Author Topic: How many people did Julia declare dead who weren't?  (Read 2566 times)

thom

How many people did Julia declare dead who weren't?
« on: July 07, 2002, 05:29:39 AM »
has this ever been discussed here before? If it has, I'm sorry but I was thinking back to Jul's premature death notice for Barn when she thought the dream curse had finally got him. I can think of two others(spoilers below)..

she pronounces Carolyn dead when CS is the 'live force' to bring Eve to life and she declares Liz dead when Cassandra returns to carry out the death curse on Liz. Any others?

Offline ProfStokes

• * Ingenious Intellect *
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Re: How many people did Julia declare dead who weren't?
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2002, 07:21:16 AM »
I've always wondered about that too, thom!

S
P
O
I
L
E
R
S

I think she declares Maggie dead toward the end of the Adam&Eve/Nicholas storyline.

She declares Elizabeth dead twice (and on the first occasion, Liz sits bolt upright immediately after the pronouncement); does that count?

ProfStokes

thom

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2002, 05:52:59 PM »
Thanks ProfSTokes I had forgotten about Maggie! And Liz TWICE!! Geesh! This woman should have stuck to her patients at Wyndcliffe. Ah but to hear Grayson intone breathlessly...."she's dead....Barnabas..she's dead!"

Offline Julia99

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • My Fans are Legion
    • View Profile
    • Barnabas & Company
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2002, 07:46:22 PM »
It's almost like thinking of Dr McCoy and all of his famous lines:  "He's dead Jim!"  or "I'm a doctor not an engineer!"  
Julia99

Offline Cassandra

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2002, 11:16:01 AM »
She also pronounced Adam dead as well. ;)
"Calamity Jane"

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2006, 07:08:19 PM »
Love Julia, but definitely wouldn't want her as my doctor!

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2006, 07:22:46 PM »
Let's just say I wouldn't let Julia Hoffman treat a pet squid, much less a human being.

I wonder if her inability to detect a pulse was a matter of poor hearing, or just plain impatience.

In any case, all her patients should have taken a lesson from Liz and demanded never to be buried without a warning system.  I can imagine an entire chorus of early-departed singing "I am NOT dead yet" from "Spamalot!"....[lghy]
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2006, 12:22:07 AM »
Let's not forget that as depicted in today's slideshow, Julia wasn't the only person unable to detect Liz' pulse:

1968: Ep #603 - Vicki discovers Liz has no pulse.

But then again, I suppose the fact that it was Vicki isn't the sort of example that actually helps exonerate Julia, now is it?  [hall2_grin]

Offline Sandor

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2006, 04:07:49 AM »
All of this could explain Julia's lack of an extensive wardrobe (I mean, how many times did we see her in that same green tweed suit?!) - she couldn't afford an Ohrbach's charge card... all her money was going toward malpractice insurance premiums!!

But giving the gal her due, she declared several people were dying (Chris Jennings at one crucial point), and normally tried to save them.

Offline Josette

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2006, 08:08:30 AM »
Let's not forget that as depicted in today's slideshow, Julia wasn't the only person unable to detect Liz' pulse:

However, Julia was a doctor, the others weren't.  Liz had been saying for quite some time that she would appear to be dead but wouldn't be.  Naturally, everyone dismissed that at the time, but when it actually happened, you'd think Julia would have taken more time to be sure.  AND, there had already been a previous incident when she appeared to be dead, but came out of it shortly afterwards.  So, that really should have been a clue to Julia that this could be the same thing, and you'd think she'd wait awhile and perhaps try some other means of determining the truth.
Josette

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2006, 03:37:35 PM »

1968: Ep #603 - Vicki discovers Liz has no pulse.

But then again, I suppose the fact that it was Vicki isn't the sort of example that actually helps exonerate Julia, now is it?  <Halloween grin>

[lol2]  So funny, MB!

