Author Topic: Sunday Festival Pictures  (Read 4778 times)

Offline jennifer

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
Re: Sunday Festival Pictures
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2006, 03:30:08 PM »
of all the DS actors who attended this years fest...after looking at the great pix taken---my vote for the best taken care of body-face in all the years that have passed is a tie between KLS and Marie Wallace.....they certainly look well for wear...with LP a close second........my vote for one who has really let them self go and looks like they have been worn out over the years.....JK...

he has had health problems hasn't he?who is next to David Selby? great pics

jennifer
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
  • The grooviest HEP cat in Collinsport!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2006, 04:17:44 PM »
of all the DS actors who attended this years fest...after looking at the great pix taken---my vote for the best taken care of body-face in all the years that have passed is a tie between KLS and Marie Wallace.....they certainly look well for wear...with LP a close second........my vote for one who has really let them self go and looks like they have been worn out over the years.....JK...

he has had health problems hasn't he?

He has, he's a diabetic and had a serious health scare a couple years back that actually put him in the hospital for awhile.  This is probably why he ditched 70 lbs before last year's Fest.  Plus the man just turned 73 in May!  Hey, I think the old man looks GOOD for being a 73 year old diabetic, LOL! He was my 'next-door' neighbor at the Fest, AND the rooms were adjoining (though I didn't take advantage of that!).   ;D

who is next to David Selby? great pics

David is sandwiched by Jerry Lacy and Donna Wandrey.
Buzz-isms:

"I like the bike I got, & the chick I got!"
"I know just the place!?Over in Logansport!"
"If ya feel it, SIT it!"
"Come on, before he offers me a side car too!"
"Her nose needed some powder!"
"You askin' me to give up something I like?"

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2006, 05:35:05 PM »
In '04 at Tarrytown, John Karlen seemed, to me,  much more relaxed and happy to be there than he did this year in Brooklyn.  I got the impression he was "going thru the motions" this time around.  I know his sense of humor can be acerbic....but it isn't usually grumpy.
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline Maybellique

• Full Poster
  • To HELL with canon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2006, 07:37:33 PM »
He has, he's a diabetic and had a serious health scare a couple years back that actually put him in the hospital for awhile.  This is probably why he ditched 70 lbs before last year's Fest.  Plus the man just turned 73 in May!  Hey, I think the old man looks GOOD for being a 73 year old diabetic, LOL! He was my 'next-door' neighbor at the Fest, AND the rooms were adjoining (though I didn't take advantage of that!).   Grin"

Why the hell not? :P

I know his sense of humor can be acerbic....but it isn't usually grumpy.

He was grumpy, you say? Maybe he wasn't feeling well. :( I have a lot of family members with diabetes. My Uncle John is just a few years younger than John Karlen and he hasn't been feeling too well, himself. It's awful what diabetes can do to one, so if he appears to have "let himself go", I think the disease may be the culprit.

Also, believe me when I say that his photos do him no justice. John Karlen is a vibrant and delightful man to be around. He has a beautifully infectuous aura about him that just makes you want to smile from ear to ear. God bless him. ;) ~DJ

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2006, 07:48:11 PM »
In '04 at Tarrytown, John Karlen seemed, to me,  much more relaxed and happy to be there than he did this year in Brooklyn.  I got the impression he was "going thru the motions" this time around.  I know his sense of humor can be acerbic....but it isn't usually grumpy.

Hmmm, not to sound catty, because to say that I simply ADORE Johnny would be a gross understatement, but he was actually kind of an ass in Tarrytown.  That's the year he fell off the stage and then yelled at the Fest ppl about it, going so far as to actually ACUSE Richard Halprin and Dave LeBlance of deliberately putting the chair at the edge of the stage just so he'd fall on his ass.  Then he very nastily yelled at that blind guy David Block.  Now, but to yell at someone w/a handicapp, for ANY reason, is uncalled for in my book.  Then he dissed Marie Wallace when she was onstage by rudely pounding on the piano to interrupt her panel, this happened before he fell off the stage.  Granted the Fest was behind, AS USUAL, but he's been to enough of these things to know they NEVER run on time.  It's become a joke amongst fan actually--"Okay, how far behind are they now?!"  ;)  Then he dissed her AGAIN when she went to hug him after he fell off the stage in an effort to comfort him.

