Author Topic: Daphne Harridge: The Lady in Red!  (Read 2490 times)

Offline Bob_the_Bartender

• Senior Poster
  • "Serenity is my favorite emotion."
    • View Profile
Daphne Harridge: The Lady in Red!
« on: September 11, 2003, 01:57:10 AM »
Hey gang,

That was really quick thinking on David and Hallie's part, err, I mean, Tad and Carrie's part, in getting some of Vicky Winters' old clothes for the reincarnated Daphne Harridge to wear today.  Ms. H. was looking particularly good in that red dress, IMHO.  (Although, I would like to know if the 19th century governess thought that that 20th century miniskirt was the least bit provocative and, I daresay, indecent for her conservative tastes?)

Nevertheless, I also wonder what would have happened, if, in the rush to get Daphne some contemporary threads, the kids had "borrowed" some clothes from some of the other fair ladies of Collinwood?

For example, what if Tad and Carrie had lifted Maggie's long, floral-print quilt/skirt?  (Perhaps Daphne would have enjoyed wearing that warm dress while she was hiding out in the damp and chilly Rose Cottage?  And, I hardly think that Maggie would have missed that dress, considering her current "condition.")

The kids might have also borrowed one of Mrs. Johnson's black housedresses.  (Daphne might have looked like a young Sophia Loren from the flick, "Yesterday, Today and Tomorrow," attired in that "sexy," black dress.  Then again, Daphne might have looked a lot more like the beloved Mama Celeste from the cover of one of those frozen Celeste pizzas, decked out in Mrs. Johnson's dress.  "Abbundanza!")   

Of course, Tad and Carrie could have stolen one of Dr. Julia Hoffman's outfits.  No doubt, that lovely lime green suit dress of Dr. Hoffman's, which the doctor wore quite frequently, must have come back from Ye Olde Collinsport Dry Cleaners by now.  (And, I seriously doubt if the good doctor would be wearing THAT particular outfit anytime in the foreseeable future.  I think that Julia99 will concur with me on that fashion prediction. )

What about Mrs. Stoddard?  Well, considering the fact that the mistress of Collinwood probably buys the latest French fashions from such fine stores as Jordan Marsh and Filene's Basement, I hardly think that Daphne would "blend in" with the "regular folk" of Collinsport, wearing the latest haute couture.)

I'm just thankful that the kids did NOT purloin any of Carolyn's clothes.  Don't get me wrong, Carolyn has wonderful and exquisite taste in clothes.  It's just that if the rather statuesque Daphne wore one of the diminutive (but delightful) Mrs. Stoddard-Hawks' miniskirts, the dress would have looked like a short (and I mean bare-midriff short) blouse on Quentin's ethereal love!

Bob the Bartender, fashion columnist for The Collinsport Star.   

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
Re:Daphne Harridge: The Lady in Red!
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2003, 04:13:20 AM »
Do you suppose the little darlings thought about unmentionables?  Can you picture Daphne trying to figure out how a bra and hip-hugger panties were supposed to take the place of a corset and pantaloons?

See, this is what happens when you pay too much attention to the details.....[smrtasb]
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline Josette

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2003, 04:20:51 AM »
I was wondering where she got the red dress!!  Given that we've always seen her in red, it seemed quite appropriate.  But when Carrie came in with the clothes there was something dark blue at the bottom, a light blue at the top, and it looked like there might have been a gray and a brown in between.  Nothing red!!
Josette

Offline jthomas_123

• Junior Poster
  • I love Maggie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2003, 04:45:28 AM »
I love having Daphne alive now, especially seeing her in that sexy red miniskirt. I'm gonna love this story line!

Offline Cassandra

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2003, 07:40:06 AM »
  (Although, I would like to know if the 19th century governess thought that that 20th century miniskirt was the least bit provocative and, I daresay, indecent for her conservative tastes?)

She looked like it didn't bother her in the least.[vryevl]

Then again, Daphne might have looked a lot more like the beloved Mama Celeste from the cover of one of those frozen Celeste pizzas, decked out in Mrs. Johnson's dress.  "Abbundanza!")   

LOL!!!

It always amazes me how fast they seem to adjust to the styles whenever someone travels through time.   Daphne even seemed to have her hair styled in a more modern style too!

Cassandra
"Calamity Jane"

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2003, 01:05:39 PM »
Let's be thankful, Bob, this wasn't happening parallel time.  The kids might've raided Auntie Hannah's closet!  But then, I guess, the old girl was rather hip for her age.  She was one of the few who consistently wore women's flared pants.

