Author Topic: (***DEFINITELY CHECK THIS OUT NOW**) Austin Live Theatre: Fan-Produced DS webseries beginning in January  (Read 9317 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Perhaps if Dan Curtis Productions doesn't stamp out everything like this, then when something comes along that is truly objectionable (for whatever reason) then they will have lost their legal standing to complain.

Interesting point because, if they overlooked some and not others, it could possibly undercut their stance when they wanted to stamp out those others. The people involved in them would certainly be asking why did you allow those others to exist but not us.

One thing, though, that probably should be mentioned again is that for all intents and purposes, DCP doesn't exist. Nowadays it's simply the family/estate, Jim Pierson, and maybe a phone number - but I don't even see a phone number included in any of the listings for the production companies involved in the Depp/DS film (whereas there are phone numbers for GK Films, Infinitum Nihil, Tim Burton Productions, and Warner Bros. Pictures)  - and perhaps that's due to the fact that DCP was dissolved after DC's passing. And if you note, the notice posted by the Austin group says representatives of the estate asked them to end the series.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Perhaps if Dan Curtis Productions doesn't stamp out everything like this, then when something comes along that is truly objectionable (for whatever reason) then they will have lost their legal standing to complain.  Sort of like those public paths through estates in England that people take care to travel once a year to keep them public.

It's understandable to want to be consistent to prevent confusion or finger pointing, but copyright rights don't work this way.  The owner of a copyrighted work can be as consistent as she or he chooses to be.

What happened to Austin Live Theater is very unfortunate because their work was obviously borne out of pleasure and love.  But their productions could be viewed as competition for the Big Finish Productions, and that juggernaut Warner Bros. should probably also be considered.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
their productions could be viewed as competition for the Big Finish Productions, and that juggernaut Warner Bros. should probably also be considered.

Yes, and there's certainly that...

David

At the Web Series' Facebook page, there's chat about a petition to DCP to allow it to continue.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Sadly, I wouldn't think that will make much headway - particularly if, as Midnite suspects, the estate believes the series was competition to something like the Big Finish audio dramas, and especially if Warner Bros. was involved in any way with the squashing. But I do wish them luck because obviously I was enjoying the series...

David

DS Fan Tim Goss just posted an open letter to Jim Pierson.
We'll see......

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
  • Only my freckles hold me together.
    • View Profile
True, a petition won't make any difference.  The argument could also be made that fans are getting their DS fix through current offerings  - the audio dramas, for instance. 

Through the years (decades, actually) fans have published zines and photos from the series without any issues from DCP (as it existed then) and DCP would have been within its rights to shut down those zines but they looked the other way.  The only time I've known the company to pull anything generally relates to DS videos and other licensed products. 

Lydia - I'm sure you aren't "mole"-material, lol.  There does exist a naivete among fans that what they post here and on other message boards isn't seen by MPI, and others with a vested interest in DS products and distribution.  Doesn't it make sense such entities would read message boards having to do with their market?

Offline Cousin_Barnabas

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
It was a good watch.  Too bad we didn't get to see what happened.  I don't agree with the decision to have it removed, as it certainly wasn't anywhere near competing with the current products, and probably would have worked in favor of the Warner project, considering that, if it achieved a following on Youtube, said "new" viewers would most likely add to the box office figures.  I thought the cast was getting there, and Liz was always rather good.  But, if nothing else, this short-lived web series proved two things: 1.  No voice will ever be able to replace Joan Bennett's strong one, even if the delivery of lines is good.  2.  Jason McGuire should have an Irish Brogue - always.  There are no exceptions to this rule. 

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
There does exist a naivete among fans that what they post here and on other message boards isn't seen by MPI, and others with a vested interest in DS products and distribution.  Doesn't it make sense such entities would read message boards having to do with their market?

Just by way of a reminder, two of the forum's members are directly connected to MPI and through the years they have commented directly here on the forum about MPI's products and complaints against MPI. And more than once when certain situations have come up we've also mentioned that we're aware that the forum is read by more than simply those associated with MPI. We realize that can sometimes come across as us exaggerating who reads the forum, but quite honestly we're not...

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
  • Only my freckles hold me together.
    • View Profile
Once, a long time ago, I was told by someone in marketing in some fandom that one key reason certain copyright infringements are nipped in the bud is to prevent the proliferation of the activity.  One person or group infringing doesn't seem like anything to get excited about but others who see the activity, and that it's allowed, get the idea to try their own project(s) and more ambitious see that and get their own ideas - soon a whole lot of people are engaged in the infringing activity and it's a much bigger deal than the one or two individuals or groups engaging in the infringement.

Offline tragic bat

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
How disapointing; I just saw this thread but apparently even the episodes already produced are dead.  Many estates (for instance the Tolkein estate) allow non-profit fan films and don't see this as a threat to multi-million dollar official projects.  Corporations are given disproportionate "rights" in our society, I think, and many of them are simply not hip to how internet projects like this can bring attention to their products.
“You could have devoted your life to a serious study of the occult instead of just being some freak who can tell the future!”--RT 1970 Roxanne.

Offline The Doctor and K9

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
CBS not only looks the other way with regard to Star Trek fan films, in one case they actually gave great latitude by approving a plan for the producers to recoup some of their money.  Star Trek-Of Gods and Men was allowed to be distributed on the web. The creators were also permitted to give away DVDs to anyone who bought autographed items and other memorabilia at inflated prices. For example, I might expect to pay $25 for Walter Koenig's autograph. They charged something like $45 and made $20 profit minus the cost of the DVD on the deal to repay themselves. You can check their web site for what they have to offer. If you are a Trek fan and enjoy the film, it's a pretty good deal. You even get to watch the movie before you buy. After all of this, the 11th Trek film managed to "live long and prosper" in the theaters and do very well on DVD. I doubt the Curtis estate would've suffered much harm from the DS web series.

Offline borgosi

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • My Space
What rubs me the wrong way is the fact that the script for the new movie was written by a man that got his start by taking a something that was public domain and changing it to fit his needs. It could be said that if Seth Grahme-Smith hadn't written "Pride and Prejudice and Zombies" that someone else would have written the script that Burton and Depp like so much. That being the case it makes them look just a little two faced to complain that someone is now doing something based on DS. I want the new movie to be a hit and to bring new fans to DS but this leaves a bad taste in my mouth. I have lost alot of my respect for these two. Kinda of makes it feel that this is all about the money and nothing else. It makes it look like they're more about cashing in than being DS fans.
May you die before you want too.

Offline borgosi

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • My Space
I guess we can expect DCP or who ever to file charges against SNL or any other comedy group that does a skit poking fun at the movie whenever it comes out. Right?

One thing I know to be a fact, you kick a dog everyday and in time it's going to bite back. Fans, even lifelong fans can do the samething if Depp, Burton, DCP, or whoever did this keep it up. Oh, when I movie fan bites back, they stay home.

Offline borgosi

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • My Space
I was just contacted by DCP and was asked to change my dog's name. They said that if I keep calling him Barnabas they will file a law suite against me......This is a parody and is not to be taken seriously. [snow_smiley]