Author Topic: madchen in sleeveless pt.two  (Read 955 times)

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
madchen in sleeveless pt.two
« on: July 26, 2004, 01:48:52 AM »
the show's costuming always has me up in arms.in the past i complained of vicki's limited wardrobe.but in the eps. i watched over the weekend vicki dons a lovely new tomato-red(yes,sleeveless)dress with a black patent belt and full skirt! it's a new silhouette for vic..julia continues to please in finely tailored looks.but the prize went to cassandra.after a psychedelic caftan moment,she appears in a very 1980's looking ensemble of a short purple skirt and cropped,shoulder padded poppy-red jacket.with her glossy black wig she looks for all the world like joan collins. :-*
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline Miss_Winthrop

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
Re: madchen in sleeveless pt.two
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2004, 12:41:06 AM »
 :o  What episodes are you referring to?  I don't remember the Joan Collins look for Cassandra.  This sounds very interesting.

I just have to say that whenever I see the word 'madchen' I think 'transvestite'.  Forgive me, I don't know why that thought just processes through my brain.
One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.
~Virginia Woolf

Offline Patti Feinberg

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2004, 12:55:07 AM »
Are we still talking about 'women' (other thread)...or, mad chien (mad dogs!!) ::) sorry.. ;D

My daughter (who's not in tip-top shape) actually looks good in sleeveless (not dresses...I don't believe they make jumper-type sleeveless dresses anymore).

Patti
What a Woman!

Offline michael c

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2004, 01:44:42 AM »
miss winthrop, i'm not sure of the ep.# but the look in question appears in o.s.v.52.i was quite taken aback...it's so 80's. :-*
patti, we are still talking about "maidens",but it was pointed out i spelled it wrong on the previous thread.it's probably still wrong ::).

Offline Miss_Winthrop

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2004, 11:24:16 PM »
miss winthrop, i'm not sure of the ep.# but the look in question appears in o.s.v.52.i was quite taken aback...it's so 80's. :-*

Thanks for the info.  Original Series V. 52.

I love the 60s, 70s and 80s styles.  It seemed that each decade was so distinctive. To be sure there was some overlapping of decades.  It's not hard to remember what the wardrobe looked like when you think 80s. Big hair, big shoulder pads! Wasn't it great. So distinctive.  70's you think long hair, parted in the middle, hip-hugger bell bottom pants and vests.  For the 60s, I think sleevless dresses, mini skirts and high top boots, ratted hair and 'falls'.   ;D  Did I miss somehing?
~Virginia Woolf

Offline michael c

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2004, 02:23:14 AM »
just in the context of d.s.'s five year run you can see how greatly fashions changed during the tumultuous years that it ran during.in the 1966 eps.,we're still seeing the leftovers of the early 60's "jackie kennedy styles"...boxy shifts and coats,gloves,and stiff "flip" hairdos.by the end of the show's run in 1971 the hair is long and straight and center-parted.the fashions looser and more influenced by certain "hippie-styles"(except on older characters like liz and julia). :-*

Offline Miss_Winthrop

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2004, 01:44:47 AM »
That is so true!  It was such a radical change for Carolyn after 1897. Here she was with an almost total make over. I remember the long, straight lanky hair and the blouses with the big pointed collars from the Leviathan era.

Yes it's true, Barnabas never changed! He had the body type that could probably wear almost any style well.  Roger had the perfect body for the style of clothes that he wore.  So very old money New England country if you will.  I'm watching the pre-Barnabas episodes now and I'm struck by what a handsome man Louis Edmonds was!  
~Virginia Woolf