Author Topic: FAVORITE SCENE FEATURING DENNIS PATRICK  (Read 2535 times)

Offline VAM

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Muted
  • Senior Poster
  • Adding to my canvas of life...
    • View Profile
FAVORITE SCENE FEATURING DENNIS PATRICK
« on: October 15, 2002, 02:05:53 AM »
I thought in tribute that everyone could share their favorite scene or scenes on DS  that featured Dennis Patrick. I like the one when as Jason he is trying to calm down Willie after his run in with Burke Devlin. Also Jason's initial blackmail scene with Liz.
It is a good day because I am still ticking!

Offline ms._hoffman

• Junior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
Re: FAVORITE SCENE FEATURING DENNIS PATRICK
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2002, 02:47:59 AM »
I thought in tribute that everyone could share their favorite scene or scenes on DS  that featured Dennis Patrick. I like the one when as Jason he is trying to calm down Willie after his run in with Burke Devlin. Also Jason's initial blackmail scene with Liz.

I liked the scene when Willie tried to stop Jason from opening Barnabas' coffin.

Offline Miss_Winthrop

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2002, 03:22:20 AM »
My favorite is the scene in which Barnabas and Jason meet up for the first time in the foyer.  You could just see how Jason was calculating how much of an interference this cousin from England would be to his plans for Liz's money. He bested Barnabas in that scene very well indeed and the later scene in the drawing room when he inquires of Barnabas..'just what is it that you do..?..great stuff.

I loved all of the scenes between Dennis and Willie, Liz, Roger and Carolyn.  Even his scenes where he hammed it up a bit were well worth watching.  
One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.
~Virginia Woolf

Offline kuanyin

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2002, 04:21:29 AM »
Well, it is really hard, because I love them all. But, when Willie was first bitten by Barney and still staying at Collinwood...Jason's concern for his friend was quite touching. I also liked the suspicious Jason when he discovered that Willie had been asking about the family history!
"If a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing badly, rather than not at all." G.K. Chesterton

Offline Eleanor_Rigby

• Full Poster
  • So it goes -- Kilgore Trout
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2002, 05:08:38 AM »
I enjoyed all of Dennis Patrick's scenes as Jason.

Previous posters have mentioned favorites so the one I'm describing is from that Leviathan storyline when DP played Paul Stoddard.  I thought he was good in that role too even though I wasn't fond of that storyline.  Anyway, he and Barnabas are sparring in the Blue Whale about the debt he owes to the Leviathans.

Barnabas says something like it's your most precious possession.

Paul laughs and says oh my soul?

And Barnabas laughs more and says oh no, not your soul! just as Carolyn comes in.

Then Paul realizes that Barnabas means Carolyn.

The look on his face.

I will miss him.  
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Dr. Seuss

Offline Luciaphile

• ** Collinsport Commentator **
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2002, 05:42:54 AM »
Jason was my favorite Dennis Patrick character, but I did like his work as Paul as well, so I'm going to include two scenes.

Paul:  It's a small little scene really.  He's just met up with Liz, who has, shall we say? found a new religion ;) He's justifiably worried about events that are unravelling and her goal is to throw him off track.  The scene sizzles with this weird chemistry (Patrick and Bennett had that in spades) and both actors manage to invest the scene with all sorts of implied history and subtext.

Jason: God, it's so hard to choose.  Like kuanyin, I enjoyed them all.  I rather enjoyed the one where he's going on and on about a forgotten toast from a picnic and peach trees and Elizabeth is trying to lay down the law to him.  It had a great mixture of charm and menace, which really, when you boiled down the Jason character was what he was all about.

Luciaphil
"Some people ask their god for answers to their spiritual questions. For everything else, there is Google." --rpcxdr-ga

Offline Cassandra

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2002, 10:39:39 AM »
Kuanyin Wrote:
But, when Willie was first bitten by Barney and still staying at Collinwood...Jason's concern for his friend was quite touching.

I really liked Dennis Patrick as Jason and this was one of my favorite scenes. It showed a more caring side to Jason when he saw how sick his pal Willie was after the Vampire attack.

Another favorite was when Jason and Carolyn were in the Drawing room at Collinwood and they were having a long talk about Carolyn's father, Paul Stoddard.  Jason was telling Carolyn all kinds of nice stories about her father and Carolyn was ever so happy to hear about them.  Whether or not he was telling the truth is another matter, but it did make Carolyn very happy to hear these things. Since these kind of "caring" scenes were very rare with Jason, I thought they were great and they stuck in my mind.  You couldn't help but love him!

Kuanyin Wrote:
I also liked the suspicious Jason when he discovered that Willie had been asking about the family history!

I thought this was great too.  Jason always made me laugh with the things he came out with sometimes.
I remember when he found some Jewels on Willie that belonged to Barnabas and had asked him where he got them. When Willie refused to tell him, Jason remarked, " I heard you've been hanging around the Collins Masoleum latley Willie, since when did you take to robbing stiffs?!"

I also adored his Irish Brogue and thought he was quite the charmer on the show. I had almost wished that Liz had married him.  She probably would have had the most fun she's ever had in her life!

He is definetely going to be missed.
This was a very nice idea Vam!
"Calamity Jane"

Offline VAM

• Muted
  • Senior Poster
  • Adding to my canvas of life...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2002, 12:53:39 PM »
He is definetely going to be missed.
This was a very nice idea Vam!

