Author Topic: HODS on TCM Tonight (Jan 31)  (Read 1795 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: HODS on TCM Tonight (Jan 31)
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2012, 01:03:42 AM »
The other day there was an update of sorts posted to the "hoDS/NoDS DVD Release?" topic over on the "Current Talk '12 I" board:

This article reports...

Though there's been no confirmation that the info is accurate.

Offline mm#7

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2012, 07:33:20 AM »
My sister and I saw a sneak preview on Night of Dark Shadows in Sept, 1971, at the Colony Theater in Jackson Hts Queens where we lived at the time. Yes, it was a little more graphic in the scenes withLara and david, and Kate and David. However, I never have seen those prints again.Not even on the Laser Disc that I still have.

Offline Darren Gross

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2012, 06:02:14 AM »
MM, that's because that after the initial run of 'R' rated prints was run, the negative was cut down to the 'GP' version and that material was disposed over in the intervening years.  The intermediate materials, interpositives and internegs were all of the GP version.  There's only 1 remaining 'R' rated print that exists, that I'm aware of, and it's faded and damaged.

The only way to get that footage back is through the full restoration of the 129min version I'm working on... Just before the original neg was cut down from the 129min version to the much shorter 97 then 94min versions, a protection element was made from it- picture only.  That's what I'm working from, and it has all the material in the R-rated cut, of course, plus 32 + mins more. [snow_wow]

Offline DLA75

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2012, 06:25:09 AM »
Darren Is any of the Dialogue and audio from that one remaing " 97min? 'R' rated print" useable in the restoration. Alot can be done to enhance and restore damaged audio tracks with prorams like pro tools and other computer hardware and software.
Dan

Offline Darren Gross

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2012, 09:11:32 AM »
Hi DLA, thankfully there's no need to use that print. If it was the only remaining source, of course we would, but...

We have a 35mm fullcoat MAG track that was the original audio master that Curtis and co. physically cut back during the re-editing.  Probably because of the hurried nature of the re-edit, the MAG actually has about 100 mins of audio on it, which encompasses all of the 'R' rating edits, plus two full additional scenes, and miscellaneous bibs and bobs...

Offline Cousin_Barnabas

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2012, 10:25:02 AM »
Darren, I just want to say that your project is endlessly fascinating to me.  I appreciate all of the hard work you have put into tracking down and restoring Night of Dark Shadows.  I am sure it will be fantastic once it is complete.  I can hardly wait.  I love that movie. 

Offline Darren Gross

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2012, 11:45:05 PM »
Thanks Cousin!