Author Topic: happy birthday to our show!  (Read 1429 times)

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
happy birthday to our show!
« on: June 27, 2008, 10:29:11 PM »
yes folks it's that time again...

time to wish our show a happy birthday.on a summer afternoon forty two years ago it all began. [occasion18]

i always watch episode one on this day.it gives me something of a spiritual connection to it.

i always find something new...for instance,in an effort to make joan bennett look as regal as humanly possible,she is carrying what appears to be a fan along with that gown and that hairdo and those jewels.REGAL!

but i always feel melancholy when i see vicki and maggie in this episode considering the tragedies they suffer later on.beauty and kindness are not always rewarded.

but i love this episode.
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline Julianka7

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • Collinwood casts a long shadow.
    • View Profile
Re: happy birthday to our show!
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2008, 01:29:19 AM »
Happy Birthday Dear Dark Shadows!  [occasion15]

Offline barnabasjr

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2008, 03:40:45 AM »
I know! I was just telling the coworkers earlier that today Dark Shadows is 42! Happy Birthday! [occasion13] [occasion15] [occasion18]
Your 3rd cousin in Virginia

Offline Sandor

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2008, 04:28:56 AM »
Gulp! I'm older than Dark Shadows! Well, could be worse - I could be 175 like Barnabas!

Happy Birthday/Anniversary, Dark Shadows.

Offline EmeraldRose

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2008, 09:53:46 AM »
Happy 42nd Birthday/Anniversary, Dark Shadows! [milestone] [occasion13] [occasion15] [occasion18] [beer] 
[dancing_skeletons]

I didn't watch originally until Barnabas came on, but I have seen the 1st episode since then. I bought it on video and DVD. Yes, indeed, it is melancholy to watch, knowing what will happen in the future. Roger and Elizabeth were in practically every episode in those days, and the storylines revolved around them. Much different than the way it was after Barnabas came.

----- Sally -----
[coolg] [hippy2]
----- Sally -----
[snow_bigglass] [hippy2]

Offline Miss_Winthrop

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2008, 01:33:44 PM »
It is amazing isn't it! The greatest show in TV history lives on and now it looks like there may really be a new Dark Shadows movie.  Life is sweet!
One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.
~Virginia Woolf

Offline barnabasjr

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2008, 02:08:17 PM »
Gulp! I'm older than Dark Shadows!
*sigh* That occurred to me, too, Sandor. About me, not you. [ghost_wink]

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2008, 05:08:41 PM »
The funny thing, though, for original fans is that when you watch the show, don't you consider almost all of the characters to be older than you (even though very few of them actaully are) because that was the case when you originally watched the show back in the '60s and '70s? It's certainly the case for me. And when it comes to the actors who have passed on, that rarely ever enters my head - probably because they're all very much alive in what I'm watching...

Offline barnabasjr

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2008, 07:45:06 PM »
...don't you consider almost all of the characters to be older than you (even though very few of them actaully are) because that was the case when you originally watched the show back in the '60s and '70s?...
Yes, I particularly always thought of Burke and Roger as much older, but I'm now older than they both were when the show started! Yikes! [ghost_shocked]

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2008, 03:51:00 AM »
Happy Bday DS!  I still need to collect the Collectors DVDS.  I am gonna try and let that be my gift to myself next month.  (I have no children or significant other) so....I will treat myself!!
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2008, 03:23:40 PM »
How many here saw the pilot episode when it first aired?  I did, and it was quite by accident.  The local ABC affiliate actually initially aired the show in the morning (so I'm thinking that I was the premier the following day) until after awhile it moved it to the ABC network's afternoon direct airing.  Anyway, I just finished watching some game show (don't remember anymore what it was) and was getting ready to turn off the old, huge black-and-white, white-oaked-encased Admiral TV set when suddenly that eerie commercial for DS (it's on several of the MPI videos) flashed across the screen saying it was coming on next.  Well, hearing that music and seeing the images of the taxi pulling up to the front doors with David peering out through that upper floor window certainly caught my attention.  So I watched it.  And continued to do so for the next almost five years.

Gerard