Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0156  (Read 1043 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0156
« on: February 28, 2012, 01:38:21 AM »

Offline Janet the Wicked

• Senior Poster
  • These pretzels are making me thirsty!
    • View Profile
Re: Discuss - Ep #0156
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2012, 01:43:56 AM »
Can’t say I’m surprised at Carolyn’s wailing for Burke. She’s had a really crappy couple of days. She blew it with Joe, and Burke dumped her. Now the latest crisis du jour has her all alone in the world!
I get a kick out of these guys who think they're so clean, when all the time they're trying to cover up their dirt.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2012, 02:38:17 AM »
Liz has experienced "lost time".  It could be UFOs.  ***  At the Blue Whale, for Carolyn/Joe's bitter scene, the jukebox starts by playing a horn version of "Yesterday".  Appropriate.   By the time they're done talking, though, it's morphed into "Michelle".   Good, realistic conversation.

Amazing moment at end, where just as Liz is remembering, a cloaked figure appears to her in the window, then disappears, then Liz collapses and goes mentally into another world, going on about a bird and fire.   I've always thought of Joan Bennett as fairly uninvested in DS before seeing these first two storylines, but she was totally and completely there with all her might, here.   She's very good throughout this part of the story, when we get to see her.  I wonder if the crew applauded after this take.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2012, 04:29:25 PM »
Carolyn and Joe's talk at the BW is very well done. The barkeep even gets a couple of lines as he tells Carolyn the phone call is for her.Too bad Joe leaves before Carolyn finds out that it's Roger calling about her mother.

I believe the cloaked figure was Susan Sullivan, who much later played David Selby's main squeeze in Falcon Crest.

This is our first look at Elizabeth's bedroom, and it is luxuriously appointed as befits the Mistress of Collinwood, but all in good taste, without ostentation or display. Great work by Joan Bennett in every scene!

Offline Janet the Wicked

• Senior Poster
  • These pretzels are making me thirsty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2012, 08:52:05 PM »
I just came across this collection on DVD. It was right where all the rest of my DS DVDs are. And here I thought I didn't have it. Tough to get old and braindead, folks.
I get a kick out of these guys who think they're so clean, when all the time they're trying to cover up their dirt.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2012, 01:18:24 AM »
I just came across this collection on DVD. It was right where all the rest of my DS DVDs are. And here I thought I didn't have it.

Excellent!
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2012, 04:56:28 PM »
Congratulations, Janet!

I've always thought of Joan Bennett as fairly uninvested in DS before seeing these first two storylines, but she was totally and completely there with all her might, here.
Uninvested?  Hmm...You remind me of something MB said five years ago:
Any actor dedicated to his/her craft is going to give his/her all to every part, regardless of its size or duration
And if you wish to see which actor was under consideration when that statement was made, you can click on the link.

"Something's happened to my sister," says Roger.  And I wonder about that use of "my sister" in time of stress.  Is it an expression of love?  Then Carolyn finds out something has happened to her mother.  Suddenly everybody's facing the possibility that their lives may be drastically changed.  Except, of course, they aren't facing it.  Elizabeth says, "Something terrible is going to happen to me!" whereupon Carolyn says, "Nothing's going to happen to you."  Later Carolyn tells Vicky, "I can't lose her!" whereupon Vicky says, "You won't lose her."  I suppose Carolyn was trying to comfort her mother, and Vicky was trying to comfort Carolyn - but is it really comforting when somebody dismisses your fears, if those fears are quite reasonable?

When Elizabeth asked why she wasn't in her room, I remembered that she said back in the first week of the series that she had had Vicky's room as a girl, until she got married.  If I were Carolyn or Roger, I would consider moving her into that room.  Knowing that Laura is the cause of Elizabeth's ailment, I don't think it would help - but Carolyn and Roger don't know that.

"I was walking up the stairs...I was walking up the stairs...I was walking the stairs..." I like how Elizabeth got stuck on that.

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2012, 07:34:14 PM »
The repeat of the first scene was a new filming as the table had reappeared. I always liked when this happened and comparing the differences in the acting.  Carolyn still wants Burke. I think Laura would win that even if she were not a supernatural being.
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times