Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0547  (Read 987 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0547
« on: May 20, 2008, 06:38:08 PM »

Offline Sandor

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Discuss - Ep #0547
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2008, 06:56:14 PM »
Episode #547 was my first exposure to Dark Shadows in 1968. My older sister and her friends gathered around the TV set at 4pm, and announced that today was "the big showdown" between Barnabas and Angelique Collins! I was only 6, but my parents - having heard of the DS phenomenon - said I could watch it provided they chaperoned (and got to see what all the hype was about). Despite a few flubbed lines here and there, this is truly a classic episode. I always got the impression (from the cliffhanger) that Barnabas suspected Julia had done something sinister to the aged Cassandra behind closed doors (i.e., tossed her out the window, injected her with a hypodermic needle and then rolled her under the sofa). Supposedly, Julia was still holding onto the gun that Cass tried to kill Barn with, though we heard no gunshots coming from the Drawing Room (that wouldn't have been easy to explain away to Roger, standing nearby).

And kudos to Vicki, who finally wises up in this episode, and figures out Angelique/Cassandra's plan started by getting her portrait into Collinwood, so it could bewitch Roger and bedevil Barnabas. If many moaned and groaned through much of the Dream Curse/Adam storyline, this episode (and the one following it) was a great payoff.

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2008, 09:31:50 AM »
Yes indeed, great episode!

Surprise, surprise, Cassandra shilly-shallied herself out of killing Barnabas.  Does she never learn?

The four people other than Cassandra in this episode reacted to Cassandra's troubles in ways that fit them.  Vicky was passive: she just sat and waited for Julia to find out what was going on.  Come to think of it, that's not completely typical for Vicky: it seems to me that she was much more likely to do something silly that would put her into series-heroine-style jeopardy.  Maybe Vicky is getting smarter after all.  Julia, meanwhile, was active: all ready to kill Cassandra.  Less than a year ago, Julia was half-crazy because she had helped Barnabas kill Dave Woodard, but now she's all set to do some killing of her own.  I suppose she figures that killing a killer is OK - but did she think that a year ago?  Next we have Barnabas, who is certain that he knows exactly what's going on: all he has to do is sit and wait, and Angelique will die without his having to lift a finger.  Jonathan Frid really drew my eyes to him today - so taut and commanding, even though, not for the first time, Barnabas is not quite the master of the situation that he believes himself to be.  And Roger was, as usual, clueless.  What an interesting night for him!  First Cassandra tells him their marriage is dead, then Angelique's portrait does something that no portrait should do on its own, and finally a dying woman, a stranger to him, turns up on his doorstep.  Three events, which Barnabas and Julia know to be all part of a single course of events - but for Roger it's just an unfortunate but entirely unrelated series of events.

Offline EmeraldRose

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2008, 11:40:04 AM »
What struck me as ironic as I was watching Angelique as an old woman was the fact that her makeup made her face look like it was made out of clay!   [laughing1]

Excellent episode.  [clap2] The confrontation between Angelique and Barnabas was very satisfying. I don't remember now, but I'm sure the first time I watched this episode, I feared for Barnabas' life and I was relieved when Angelique was overcome with pain in her old-age before shooting Barnabas. [ghost_shocked] I don't blame Barnabas for not believing her at first when she said she was human. She had lied to him so many times before.  [ghost_nowink]

It was quite amusing to watch Roger be oblivious to what was going on and not know who the "old woman" was!  [ghost_grin] I'm sure he must have been quite puzzled about where and how she got there. [ghost_huh]

It sure seemed like Julia was going to harm Angelique when they were alone together. It was quite shocking to find Angelique gone! She didn't seem strong enough to move! [shkdg]

It was neat to find Angelique's portrait changing. [spoiler]In a way, it reminds me of Quentin's portrait. Except Quentin's portrait was aging while Quentin was not. Angelique's portrait simply was a reflection of Angelique's current state of living.[/spoiler]

----- Sally -----
[coolg] [hippy2]
----- Sally -----
[snow_bigglass] [hippy2]

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2008, 08:38:50 PM »
I didn't really think Cassandra was going to be able to shoot Barnabas....two words, Nicholas Blair. He's already stopped her twice.

Is it just me, or did Cassandra look more older here than she did when Sam Evans had aged her portrait?

It's interesting that Barnabas did NOT want to kill her and Julia did. I like to think maybe he didn't want one more death over his head, even if it was the woman who cursed him as a vampire. Still, I'm with Julia....kill the witch and be done with it, you'd be much better off, Barnabas.

I too wondered if Julia was going to kill Cassandra in private....I guess maybe she got cold feet. Or maybe she did remember about Dave Woodard and her role in his death at the last second and backed off.

Offline loril54

• Senior Poster
  • Long Live DS Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2008, 12:59:32 AM »
I wished Barnabas would have killed her. Especially if she was human and Nicholas was
mad at her. She might not have come back. (I don't think we would have been so lucky.)

I still think that Julia was a stronger person than Barnabas was.  Will Barnabas blame himself
for not killing Cassandra/ Angelique?  Maybe that was Barnabas' problem all along, he had
a hard time making up his mind.
Vote for Jonathan in the Walk of Fame.

http://www.canadaswalkoffame.com/nominate