Gerard

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2003, 03:39:10 PM »
Let's be thankful, Bob, this wasn't happening parallel time.  The kids might've raided Auntie Hannah's closet!  But then, I guess, the old girl was rather hip for her age.  She was one of the few who consistently wore women's flared pants.

Gerard,

You know, somehow I have this image of the beloved Auntie Hannah, still sporting those flared pants, that bodacious bouffant hair style of hers, and still schlepping around with about twenty pounds worth of those Sammy Davis, Jr-like rings and necklaces around her fingers and neck, down there in beautiful Leisure Village in Ocean County, NJ circa Parallel Time 2003!

Bob the Bartender

PS Maybe Aunt Hannah is doing private Tarot card readings for all of those lonely widowers down there in Leisure Village (preferably lonely and, more importantly, wealthy widowers!)?

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2003, 03:53:29 PM »
Show a little respect for the old girl, Bob.....better Aunt Hannah start up her own little business keeping lonely duffers amused,  than mooch off the family like Quentin's been doing for the past 100 years. [lghy]
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2003, 03:59:53 PM »
Show a little respect for the old girl, Bob.....better Aunt Hannah start up her own little business keeping lonely duffers amused,  than mooch off the family like Quentin's been doing for the past 100 years. [lghy]

Raineypark,

Your point is well taken.  You know, RT Quentin kind of reminds me of PT Roger, sitting around the house all day, reflecting on loves lost (or imagined), and getting "expletive-deleted-faced" before noon every day of the ever-loving year.  Whoopee!!!

Bob the Bartender, who says that five o'clock must come early for Mr. Quentin Collins of Collinsport, ME.

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2003, 04:30:35 PM »
I've always wondered why being drunk before 10am rendered one beneath contempt.....but getting drunk after 5pm merely makes one a "sport".

Was it the drunks who made that rule up, I wonder?......or the tiresome temperance types?
Dylan Thomas

Offline Julian

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2003, 04:46:14 PM »
I got a big laugh out of the Mama Celeste/Mrs. Johnson comparison.  Good of the kids to supply Daphne with the latest fashions, but as the Ghost of Sarah Collins mentions in another thread, Daphne liked the smell of lilacs, so I wonder if they raided someones dressing table for perfume.  I know Joan Bennett liked something called Jungle Gardenia, but I bet Mrs. Stoddard had a good supply of Chanel No. 5.  I wonder if Mrs. Johnson bought Avon?

Offline doombuggy69

• Junior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2003, 03:37:40 AM »
I thought it was amusing they saved Vicky's old clothes.  I believe it was episode 656, right after Vicky had disappeared with Jeff into the past, that Barnabas and Maggie were in her old room. (This was Dec 1968) They were packing all of Vicky's clothes up in a box, and Maggie was listening to Josette's Music box. She asked Barnabas what to do with the clothes. Barnabas was so distraught, that he told her to GET RID of everything! So she packed the clothes up with the music box. Although we never saw her take the box away, I can't imagine she would not do what Barnabas told her to do.

Offline Birdie

• Senior Poster
  • And her little dog too
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2003, 07:53:32 PM »
Mrs. Johnson, I think would use Jean "A Tai.  Spelling is way off, but it seems to fit her personality and budget.

Birdie
Birdie--
God please put your arm around my shoulder and your hand across my mouth

Offline Matt

• I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2003, 03:27:25 AM »
I got a kick out of the mention that they were using Vicki's old clothes for Daphne too. I was totally waiting for the kids to come bursting into the room holding a pile of those wretched sleeveless bag dresses that seem to make up Ms. Winters' whole wardrobe in the early color episodes. One of my favorite Vicki wardrobe moments has to be when she is brooding over whether she should sport her baby blue sleeveless bag dress or her pink speckled bag dress for her date with Burke - what a trying decision. I believe she had to consult Dr. Hoffman, being of course the Dark Shadows high priestess of fashion.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2003, 03:58:50 AM »
Matt, it's so nice to see you delurking and deciding to post. Please continue to share your thoughts with us on a regular basis.  :)

One of my favorite Vicki wardrobe moments has to be when she is brooding over whether she should sport her baby blue sleeveless bag dress or her pink speckled bag dress for her date with Burke - what a trying decision.

I agree. They were probably
fashionable at the time, but
you have to wonder who
first designed those dresses,
and what they were smoking
at the time.

Though not sleeveless, the
absolute worst has to be the
red one with the blue trim. It
looked like she was wearing a
one-size-fits-all red tent -
there was no shape to it