It really is small by comparison to the many hours of wonderful entertainment and happiness that Mr. Patrick gave to us. I too will miss him. Thanks Cassandra.
It is a good day because I am still ticking!

Offline Julianka7

• Senior Poster
  • Collinwood casts a long shadow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2002, 03:03:38 PM »
I agree, this is a very thoughtful and wonderful idea
Vam :)
You all have described so many great scenes that
Dennis Patrick played. So instead of describing a
scene, I'm just going to say I love his smile and
the twinkle in his eye.

Offline elizabeth

• Junior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2002, 06:08:28 PM »
Jason is one of my favorite characters.  I especially like all the scenes between him and Elizabeth.  What a lovable rogue!
I must go to my room and rest.

Offline jennifer

• DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2002, 06:49:23 PM »
any scene with Willie was great!

jennifer
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline Dr. Eric Lang

• Senior Poster
  • Julia . . . Julia . . . when you do the experiment
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2002, 08:33:17 PM »
My favorite is the scene in which Barnabas and Jason meet up for the first time in the foyer.  You could just see how Jason was calculating how much of an interference this cousin from England would be to his plans for Liz's money. He bested Barnabas in that scene very well indeed and the later scene in the drawing room when he inquires of Barnabas..'just what is it that you do..?..great stuff.

You beat me to the punch, Miss Winthrop, this is my favorite Jason McGuire scene as well. However, I didn't perceive that Jason "bested" Barnabas, although they were almost equally matched. Barnabas was easily the first one to come along that wasn't intimidated by Jason in the least. In fact he seemed a bit amused by him; and that unnerved Jason slightly. What we never knew is how much Barnabas knew about Jason, thru Willie, at that point.

Just about any scene w/Jason McGuire was priceless. It's a shame they didn't bring DP back as Jason rather than Paul Stoddard, since the latter incarnation was mired in a rather disastrous story line.

Offline jennifer

• DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2002, 08:46:24 PM »
His obit made the Boston Globe today and it did mention
DS(as campy as usual) It was a nice write up and i'm glad he had his due. Fine actor he'll be missed and i believe he is not suffering anymore.

jennifer
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Selby_D._Pearson

« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2002, 12:59:43 AM »
One of the scenes where Dennis Patrick's acting skills shined brilliantly was Jason's last encounter with Vicki at the Blue Whale. I think that Dennis had been very good at presenting a truly despicable character who was very good at hiding his vulnerabilities. As he is about to leave a town where most everyone despises him, his meeting Vicki at the Blue Whale presents him with perhaps his last chance of at least one person's forgiveness. Of all at Collinwood, Vicki has been the most fair to him. Although his pride does not allow him a direct apology (to Vicki) for all the hurt he has caused, I felt that beneath Jason's cocky projections Dennis was allowing the villain one last attempt to offer an olive branch with at least one of the people he has wronged. Vicki, feeling the hurt of Elizabeth more than her own, rejects Jason's rare extended hand. Not showing his hurt, Jason then immediately reverts to his cold, bitter and tormenting demeanor. And in a shocking final retaliation, he unexpectedly strikes at Vicki's most vulnerable secret, leaving her stunned.

"Vicki," he says. "Oh, Vicki, Vicki, Vicki. I wonder about you. I wonder just how corruptible YOU are? Hmm? What would it take? What's YOUR price?"

"There is NO price. And there never will be," she replies.

"Oh, don't be so sure. The time may come very soon when a price just might be extended."

"What do you mean?" she asks.

"Ah... just generalizing, that's all."

"Well, in that case, you're talking through your hat."

"Now that is something I never do," he says, insulted. "All right, Miss Morality. The time for YOUR test will come very soon. I'm just sorry I won't be around to see it, that's all."

"I don't know what you're talking about."

"Well, where ever I am I'll be laughing at you, Vicki Winters. And don't you forget it."

"There's nothing as sad as a hollow threat," she says as she walks towards the door.

With his back to her, Jason fires his ammunition. "Vicki Winters! Just who ARE you? And WHERE do you come from?"

"Why do you ask that?" she replies, stunned.

"Because I know that you don't know the answer to those questions. Well, I was in this vicinity 18 years ago. And maybe I DO know the answers."

"What do you know?"

"Whatever I know, my dear, I'll take with me when I go."

"You're only trying to hurt me."

"Am I succeeding?" With that, Vicki turns and runs out the entrance of the Blue Whale. Jason looks after her with perhaps (thank to Dennis Patrick) a look of regret for hurting Vicki so much. But immediately, the sociopathic part of Jason washes away any guilt with a gulp full of beer.

Thank you, Dennis Patrick, for your wonderful characters!

SDP

Offline Misty

• Full Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2002, 01:59:46 AM »
Oh, he was absolutely marvelous as Jason---the scenes mentioned previously with Barnabas and Vicki were some of my favorites. I somehow remember him first for the scene with Joan Bennett (as Paul) when she first sees him. He was so ----I can't even think of a word to describe him-------almost triumphant, as in " I pulled one over on you!" He was always at his best in scenes with her.

Sadly missed by Misty
" Small things amuse small minds"--------at least my students have been led to believe!