Offline Pansity

• Senior Poster
  • Who's Sorry Now?
    • View Profile
    • Jeannie's David Selby Site
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2006, 09:25:06 PM »
However, Julia was a doctor, the others weren't.  Liz had been saying for quite some time that she would appear to be dead but wouldn't be.  Naturally, everyone dismissed that at the time, but when it actually happened, you'd think Julia would have taken more time to be sure.  AND, there had already been a previous incident when she appeared to be dead, but came out of it shortly afterwards.  So, that really should have been a clue to Julia that this could be the same thing, and you'd think she'd wait awhile and perhaps try some other means of determining the truth.

Great thread!  As to the other means of determining the truth, weren't they in an awfully big hurry to bury her?  (At least they didn't go in for embalming, or the whole thing would be a moot point.  If she wasn't dead yet, the formaldehyde would have changed that.) Simple rule of biology:  leave an unembalmed body around a few days and there would be NO doubt if someone's dead or not.

And speaking of premature diagnoses, what about that nurse who was [spoiler]watching maggie when she "died" and Barn kidnapped her from the hospital.[/spoiler] <waves to the medical people on here.> Was CPR used yet (somehow I don't think so), but even if not, didn't they try to bring a patient back with mouth to mouth?   Inquiring minds would like to know, cause that "diagnosis" seemed awful sketchy to me.

My David Selby Fansite (performance & book reviews): http://jwmediafanfiction.com/jeanniesdavidselbysite

My Dark Shadows Fest Pictures site:
http://jwmediafanfiction.com/dsfestpics

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2006, 12:40:50 AM »
And speaking of premature diagnoses, what about that nurse who was [spoiler]watching maggie when she "died" and Barn kidnapped her from the hospital.[/spoiler] <waves to the medical people on here.> Was CPR used yet (somehow I don't think so), but even if not, didn't they try to bring a patient back with mouth to mouth?   Inquiring minds would like to know, cause that "diagnosis" seemed awful sketchy to me.

Hi, Pansity!  So glad you're on the mend, and best wishes for a full recovery.

Mouth-to-mouth resuscitation had been in use more than 200 years, and chest compressions since the turn of the century.  And yes, the use of CPR began in 1960.

I hate when TV makes nurses look stupid.   [santa_undecided]

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2006, 02:45:12 AM »
Julia never declared anybody dead who wasn't dead. They were all dead.  They didn't stay dead.  Once upon a time my brother told his 4-year-old daughter to put a snail, whom she had named Bruno, back in the ocean, because: "Bruno will die if you don't.  You don't want Bruno to be dead, do you?"  The 4-year-old daughter answered:  "Sometimes I want him to be dead, and sometimes I don't want him to be dead."  That's about how it is on Dark Shadows.

Good to see you back and posting, Pansity.

Offline Pansity

• Senior Poster
  • Who's Sorry Now?
    • View Profile
    • Jeannie's David Selby Site
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2006, 03:58:21 AM »
Hi, Pansity!  So glad you're on the mend, and best wishes for a full recovery.

Mouth-to-mouth resuscitation had been in use more than 200 years, and chest compressions since the turn of the century.  And yes, the use of CPR began in 1960.

I hate when TV makes nurses look stupid.   [santa_undecided]

Hi  MIdnight -- Thanks for the good wishes and I'm VERY glad to be back (though I do have a score to settle with that guy Murphy --- been home sick for two days now with something that is trying VERY hard to be bronchitis!)

Thanks for confirming what I thought.  And believe me, I KNOW as regards the medical accuracy.  Two of the more popular panels at Media conventions (centered mainly on fanfiction and fanzines) are historical accuracy and medical accuracy.  Or as the Dr.s and nurses of my acquaintance call it " PLEASE dont make them do THAT!"

My David Selby Fansite (performance & book reviews): http://jwmediafanfiction.com/jeanniesdavidselbysite

My Dark Shadows Fest Pictures site:
http://jwmediafanfiction.com/dsfestpics