Now, having said all this, John WAS having a rough year at that time--his beloved sister had just passed I *believe* mere weeks before the Fest, so he was still grieving.  The fact that he even showed up is a testament to his committment to the fans.  Same goes for David Selby this year.  He literally buried his father the weekend before.

Kind of a strange post I know, one minute I'm bitching Johnny, next I'm singing his praises!  LOL!   ^-^
Buzz-isms:

"If ya feel it, SIT it!"

Offline Maybellique

• Full Poster
  • To HELL with canon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2006, 08:08:21 PM »
Poor John (though I don't think I'll ever gain the courage to call him anything but "Mr. Karlen" to his face. don't think he likes that. :P). I can imagine his embarrassment. It's always 10x worse to the person it happens to and in the moment, sometimes a person doesn't stop and think that not everyone is going to be thinking "Ha-ha!" No, I'd have been really concerned. He's stuck around for this long! We can't lose him now. ;)

Then he dissed her AGAIN when she went to hug him after he fell off the stage in an effort to comfort him.

The last thing I'd want to do is make excuses for him. Oops! Too late. (see my last post) Okay, so if I like a person, I'll defend them into the ground. What can I say? ;) It's not ass-kissing per se. Might it be love, then? Ha-ha-ha. I sincerely doubt it.

Okay, this'll be far from an excuse. In fact, it's the very opposite. Marie Wallace is so sweet and seems to be so even-tempered (for a redhead), I can't imagine anyone throwing verbal knives at her. :( Not even John Karlen. I'm sure she understood, though. He must have been embarrassed as hell! But the least he could have done was thank her... ~DJ

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2006, 08:27:59 PM »
Poor John (though I don't think I'll ever gain the courage to call him anything but "Mr. Karlen" to his face.

You know, it's funny, I'll refer to him here as Johnny, but NEVER call him Johnny to his face.  I *do* call him John though, and he seems fine w/that.  ;)  Most of the stars seem okay w/you calling them by their first names.  Never called Jonathan anything by Mr. Frid however.  Last time I saw him in person was at his one man show at Hofstra University and we called him Mr. Frid there.  But he'd probably even be okay w/being called Jonathan to his face.  ;)

He must have been embarrassed as hell! But the least he could have done was thank her... ~DJ

There's no doubt he was embarressed, probably also scared the s*#% out of him when he fell backwards like that, scared US, and we were right there at a table next to the stage sitting w/Richard Halerin, Fest MC.  But yeah, he didn't have to do that to Marie.  But, having said that, I *do* believe they kissed and made up because he was quite chummy w/her later on that day.  ;)  Sweet as he truly is, he probably apoligized PROFUSELY to her later on.
Buzz-isms:

"If ya feel it, SIT it!"

Offline Teresa

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2006, 08:30:29 PM »
I thinik he is the sweetest man alive and sometimes just likes being boisterous (spell?). In Anaheim 04, he sat with me at my breakfast table ( he invited himself) and I fell madly in love with the man. He was sweet, called me darlin and talked about Brooklyn while I felt awkward eating my Marriott granola which I think is the same at every Marriott. That breakfast is one of my best fest memories ever. Or maybe it was the time Roger Davis showed me his bridgework (seriously) I work in a dental office and he wanted to know what I thought.
" Some day we'll look back on this and it will all seem funny"

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2006, 08:43:34 PM »
I thinik he is the sweetest man alive and sometimes just likes being boisterous (spell?). In Anaheim 04, he sat with me at my breakfast table ( he invited himself) and I fell madly in love with the man. He was sweet, called me darlin and talked about Brooklyn

He's big on calling women sweetheart, honey and darling!  ;)  I just love the man too. ;)

while I felt awkward eating my Marriott granola

I know how you feel!  When I was fortunate enough to spend non Fest time w/Louie Edmonds, curtesy of Craig Hamrick, my friend and I were supposed to meet Louie and Craig at The Slaughtered Lamb in the Village and she and I decided to get there early so we could eat BEFORE Louie arrived.  We didn't want to have ketchup on our chins in front of the man, LOL!  ;)
Buzz-isms:

"If ya feel it, SIT it!"

