Author Topic: Episodes 71-76 (Last time I use this format - See Reply #1)  (Read 2237 times)

Offline EmeraldRose

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
Here are my thoughts about these episodes:

Episode #71 -    After a while, Roger's hat magically appeared on the table at the coffee shop where she and Vicki were eating breakfast!  One of the many bloopers!! :D .....I enjoyed watching the many outdoor scenes.  I found out that the police station is across the street from the hotel.  There were even a couple of lines of dialog outside of the cannery!  ;)

Episode #72 - Carolyn sure was jealous of Vicki and Devlin! >:( .....The scenes of Mrs. Johnson being such a picky eater and only giving a 10-cent tip to Maggie were priceless......I loved Carolyn's flip.  I must admit I tried that hairstyle with my curly brown hair, with little or no success.  ::)

Episode #73 - This was the first time they used the opening shot of Collinwood by day, framed with moving leaves.  I must admit, I think it looks MUCH BETTER in color......The sheriff had been waiting for Sam to be "just passing by" all day!!  :D.....I loved seeing the excitement on David's face when Sam spoke about being an artist.  :) Too bad David's mood changed as soon as Roger's name was mentioned! :(

Episode #74 - It was funny to hear Mitch Ryan's comments at the beginning of the tape, just before the production slate!!  He spoke about going to take a "leak"! :D   I wonder if this originally aired? ??? .....David said that Burke told him that nothing was against the law unless you got caught!! :D Lots of people try that, don't they? ???  Too bad that isn't true! ;)

Episode #75 - That was ironic when Roger joked about Matthew pushing someone over the cliff!!  Even though I haven't seen it yet, I know that  [spoiler]Matthew killed Bill Malloy!![/spoiler].....Carolyn and Vicki sure do act like sisters, don't they?  Bickering one minute and joking the next minute.  They have a great rapport with each other. :)

Episode #76 - Roger sure was anxious to try to convince Liz to sell Collinwood to Burke. ::) I'm glad that Liz didn't take the bait.  Liz is a VERY STRONG woman - and she enjoys takng charge. ;)

Well, that's it for now!! :D Please read my next post.

----- Sally ----- 
8)
----- Sally -----
[snow_bigglass] [hippy2]

Offline EmeraldRose

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
An Announcement to All About My Future Posts...
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2004, 10:21:49 AM »
I just thought I would let you all know that I will NO LONGER be writing SPECIFICALLY about EACH AND EVERY episode I watch on tape.  (Unless I see something specifically on a particular episode, that is.) :)  I have found that when I was writing about EACH episode, it was "taking some of the fun out of" watching the show, because I had to take notes.  It also was time consuming to write these posts.  (It took me an hour to write the last post!) ::) Also, I haven't noticed anybody else posting in that way, except maybe for Robin with her Robservations. 

Thank you for listening.

----- Sally -----
8)
----- Sally -----
[snow_bigglass] [hippy2]

Offline Miss_Winthrop

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
Re: Episodes 71-76 (Last time I use this format - See Reply #1)
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2004, 12:16:05 AM »
Awwww, I rather enjoy your writings about the episodes! I have an idea for you.  It's always refreshing to hear someone who has seen the eps for the first time talk about their feelings IMO.  So, why don't you just record what you're seeing and feeling and then transcribe it later on to paper?

One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.
~Virginia Woolf

Offline Devlin66

• Full Poster
  • Devlin For President in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Burke Devlins Yahoo 360
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2004, 12:24:52 AM »
Yes indeed i do enjoy looking at other peoples observations.......after hearing Roger give Vick Winters the lowdown on the invite to breakfast before her cannery tour made me hungry.......i think i will start a thread on the culinary delights at the Collinsport Diner.......too bad we never see the cook.......and besides Maggie and Suzy....i saw another lovely waiting tables the other day when Burke was having his fill........i am sure he tips better than Mrs. Johnson :P
" When I gave Davey Collins the crystal ball I hoped he would see that I was his real father, and not that abusive Roger Collins!

Only Laura knows the truth regarding Davids paternity, and i am sure she remembers the back seat of that car Roger crashed.

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2004, 12:56:14 AM »
emeraldrose...i really enjoyed your comments on these eps.please keep us posted on your thoughts.remind me,did you ever see the show before at all?or is this your first ever viewing?a lot of fans who watched the show on vhs only saw the later barnabas eps. and then saw the early ones when mpi released them later.
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline tripwire

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2004, 03:52:12 AM »
I enjoy reading your comments too...I have not seen the pre-Barnabas episodes, and i am sure they are chocked full of Bloopers....Please keep a separate log for goof ups  lol    ;)
its a sudden death that i know, my father wrote me to say that, my cousin, uncle jeremiah was, was very disturbed.

Offline ProfStokes

• * Ingenious Intellect *
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2004, 06:40:41 AM »
Sally, I have an idea. 

Since we know that the Sci-Fi boards are back, we can access the Robservations of these episodes again.  Perhaps you could watch your tapes without taking notes, and then skim through the Robservations to refresh your memory on what was interesting, special, or important.  Robin's summaries are so detailed, it's even better than taking notes.

