Author Topic: Excessively Pessimistic and Profusely Irritating Elizabeth  (Read 3248 times)

Selby_D._Pearson

Excessively Pessimistic and Profusely Irritating Elizabeth
« on: July 20, 2002, 10:41:00 AM »
Even when she did stupid things like stay in her house for 18 years, crying her eyes out alone in a dark basement room for a scoundrel husband who wasn't even dead, I respected Elizabeth Collins Stoddard because she always had a quiet dignity that put me in awe.

But in this situation, despite knowing that a curse of constantly thinking of nothing but her own death has driven her to Wyndcliffe, any longsuffering compassion for a person with mental illness fails me. When Barnabas leaves to battle Tom Jennings and Liz is left alone to "watch over" a helpless Julia, the most awful, unfeeling prouncements are made by Liz. I'm sorry, but I'm ashamed to admit that I want to reach into my TV and bitch-slap the morose matriarch as she utters negative observation after negative observation,  while still retaining that authoritive (snobbish) tone of New England "old money".

"She's dead! It's too late to call a doctor," she commands Barnabas and Willie earlier. Later, in Josette's room, she sits by Julia with such comforting words as "They left you alone to die. But I forgive you, even though you helped Roger prepare my coffin. And now, you're dying. You will be buried before I am." Can you imagine being Julia, lying there dying with such condescending assertions being made over you? If I were Julia, I would reach out and grab Liz's perfect hair and say, "Listen you! I'M the doctor, and you're the looney! I'M the one who's paid to pronounce people dead, honey. I don't remember seeing any doctor's license hanging on the wall with all those haughty-taughty ancestors of yours. So, just shut your pie-hole and leave me in peace!"

Sorry, folks. I really do love Liz. But, in sympathy for Julia, Liz really is too much to take in this situation! ;)

SDP

Offline Perankh

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Excessively Pessimistic and Profusely Irritating Elizabeth
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2002, 10:55:52 AM »
I agree with you on this.  I found her to be very irritating today.  She has that sulky look on her face, even more than is normal for her.  I used to tolerate her just fine, but she bugged the hell out of me today. ::)

Selby_D._Pearson

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2002, 11:03:06 AM »
I agree with you on this.  I found her to be very irritating today.  She has that sulky look on her face, even more than is normal for her.  I used to tolerate her just fine, but she bugged the hell out of me today.

Hi Perankh! I don't watch the show on Sci Fi every day but I know approximately where they are. If my calculations are right (darn Sci Fi's wrong episode numbers) I think Liz gets even more irritating on Monday. :-/

Offline ROBINV

• ** Robservationist **
  • Senior Poster
  • The Write Stuff
    • View Profile
    • Personal site of Robin Vogel
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2002, 02:26:19 PM »
As I note often in Robservations, This Liz-fearing-death storyline annoyed me.  I had hoped that when Cassandra "died," Liz' little curse would die with her, but that wasn't so.  I really wanted them to put an end to the whole silly business, because it certainly didn't present Joan Bennett's best acting chops.  

Alas, it isn't to end until the beginning of the next storyline, a long way off!

Love, Robin

Offline Mark Rainey

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • The Realm
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2002, 05:29:47 PM »
This Liz-fearing-death storyline annoyed me.  I had hoped that when Cassandra "died," Liz' little curse would die with her, but that wasn't so.  I really wanted them to put an end to the whole silly business, because it certainly didn't present Joan Bennett's best acting chops.

Every time this subplot rears its ugly head, the show's brakes come screeching on. I don't believe there was ever anything more useless and irritating in the series (with the possible exception of Kathy Cody altogether). I never saw these particular episodes on its first run; it was when the show was in syndication when I was a teenager. I remember my reaction being a great big "OH NOOOOOOOOO" every time Elizabeth showed her face during this period.

Fortunately, there's enough dynamic stuff going on around it to maintain interest. I always figured that they needed to have Joan Bennett do something during the periods when the real spotlight was on the other characters. It's a shame they selected material that did nothing but generate apathy for the character.

[shadow=navy,left,300]--Mark[/shadow]

Offline MikeS

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2002, 10:40:45 PM »
I found the whole "Liz's fear of being buried alive" storyline extremely boring, and drawn out far too long.  I understand they needed to get the character off-screen for a while, but why they kept it going so long after Joan Bennet's return is beyond me.  And as others have pointed out, this storyline doesn't really give Bennett a chance to show off her acting skills.  But at least she gets the chance to shine as Judith in the upcoming 1897 story.

