Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0155  (Read 1210 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0155
« on: February 27, 2012, 01:09:12 AM »

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
Re: Discuss - Ep #0155
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2012, 02:02:19 AM »
What's the object on the right, immediately after you enter the front door of Collinwood?  Just wondered when making notes for this episode.   Also, there's a sort of wooden hatch above and to the right of Laura's fireplace.  Is that something through which wood would be delivered from outside?

Mrs. J did a good job of disillusioning Burke about Laura, except that it didn't really take.

Laura smites Liz.

No end credits or "DC Productions" or anything, at end.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2012, 02:02:38 AM »
Mrs J runs to Burke to say Laura is playing him and he becomes unglued and accuses her of being the liar. Burke runs to Laura to make sure and he melts when he sees her. Soon his passion burns to a fever.  Liz goes out to the cottage and catches the lovers in a hot kiss. 
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2012, 06:35:34 PM »
To help convince David to go away with her, Laura gives him not an electric train set or a baseballl mitt--but a music box? Seriously....

Elizabeth is in her first coma.

Offline Janet the Wicked

• Senior Poster
  • These pretzels are making me thirsty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2012, 08:49:00 PM »
To help convince David to go away with her, Laura gives him not an electric train set or a baseballl mitt--but a music box? Seriously....

The kid begged her for it, didn't he?
I get a kick out of these guys who think they're so clean, when all the time they're trying to cover up their dirt.

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2012, 09:10:52 PM »
Yes, he did. That's even weirder.

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2012, 01:53:21 AM »
I'm guessing Elizabeth might need to look elsewhere for someone to carry on the Collins family.
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2012, 05:31:11 PM »
Gee, a boy isn't allowed to like a music box without having his sexuality questioned?  [snow_wink]

But be that as it may, deep down David is desperate to have a relationship with a mother who hasn't been a part of his life for a long time. The music box belongs to his mother, so David sees the music box as a part of her, and having it would be like having a part of her - and a part of her that would still be with him when she isn't physically with him. Wanting it is perfectly understandable within the storyline. And it's no wonder David has such a violent reaction to Liz when she tells him she doesn't want him to spend time with his mother.

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2012, 05:47:17 PM »
Gee, a boy isn't allowed to like a music box without having his sexuality questioned?  [snow_wink]

I know, I know. But I was thinking in the context of 1967, when there were girls' toys and boys' toys--and never the twain did meet. And I know too that technically the music box wasn't a toy per se but something that belonged to Laura, and that's why David was so eager to have it.

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 29, 2012, 06:14:08 PM »
Liz faints so elegantly.  The last time I fainted, I broke a chair.  I did notice today, however, that Collinwood's mid-foyer table had been removed for the occasion, so perhaps, after all, there were some concerns beforehand.

Burke apologizes to Mrs. Johnson for losing his temper, and says it won't happen again.  It's happened before, so Mrs. Johnson should know by know that it's bound to happen again, but Burke is paying her.  What does she do with the money?  She doesn't appear to need it; she always manages to land a job with room and board.  Anyway, it was pleasant to see her telling Burke off.  And I wish to apologize to the spirit of Clarice Blackburn, and beg her forgiveness.  I suggested yesterday that she had laid it on a bit thick.  How wrong I was!  It wasn't Clarice Blackburn who was laying it on thick; it was Mrs. Johnson.  That became clear to me today.

To help convince David to go away with her, Laura gives him not an electric train set or a baseballl mitt--but a music box?
It's a music box!  On Dark Shadows!  How could he not want it?

What's the object on the right, immediately after you enter the front door of Collinwood?
It seems to me that there was a topic about that, years and years ago.  I can't think of a good word to use in a search for that topic, however.  I think it appears in all time periods, so it can't be an electric warmer to give you a blast of hot air when you come in from the freezing Maine winter air.  Maybe it's got a slot in the top so you can drop your business card in for a weekly drawing to win a night locked up in the west wing.

I was thinking, as Elizabeth scolded David for seeing his mother, that she no longer had any reason to keep Laura from seeing David, because David now likes Laura.  I've no doubt that this is due to some spell that Laura cast over him, but Elizabeth doesn't know that, any more than she knows that the picture of Laura, and David's resulting nightmares, came from Josette.  But we do know that before Laura and Josette started David's head spinning first one way and then the other (hmm...I've never seen The Exorcist, but doesn't something like that happen in that movie?), David had declared that Laura wasn't his mother.  What a long time ago that was!  So Elizabeth is right to want to keep Laura and David apart - but the reason is hidden like a pea beneath a few layers of spells.

I thought Laura was just going to let Burke leave, rather than conciliating him.  After all, she doesn't need him to help her get David anymore.  But I suppose it makes sense for her not to assume she won't need his help in the future.

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 29, 2012, 08:04:15 PM »

I looked at it in a 1967 way also and remembering how I secretly ordered Josette's music box and kept it hidden on the top shelf of the bookcase where my Roger would be too lazy to look and the little kids couldn't get at it.