dom

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2002, 09:05:20 PM »
For me at least, I think the distinction comes from the writing.

As it always seems to!!  I agree with Luciaphil, that it's the writers who can't seem to decide about Rachel.

As a survivor of abuse, Rachel should realistically lean towards one of two models...either "that which did not kill me made me strong" or "please don't hurt me".  Either she's strong enough to stand up to the Trasks (and bright enough to keep her position by not sticking her nose in where it doesn't belong) or she's too cowed and terrified to risk her position by behaving like Nancy Drew on a mystery adventure!

Once again, the writers have written a character so badly that even tho she would seem to deserve all the sympathy in the world, it's hard for many of us to feel it.

And while I'm on the subject of bad writing....is it actually possible that ALL of this multitude of storyline threads will come together at some point with some coherency?  I've already found it necessary to draw up a scorecard to keep the relationships straight!

raineypark  

"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas