Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0548  (Read 1279 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0548
« on: September 19, 2013, 01:30:04 AM »
Robservations #548

And if you'd care to look back, the first WP discussion topic for this ep:
Re: Discuss - Ep #0548

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2013, 04:39:30 PM »
Nicholas cruelly gives Angelique a ray of hope by offering her life if she can get Barn to forgive her which we later find out he can't as Nick knew all along. So; the witch is dead. Good riddance, for now. And not a moment to soon - Parker's begging voice is very irritating, coupled with the fact the the character deserved no mercy - having the gall to offer a simple I'm sorry for the act of killing everyone Barn's ever loved: Laughable. I did like that Ange was playing him and that there was no wink to the audience as is sometimes done. Her desperation to live played extremely well as desperation to die forgiven. I don't remember how long Barn gets to be happy over Ange's death. Once again, Julia comes up with the solution - Ange's portrait.

The scenes with Barn & Julia were good - Julia's reasoning to kill Ange, Barn's reckoning, etc. - a lot of good stuff - and I enjoyed them most for content. I was wrong yesterday, Barn was more than slightly reluctant to leave Ange in Julia's unsympathetic hands. Hall was good today and so was HAA. Frid was uneven unfortunately because he had a lot of great lines, but he did have some excellent moments. Parker was good too, but I didn't enjoy it. Edmonds was uneven as well.

Not sure if it is credible that Ange knows about the secret passages, but, why not?

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2013, 05:09:58 PM »
I wonder if HAA is so engaging as Blair that we all actually want him to succeed, as if he's the good guy.  Or am I just thoroughly evil?   I'm sick of Barnabas basically continuing to be a bad guy, though, with no one around him thinking so.   Generally the most positive he ever is is "neutral".   He retains the cynicism and harsh demeanor of evil Barn, he just doesn't act on it anymore.   The only reason we sometimes see him as the protagonist is that we saw him innocent in 1795, as a very admirable character whom we even saw become heroic for awhile.   We remember that and give 1968 Barnabas a big pass.   I'm sick of it.  I want some real reformation to happen onscreen, not just things like: Barnabas guilted by Vicki's devotion to him into living up briefly to his better self.   Barnabas isn't engaging, he's a pain.

How is it that Cass and Nick get to hang out in Vicki's room, and Barnabas and Julia later?  They had Vicki give some sort of excuse for clearing out of her room, her feeling uncomfortable with the changed Ang portrait, but is she just lurking in the breakfast room eating Pop Tarts, while all the conferences in her room are taking place?

Ang dies yet again, Nick carries her off somewhere, Hell I guess.   Barnabas thinks he's free.   He thinks that at every opportunity, strange for someone we think of as so cynical.   He really ought to stop saying his problems are over, he always jinxes the whole deal that way.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2013, 05:56:35 PM »
You are thoroughly evil.

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2013, 06:24:21 PM »
Fun stuff with Cassange and Nicholas in Vicki's room. In this scene her hands have not aged. Later, when she goes to the Old House, her hands have caught up with the rest of her.

Barnabas reminds Angelique (as he always addresses her) that she killed Josette and his mother. Perhaps Sarah's death is too painful for him to mention.

Vicki is staying in Carolyn's room tonight, hence everyone else's freedom to visit her room.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2013, 06:59:33 PM »
Vicki is staying in Carolyn's room tonight, hence everyone else's freedom to visit her room.

Ah.  Thank you.   I did like to think of her sitting forlornly chewing on a Pop Tart by herself, though.

You are thoroughly evil.

LOL!  Well, that settles that!
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2013, 12:26:36 AM »
Assuming Pop Tarts had even been invented back then. And anyway, for all we know, Carolyn had a whole closetful of them.  [ghost_cheesy]

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2013, 02:05:00 AM »
(I think they've been around all my life...)

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2013, 04:33:28 AM »
Angie comes into Vickie's room via the secret panel. I wish they used the secret panels more. They are so much fun that when I remodeled my house I had to add one.  And Nick is waiting there in anticipation of her every move.  Roger having married two supernatural creatures decides to never marry again. Barnabas tells Julia that Angelique died at the Old House once again, but Nick takes the body no doubt for nefarious purposes.
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times