Author Topic: Wondering about Size,Color,Shadow,etc  (Read 1538 times)

Offline Cassandra

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
Wondering about Size,Color,Shadow,etc
« on: February 28, 2003, 11:42:55 AM »
I've just noticed that on certain older posts of mine that the "size" "color" and "shadow" are all messed up and was wondering if this was because of the new Forum board?  For example on the thread with Annie's birthday wishes, "Look who's celebrating a birthday"  I had added a "size 6"  "Happy birthday Annie"  yet when I looked at it now, it definetely doesn't look like a size 6.  Also, some of the coloring is gone too. I had added "hot pink" along with "shadow=turquoise,2,3000" and only the turquoise shows up now.   None of the "move stuff" came out either.

I've been noticing lately that if I try to hit on "size" along with a certain "color" and "shadow",  the lettering comes out super small.  So I'm just wondering if there's a certain new code now that we all have to use for these type of things?  I know some of the emoticons have changed but I didn't realize that the other things have changed also.
"Calamity Jane"

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re:Wondering about Size,Color,Shadow,etc
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2003, 12:43:03 AM »
I've just noticed that on certain older posts of mine that the "size" "color" and "shadow" are all messed up and was wondering if this was because of the new Forum board?  For example on the thread with Annie's birthday wishes, "Look who's celebrating a birthday"  I had added a "size 6"  "Happy birthday Annie"  yet when I looked at it now, it definetely doesn't look like a size 6.

Glow, shadow, and size are showing up in that topic again.  I broke up the tags (grouped them onto more lines than they were originally).  The first line was heavily coded for glow, shadow, font, center, color and size but now the text is more isolated and all codes are working in both IE and Netscape.  When we used SP the codes did stop showing up if they were crowded onto too few lines, and apparently SE is even more sensitive.

Also, some of the coloring is gone too. I had added "hot pink" along with "shadow=turquoise,2,3000" and only the turquoise shows up now.

All the colors that MB added to the standard colors aren't available right now.  I noticed that turquoise and a few others sometimes show up as a default color, but I don't know why. :-

None of the "move stuff" came out either.

Move still works in other posts in that thread.  The 2nd line in that post also was heavily surrounded by tags, with codes for move, glow, color, size, font, bold, and 3 emoticons, so grouping them onto separate lines and isolating the text (even from the emoticons) got them all to work in Netscape, but move still didn't work in IE so I had to get rid of the glow-- plus its end tag-- to make it work there, sorry.

I've been noticing lately that if I try to hit on "size" along with a certain "color" and "shadow",  the lettering comes out super small.  So I'm just wondering if there's a certain new code now that we all have to use for these type of things?  I know some of the emoticons have changed but I didn't realize that the other things have changed also.

The standard YaBB codes that display above your posts and in Help haven't changed; only the additional codes added after the forum was launched have changed (i.e. the 2nd and 3rd pages of smilies, and the updated codes for ??? and 8)).

Try putting the color and shadow tags onto separate lines from size and text, particuarly when using with the larger sizes and longer lines of text.  It should do the trick. :)

Offline Cassandra

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2003, 10:10:51 AM »
Thanks Midnite.  I really wasn't overly concerned about the older post and I didn't want to add any more work for you to do (fixing it up) but I just wanted to use that particular post as an example so you would know what I was talking about because the whole thing was becoming so confusing to me that I didn't know how to explain it.

Midnite Wrote:
Try putting the color and shadow tags onto separate lines from size and text, particuarly when using with the larger sizes and longer lines of text.  It should do the trick.

Thanks!  This helped alot and I realize now what you did. :)

"Calamity Jane"

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2003, 05:29:22 PM »
Thanks Midnite.  I really wasn't overly concerned about the older post and I didn't want to add any more work for you to do (fixing it up) but I just wanted to use that particular post as an example so you would know what I was talking about because the whole thing was becoming so confusing to me that I didn't know how to explain it.

It's okay, and you're welcome.  I couldn't explain why it was happening til I made sure I could get it to work, hee hee.  Anyway, I learned from the experience too. :)

Offline RingoCollins

• Senior Poster
  • I think it was the trousers
    • View Profile
    • Fans On The Run
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2003, 04:29:29 AM »
I had added a "size 6"  "Happy birthday Annie"  yet when I looked at it now, it definetely doesn't look like a size 6.

... again I am reminded of my honeymoon :-
We sing, we dance.....and we don't need pants!

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2003, 07:15:32 AM »
I couldn't explain why it was happening til I made sure I could get it to work, hee hee.  Anyway, I learned from the experience too. :)

I *think* some of the oddness may be caused by the fact that the forum is no longer using straight HTML (HyperText Markup Language) to generate Web pages. YaBBSE uses what's known as XHTML (eXtensible HyperText Markup Language, which combines the strength of HTML 4 with the power of XML (eXtensible Markup Language)). That probably sounds like Greek to some, but trust me, HTML and XHTML are different animals in several ways. XHTML is actually more powerful. And plans are for XHTML to completely replace HTML in a few years. So I suppose one might say the forum is now on the cutting edge of what's supposedly to come somewhere down the road. ;)

Also, our YaBBC tags need to always be nested now, which is a fancy way to say that you nedd to tyype them in the exact reverse oprder of the way you first typed them, like this:

Code: [Select]
[shadow=red,left][b][i] Text [/i][/b]/shadow]

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2003, 08:20:36 AM »

Snort.

Offline Cassandra

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2003, 09:09:09 AM »

LOL!! Ringo, you are too much!
(but just remember, it's not the size that counts..) ;)

MB Wrote:
That probably sounds like Greek to some, but trust me, HTML and XHTML are different animals in several ways.

MB, That's me!!  :-

I had no idea there was such a big difference between the two but from the way you explained it Im starting to understand alot now about the changes that have been taking place within the new board.
Thanks for explaining it. :)
"Calamity Jane"