Offline Bob_the_Bartender

• Senior Poster
  • "Serenity is my favorite emotion."
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2002, 11:06:55 PM »
Dear Selby_D_Pearson,

You have certainly articulated your opinion on Liz's current frame of mind and her "candid" extemporaneous comments quite eloquently and convincingly.   I agree that she could employ a great deal more tact and kindness in her dealings with the seriously afflicted Julia.  

However, I'm reminded of something that Fr. John Keating told us back in theology class many years ago: "Ladies and gentlemen, whenever you deal with an exceedingly unpleasant person, just remember, he's more to be pitied than scorned!"

Sincerely,

Bob the Bartender, former Cursillio counsellor

Offline Bj

• Junior Poster
  • I've always been quite fond of you, Liz...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2002, 11:27:48 PM »
However, I'm reminded of something that Fr. John Keating told us back in theology class many years ago: "Ladies and gentlemen, whenever you deal with an exceedingly unpleasant person, just remember, he's more to be pitied than scorned!"

Then under what conditions is someone more to be scorned than pitied? >:(

Bj, who wonders if Bob_the_Bartender actually uses a  random valediction generator.
Jason: "There's just one thing I don't understand..."
Willie: "I didn't do it -- I swear!"

Offline Bob_the_Bartender

• Senior Poster
  • "Serenity is my favorite emotion."
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2002, 11:59:54 PM »
Dear BJ,

As I recall, Fr. Keating said that as true Christians we always pity an individual rather than scorn them.  I guess it's like the Catholic thought: "While we hate the sin, we love the sinner."  I'm sure that you can appreciate that benign sentiment and, possibly, relate to it as well.

Sincerely,

Bob the Bartender

Offline Mark Rainey

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • The Realm
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2002, 12:39:35 AM »
As I recall, Fr. Keating said that as true Christians we always pity an individual rather than scorn them.

Or you could just get 'em drunk. ;)

[shadow=navy,left,300]--Mark[/shadow]

Offline kuanyin

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2002, 02:59:30 AM »
In theory it is easy to understand that depression is an illness and that the person truly can't help it.  In theory, you want to be supportive in their time of need. In reality, you just want to push them away and RUN out of the room never to look back!!! I honestly think this is a natural survival tendancy and though it may seem insensitive, we have this reaction in order to maintain our own mental health. The depressed are very much like drowning people who attempt to pull down their would be rescuers.

Altogether a very poor choice for ratings!
"If a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing badly, rather than not at all." G.K. Chesterton

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2002, 03:47:13 AM »

I have pity for Liz, and scorn for the writers.

Dom

thom

« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2002, 06:51:52 AM »
You guys crack me about poor Liz. But we had one of the best bloopers of all time today..the camera in the Foyer trailing Liz as Julia went out the front door! Hilarious! Was Julia working on a video documentary of Collinwood along with her books on Lang and the Collins family history? And you have to admit that scene of Liz in the graveyard with Tom in the background was creepy..I recall seeing it as a 7 year old when it originally aired and it spooked me. Somehow Tom was a scarier vampire than Barnabas.

Offline Josette

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2002, 06:58:10 AM »
I don't want to get into spoilers, but, while I don't particularly care for this "buried alive" plot, something that happens afterwards, after this part has run its course, a scene that will eventually conclude the issue is really good and it's almost worth going through all of this in order to have that.

Hopefully those who are familiar with it will be able to decipher my vagueness!  And presumably there was no harm to newcomers!!
Josette

Offline Bj

• Junior Poster
  • I've always been quite fond of you, Liz...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2002, 08:01:53 AM »

Or you could just get 'em drunk. ;)

Especially the good-looking ones! LOL! :D

As I recall, Fr. Keating said that as true Christians we always pity an individual rather than scorn them.  I guess it's like the Catholic thought: "While we hate the sin, we love the sinner."  I'm sure that you can appreciate that benign sentiment and, possibly, relate to it as well.

Now you're getting all serious on me, Bob.  I was just trying to be facetious.;)  And are you sure that sentiment originated with the Catholics?  I often hear it spouted by evangelical-types too.
Jason: "There's just one thing I don't understand..."
Willie: "I didn't do it -- I swear!"