Author Topic: OT Quentin Tarantino and possible new Friday 13th movie  (Read 1424 times)

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
OT Quentin Tarantino and possible new Friday 13th movie
« on: March 08, 2005, 12:46:36 AM »
Quentin Tarantino may be writing and directing a new Friday The 13th movie named The Ultimate Jason Voorhees.Two thoughts come into mind. First isn't he suppose to be a big Dark Shadows fan (just wondering why he could not help us out here lol)? Secondly, I can't believe a studio is more interested in this crap than a new Dark Shadows movie. Very frustrating isn't it?
http://www.comingsoon.net/news/topnews.php?id=8637

Offline Mary

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
Re: OT Quentin Tarantino and possible new Friday 13th movie
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2005, 09:11:43 AM »
Holy cats!  Quentin Tarantino carries around a Barnabas cane but wants to make yet another Friday the 13th movie?!  Good grief!  You'd think he'd be calling D.C. and begging him to let him do a DS flick -- I'm sure he'd have some wildly awesome ideas for it! -- and you'd think that especially after the pilot went nowhere that D.C. would be begging Quentin Tarantino to come help him get something going.  But nnnnooooooooooo!!  Sigh.  Anyway, thanks for the link, Jimbo.

Offline Patti Feinberg

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2005, 02:13:41 AM »
It's just speculative at this point...but, come on...

If Quentin Tarantino makes a FXXXIII move...do you think it's going to be true to the genre, or, perhaps a weeeeeeee bit tongue in cheek (as in ROFL,pee in your pants)!

Patti
What a Woman!

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2005, 10:35:55 PM »
Actually, I just read this on Sci Fi Wire:

12:00 AM, 14-MARCH-05
Tarantino Denies Friday Report
Quentin Tarantino denied to Empire Online reports that he was considering directing a Friday the 13th film. "What's happening with Friday the 13th? Nothing at all! It's a complete lie," Tarantino told Empire Online. "I like Jason and everything, but I've no intention of directing a movie. New Line talked to me about it, but it was a complete fabrication, that article. I would love to do a horror film. I'm just saying it's not going to be Friday the 13th.."

Variety first reported the news last week that New Line had contacted the Kill Bill director about helming what would be the "ultimate" Jason Voorhees movie.[/b]

But Tarantino does say "I would love to do a horror film," so you never know if one day he might not do one that's somehow related to DS...

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2005, 11:23:57 PM »
This is just me being snarky.....but if Tarantino did a new DS movie, the buzz wouldn't be about the movie, it would be about Tarantino MAKING the movie.  I can't picture Dan Curtis being okay with that.
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2005, 12:15:50 AM »
Thanks MB for the article. Oh those rumors. lol

I agree with Raineypark that Dan Curtis would probably not let Tarantino direct a new theatrical version of Dark Shadows especially after watching Hogan's interesting take on his directing the WB pilot. I guess DC may permit Tarantino to direct a new TV pilot- just not sure if there is a difference here. I guess the point I am trying to make here is, will DC ever give up directing control to another person in any new DS project? I have a feeling that DC would have more faith in Tarantino than he did with Hogan, however.

Offline Darren Gross

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2005, 12:40:26 AM »
It's not a matter of 'Dan Curtis letting them use another director.  If a studio shows interest in a DS feature, there's not a chance in hell they'd let DC direct it. He has no track record directing features. The last one was 12 years ago and a flop.

He'd be lucky to have a director like Tarantino show interest in doing it and he'd be insane to say no. I doubt a studio would allow him full control over the choice of director.

If the WB wouldn't let him direct a dinky little $5M pilot, they certainly wouldn't let him direct a $50M plus feature! Especially if a star was attached.

Whether I agree or disagree on that fact is moot. Simply as a business decision, it doesn't compute.