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2006, 09:06:17 PM »
The DS actors are public figures, so if someone chooses to use colorful names to describe them or criticize their public behavior, that's a poster's right, though it should be on topic and reasonable.  But other fans are NOT public figures, and our fellow fans deserve to, at the very least, not be called rude and inflammatory names on this Forum.  Thanks.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 30, 2006, 09:14:23 PM »
and seems to be so even-tempered (for a redhead)

I'm betting there are redheads on these boards that would take issue with that statement.    ^-^

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 30, 2006, 09:19:12 PM »
The DS actors are public figures, so if someone chooses to use colorful names to describe them or criticize their public behavior, that's a poster's right, though it should be on topic and reasonable.  But other fans are NOT public figures, and our fellow fans deserve to, at the very least, not be called rude and inflammatory names on this Forum.  Thanks.

Oops, guess this was me.  Sorry, didn't mean to offend, chalk it up to a blond moment.  Just wasn't thinking about it when I posted that.  Again, sorry.   :(
Buzz-isms:

"If ya feel it, SIT it!"

Offline Maybellique

• Full Poster
  • To HELL with canon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 30, 2006, 09:25:25 PM »
Don't worry... I can't tell you how awkward I felt sitting at his table at the '05 fest. Oh, I was ever so grateful!
What a treat for me, being nothing short of one of his biggest fans (and that itself might be an understatement!!!).
I pretty much knew all but one at the table and unfortunately couldn't hear everything everyone was saying,
because it was so loud in there. I think that was the main reason why I had my head down the whole time, praying
he wouldn't talk to me. lol. Oh, I love the guy and I had a thousand questions for him! Okay, maybe not that much. ;)
But I just felt terribly awkward and would have died had I had to ask him to repeat himself over and over again.
Maybe I'm just that self-conscious! Idk. I'd love to have another shot at it, if fate allows. ;)

You know, it's funny, I'll refer to him here as Johnny, but NEVER call him Johnny to his face.  I *do* call him John though, and he seems fine w/that.  Wink  Most of the stars seem okay w/you calling them by their first names.  Never called Jonathan anything by Mr. Frid however.  Last time I saw him in person was at his one man show at Hofstra University and we called him Mr. Frid there.  But he'd probably even be okay w/being called Jonathan to his face.  Wink

Oh, really? Yeah, I just can't bring myself to call him "John" yet b/c I haven't known him for very long. Personally, that is. I'm  40 years his junior and was sort of brought up to respect my elders. No insult intended. I guess old habits die hard. Like, another favorite actor of mine is Adam Busch from Buffy. He's exactly my age, so if I were to meet him, I'd feel funny calling him "Mr. Busch," if you get my meaning. However, to the likes of Angelina Jolie (though she's a few years older than me), I'd feel awkward calling her by her first name. Figure THAT one out. :P I guess it has to do with their level of fame to me, also...

Oh! :) I just thought of a funny anecdote of sorts... At the 2005 fest, when we were sitting at John Karlen's table, my husband was trying to get his attention and kept calling him "Mr. Karlen". FINALLY, he said, "John?" and lo and behold, JK turned his way with a smile that seemed to say, "That's more like it." LOL! So, he DOES prefer being called by his first name. ;)

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 30, 2006, 09:39:32 PM »
Maybellique,

Just click Quote in any post you'd like to quote and edit out the parts you don't want to appear in your post, but leave everything that's inside brackets.  Then you only have to add your comments underneath.  It will save you the trouble of having to copy, paste, colorize and put quotation marks around the quotes.

The Forum's Help area also covers quoting a post in the Posting section.

Offline Maybellique

• Full Poster
  • To HELL with canon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 30, 2006, 09:54:33 PM »
Midnite wrote:
"I'm betting there are redheads on these boards that would take issue with that statement."

So would the better half of my Grandma's side of the family, who btw are all red-heads. Sorry and that wasn't meant
to offend, of course. ;) ~DJ