Author Topic: today in collinsport set-dressing  (Read 1647 times)

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
today in collinsport set-dressing
« on: January 19, 2008, 04:37:58 PM »
today's slideshow reveals a few notable moments in the show's set-dressing.

in 1967 roger's former office at the cannery becomes suddenly...and without explanation...the office of collins family attourney frank garner.

the slideshow also features a shot of the nicely detailed 'kitchenette' part of burke's suite of rooms(a.k.a 'room twently four'/a.k.a 'the presidential suite')at the inn.

sadly this part of the set takes a powder during 'room twenty fours' subsequent use. [snow_sad]
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline Nelson Collins

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Re: today in collinsport set-dressing
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2008, 04:54:07 PM »
Perhaps the Garner's used the same decorator ;)

Regarding Room 24 - is the doorway to the kitchenette just a blank wall in later uses or do we just not see later?
There's not a man on my ottoman, there hasn't been one in weeks.
There's not a man on my ottoman, he's gone off to fight the Greeks.

Offline proudhug

• !!! "Leo" Spotter !!!
  • Junior Poster
  • It's endless ENDLESS!!
    • View Profile
    • CollinWiki
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2008, 05:28:00 PM »
They really didn't add anything to the kitchen, other than a table.  All the kitchen consists of is the counter behind them, which can be seen in most shots of the hotel room.  For this episode, they decided to film from inside that room and point the camera towards the door so they didn't have to add anything to the set.  They also filmed from inside there once when Burke was watching David from the doorway in an early episode.
Help us create the ultimate  Dark Shadows EncyclopediaLearn everything there is to know about the world of Dark Shadows at the CollinWiki!

http://darkshadows.wikicities.com

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2008, 06:42:18 PM »
Here are the slideshow captures being discussed:

today's slideshow reveals a few notable moments in the show's set-dressing.

in 1967 roger's former office at the cannery becomes suddenly...and without explanation...the office of collins family attourney frank garner.

I have to confess that I haven't watched Ep #148 in ages, so I don't honestly recall how the scenes between Frank and Lt. Riley are established, but is it at all possible that Frank could have simply been borrowing Roger's office for the day? Do the Garner's even have offices in Collinsport? I thought their offices were only in Bangor.  [idontknow]

the slideshow also features a shot of the nicely detailed 'kitchenette' part of burke's suite of rooms(a.k.a 'room twently four'/a.k.a 'the presidential suite')at the inn.

sadly this part of the set takes a powder during 'room twenty fours' subsequent use. [snow_sad]

Scenes taking place over preparing coffee or any sort of food/drink (well, other than alcoholic drinks, of course  [snow_wink]) disappear pretty quickly after the first year. No one ever seems to have the time for the mundane acts of daily life. But then, I suppose living days being obsessed with ghosts, witches, vampires, artificially created beings, zombies and who knows what else can have that effect.  [snow_laugh]

Offline proudhug

• !!! "Leo" Spotter !!!
  • Junior Poster
  • It's endless ENDLESS!!
    • View Profile
    • CollinWiki
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2008, 05:29:35 AM »
I have to confess that I haven't watched Ep #148 in ages, so I don't honestly recall how the scenes between Frank and Lt. Riley are established, but is it at all possible that Frank could have simply been borrowing Roger's office for the day? Do the Garner's even have offices in Collinsport? I thought their offices were only in Bangor.  [idontknow]

No, the scene took place in Bangor.  148 was the second and last time the G&G office was shown.  The other time was in 92.  Roger's office at the cannery was shown in episodes 45, 46, 47, 54, 68 and 69.  I'm not sure if the set was reused for anything else.
Help us create the ultimate  Dark Shadows EncyclopediaLearn everything there is to know about the world of Dark Shadows at the CollinWiki!

http://darkshadows.wikicities.com

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2008, 05:59:54 AM »
Roger's office at the cannery was shown in episodes 45, 46, 47, 54, 68 and 69.  I'm not sure if the set was reused for anything else.
There's a 3-page topic about that set on the Games board:  [snow_smiley]

Here is a new game, what room is this, and what else

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2008, 06:54:31 AM »
No, the scene took place in Bangor.  148 was the second and last time the G&G office was shown.  The other time was in 92.  Roger's office at the cannery was shown in episodes 45, 46, 47, 54, 68 and 69..

I haven't seen the ep for some time too, but the History of DS book states that its scenes alternate between Roger's office and Burke's hotel suite.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2008, 07:26:54 AM »
And the episode itself would certainly seem to indicate that as well because I just checked out the opening of Ep #148 and the establishing shot just before the first scene between Frank and Lt. Riley is the same one which is usually used to establish the cannery:

[snow_smiley]