The summaries for the episodes that you're watching now should be on page 3 of this board: http://bboard.scifi.com/bboard/browse.php/1/1/1608 ("Robservations 7/13/01 No More Pretense/conclusion" is for Eps #75 and #76)

and page 1 of this board: http://bboard.scifi.com/bboard/browse.php/1/1/1636 ("Robservations 7/17/01 Burke Plays" is for Ep #79)

Just a suggestion on my part, but since your episode-specific posts are so popular, it seems a shame to discontinue them.  Any way you decide to post is great though.  I'm glad you joined this board. ;D

ProfStokes

Offline EmeraldRose

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2004, 08:50:40 AM »
You Like Me!!
Gee, I didn't know I was so popular!! 8)

Well, OK - I will still write about the episodes I see.  ::)

That's a great idea, ProfStokes, about Robservations. :D Actually, I'm ahead of you.  I bought Robin's Robservations CD earlier this year, so I can read them whenever I want to!!

mscbryk (and everybody else) - I am watching these episodes for the first time.  I started watching DS in 1967, just before Barnabas' arrival.  I didn't find DS on Sci-Fi until August, 2002 - so I didn't have the opportunity to watch the pre-Barnabas episodes on Sci-Fi, either.   I bought the first 20 VCR tapes in the collector's series earlier this year, and have been watching them in order.  I just watched Episodes 77 & 78, and I WILL be posting about them later. ;)

Actually, I DO enjoy writing my thoughts.  I just needed to find a less time-consuming and more fun way to do it. ;)

----- Sally -----  8) 
----- Sally -----
[snow_bigglass] [hippy2]

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2004, 04:43:28 PM »
These are all great shows, but my top favorite scenes are the ones with Mrs Johnson in the diner.  Clarice projected such realism in that part.  I'm older than Mrs J was supposed to be at this point, and she looked and talked like such an "old lady"!  It's really too bad that that character was watered down so much in the later years.  I always love it when I play the episode when Cassandra is asking her about her dreams and she snaps:  "I'm too BUSY for dreams!"

Great coments, Emerald Rose! (btw, do you own or have you ever heard any of the songs by that band, Emerald Rose?  They're really fabulous if you like good Celtic music, with a hearty Pagan edge.)

Best,  Steve

Offline EmeraldRose

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2004, 06:27:14 PM »
Great coments, Emerald Rose! (btw, do you own or have you ever heard any of the songs by that band, Emerald Rose?  They're really fabulous if you like good Celtic music, with a hearty Pagan edge.)

Thanks, Steve!! :D  No, I do not own and I have never heard any of the songs by Emerald Rose. ::)  It was just a coincidence that the handle that I picked is the same as that band's name. 8)  I discovered it when I did an internet search for my handle, and was pleasantly surprised. :D

Actually, I even got an E-Mail by someone who saw the band Emerald Rose perform - she thought it was me!! :P  I replied back, informing her of her mistake, and never heard from her again.  ;)

----- Sally -----
8)
----- Sally -----
[snow_bigglass] [hippy2]

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2004, 07:53:36 PM »
I don't know whether your computer allows you to listen to music on the Web, but on this website there used to be a couple of songs from Emerald Rose available for free download:

http://www.witchvox.com

Look around the busy and crowded front page for the link to the music section.  If I find a better link at some point, I'll send it to you in a message.

I love their song "Freya Shakti"--it makes a wonderful alternative to the standard Goddess chant most Pagans use at open rituals. Unfortunately not enough people really know it well enough to use it, but people always appreciate it whenever I sing it.

G.

Offline EmeraldRose

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2004, 03:46:47 AM »
I love their song "Freya Shakti"--it makes a wonderful alternative to the standard Goddess chant most Pagans use at open rituals. Unfortunately not enough people really know it well enough to use it, but people always appreciate it whenever I sing it.

I found their website - it's  http://www.emeraldrose.com/mainpage.htm  There is a link there to download their music. :D I'm listening to it now.  Great music!! 8) Yes, "Freya Shakti" is a GREAT song -  but the others I have heard are wonderful songs, too. :) 

Thanks for turning me onto Emerald Rose, Gothick! 8)

---- Sally ---- 8)
----- Sally -----
[snow_bigglass] [hippy2]

Offline Devlin66

• Full Poster
  • Devlin For President in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Burke Devlins Yahoo 360
Episode 75
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2004, 09:00:47 PM »
I just finished this one and several real eye openers.....

1/  Roger in the intro is giddy and says something like its the best day in his life.....and he has spittle coming out of his mouth...( i had to rewind it to believe it.....he must of been really feeling the part)

2/  Vikki is seen in taped outdoor footage with a different coat.....she is seen with Roger moments before with a white coat and her hair is down.......and then you see her in the outdoor shots on the beach with a dark coat and her hair in pig tails.......how funny...........at least in the earlier episode Mitch Ryan knows the outdoor shot has him  without his coat and he makes a point before the cameras roll that he knows that.....and maps out a plan of entry to the director before the scene is shot.....ha ha ha...

3/  Roger throwing the rocks over widows hill.....so funny......he throws like a girl.......

4/  Back to number 3...also vik was wearing a scarf when she first saw roger at widows hill.......then the scarf disappears as well.......

5/  i love how the episode ends with that fear roger shows as we hear burke pounding his fist on the front door of collinwood................. :-[
" When I gave Davey Collins the crystal ball I hoped he would see that I was his real father, and not that abusive Roger Collins!

Only Laura knows the truth regarding Davids paternity, and i am sure she remembers the back seat of that car Roger crashed.

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2004, 02:13:50 AM »
i loved the outdoor footage.i always thought it was so funny that the actors would be wearing different cloths in them than in the interior shots around them.i thought the exterior shots were used only in the very early eps.,so i was surprised to see exterior shots of carolyn and david after the barnabas intro.but they seem to totally disappear once the show switches to color :'(.
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline katrinavantassel

• Junior Poster
  • Home sweet home
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2009, 02:58:24 PM »
I just watched ep. 71 last night and had a question about the outdoor scene with Roger and Vicky. Does anyone know where that was filmed? I'd like to say downtown Newport but I haven't been there in years though it does look vaguely familiar.

I like the outdoor filming, too bad it was costly and therefore limited in the series.