Now, if let's say a star came aboard, like a Depp-type heavy hitter and he demanded that the studio let Curtis direct, there would be a chance it could come to pass. Or, if DC put up half the budget himself, though I doubt that would happen since he blew $3 or $4M of his own dough on GOING TO MEXICO/ME & THE KID, was burned by it and certainly won't go down that road again..

Offline Darren Gross

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2005, 12:48:20 AM »
Now, depending on the ratings for Sunday's SAVING MILLY and the ratings/hype for OUR FATHERS, Dan Curtis would probably have a much easier time convincing a network to let him direct a DS pilot, should that be put on the table in the next 8 months.

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2005, 01:28:20 AM »
Thanks Darren for the much needed clarification!!!

The zap2it website stated that the "critically acclaimed telefilm disappointed". It seems Saving Milly scored a 6.1 rating and something like over 9 million viewers. I guess viewers were not in a mood to see a depressing type of movie(or at least what they had anticipated) on a Sunday night and just wanted to be entertained by the other shows out there and it did face incredibly stiff competition.

I hope the lackluster ratings does not hurt the chances on a new DS project. I am hoping that the 40th Anniversary of DS may also increase DS' chances of being revived. Hopefully, Tarantino will show an interest in directing a new DS project.

Offline Darren Gross

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2005, 02:23:03 AM »
Anniversaries, 40th, 30th whatever mean absolutely nothing in the realm of new television production. In fact, it makes the network's 'new, groundbreaking shows' seem less so, if its implied that it's a 40 year old throwback...

DVD companies and such like to throw it on the package and on the press release if its relevant to give it an extra marketing or publicity angle,

But the 30th anniversary angle when pitching the films on DVD didn't mean Jack Shit to them...but if there had been a new series, it would have surely been on the package and press release, ya know?

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2005, 01:15:44 PM »
Anniversaries, 40th, 30th whatever mean absolutely nothing in the realm of new television production. In fact, it makes the network's 'new, groundbreaking shows' seem less so, if its implied that it's a 40 year old throwback...

DVD companies and such like to throw it on the package and on the press release if its relevant to give it an extra marketing or publicity angle,

But the 30th anniversary angle when pitching the films on DVD didn't mean Jack Shit to them...but if there had been a new series, it would have surely been on the package and press release, ya know?

Enough of the spanking. lol

One of the points I raised was that the 40th Anniversary, will at the minimum bring positive media attention to the franchise. I don't see how the anniversary could hurt DS' chances of having studios revisit the idea of a new DS project. This is just my opinion. I thought there was no right or wrong here and we were permitted to freely speculate at this board. In any event, let's hope that something positive will happen in the next 8 months.

Offline Darren Gross

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2005, 05:53:40 PM »
No spanking implied, Jim. Certainly don't take it as such  :o

I'm commenting more on the harsh realities of the industry and the way these decisions are made... Of course we're free to speculate and dream...

I've just learned not to get my hopes up...until I'm given good solid reasons to do so... ;D

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2005, 12:07:27 AM »
No offense taken Darren. I would like to believe that there is always the hope that a new Dark Shadows will see the light of day. It is so frustrating that we were so close to having a new DS series on television only to see it crash so suddenly and unexpectedly. That project had so much potential with Wells backing the project and a strong script by Verheiden. What could have been.... But then I just read at scifi's website that Point Pleasant is expected to be canceled after only 13 episodes. It would have been great to see the launching of the WB DS series but I am not sure if I could have survived another cancellation as in the 1991 series.

Offline Darren Gross

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2005, 02:08:03 AM »
James,

I'm sure some time down the line there will be a DS in some form, either TV, Movie whatever...

We're on the same page on a couple of things...The WB's poor judgment in regards to greenlighting a series last year was a bad thing and a terrible disappointment....I'd love to see a new DS in any form, as well.

Just time and outside interest will tell...You never know what can happen in this town...The Wells thing was 4 months from first sign of interest until wrapping of principal photography...

We'll just have to cross our fingers and hope that whatever circumstances arise to make it happen again.