Author Topic: Inabillity for a member to access the board  (Read 1736 times)

Offline Afan

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Full Poster
  • Another body from Collinwood for me to autopsy!
    • View Profile
Inabillity for a member to access the board
« on: June 16, 2003, 11:00:56 PM »
Hi, this is Afan.  I have not been able to get to the message board in several weeks now.  Since you closed the board to all but members, and even though I have been a member with a password for some time now.  I am using my husband's computer and my password, and I have no trouble getting in.  Do you think that it is my Norton Antivirus?  I have had it all the time. What could have changed.  He does not have this particular virus program.  Is that the difference.  Also, when is the Board going to change and not have the sign in?  Thanks. Afan
Where are they getting these bodies, Mulder,  are they making them?

Afan

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re:Inabillity for a member to access the board
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2003, 02:59:36 AM »
Do you think that it is my Norton Antivirus?

I'm not sure what settings you might be using, but based on my own experience I wouldn't say so because I run Norton AntiVirus whenever I use Windows and I've never had a problem.

However, people have had problems with Norton Firewall. Do you use that as well?

What could have changed.

The entire forum system changed back on February 16th. Had you been able to get on between then and now?

Also, when is the Board going to change and not have the sign in?

Well, no one has ever had to login but the first time they access the forum if they keep the "Always stay logged in:" box checked or keep the "Forever" option selected in the VB style login which is available on this new system below the regular style login. But obviously neither can do you any good until you can make that first successful login. :-

I wish I could be of more help...

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2003, 03:04:48 AM »
Well, no one has ever had to login but the first time they access the board if they keep the "Always stay logged in:" box checked

I get tossed off here routinely....and ALWAYS have to log back in despite having "Always stay logged in" checked.

Don't say it.....I know....it's an IE thing.
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline MsCriseyde

• Senior Poster
  • Even the name reeks of Ohrbach's!
    • View Profile
    • Criseyde's David Selby Site
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2003, 03:18:15 AM »
I'm not sure what settings you might be using, but based on my own experience I wouldn't say so because I run Norton AntiVirus whenever I use Windows and I've never had a problem.

However, people have had problems with Norton Firewall. Do you use that as well?

MB, I forgot to mention this until I saw this post. I can't remember the thread where we originally got into the discussion about Norton Personal Firewall 2003 creating login problems and the workaround, but, either because of something different about the board or something different about the NPF software via an update, that issue of having to create an exception so that dsboards.com can access info about previously visited sites has ceased to be an issue.

I had to redo my whole system in March, and I didn't have to change the NPF configuration to access the board then. So the NPF "problem" seems to be nonexistent at present.

Dark Shadows Alumni Movies (Includes a DS News page.)

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2003, 04:41:06 AM »
So the NPF "problem" seems to be nonexistent at present.

Well, that's good to hear. Thanks for mentioning it. ;)

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2003, 05:10:13 AM »
I get tossed off here routinely....and ALWAYS have to log back in despite having "Always stay logged in" checked.

Don't say it.....I know....it's an IE thing.

It probably doesn't have anything to do with IE itself, but it does sound as if it could be a cookie problem because that's where the info about how long you want to stay logged in is stored. When the forum switched from SP to SE, the internal name in the forum's cookie changed. IE may be having trouble with that for you. Probably the best thing to do would be to delete the cookie and log back in.

Now, there are two basic ways you can go about that (but make sure that your browser is not open for either):
  • You can open Windows Cookies directory (the most likely path is C:- WindowsCookies) and comb through all the names, deleting any that contain "@www.dsboards". There could actually be several, so be sure to catch and delete them all.
  • Or you can use Windows' Find feature to have Windows look for any files on your C drive that contain "@www.dsboards". Find is usually accessible from the Start menu, so just highlight it and then pick the "Files or Folders..." option. Once that comes up, enter "@www.dsboards" in the box opposite "Named:", make sure drive C is selected for "Look in:", and make sure the "Include subfolders" box is checked. Once all that is set, click on "Find Now". A box will then appear and any files containing "@www.dsboards" will then be listed in it as each is found. When the search completes, simply highlight the file(s) that came up and delete it(them).
Once all of the forum's cookies have been deleted, bring up your browser and log back in, making sure that either the "Always stay logged in" box is checked or the "Forever" option is selected. After you've successfully logged back in, the forum will have written an entirely new cookie on your hard drive, and you *should* be good to go.

Offline Afan

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Full Poster
  • Another body from Collinwood for me to autopsy!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2003, 01:25:37 AM »
Thank you so much I will try this.
Afan
Where are they getting these bodies, Mulder,  are they making them?

Afan

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2003, 03:13:50 AM »
Thank you so much I will try this.

I hope it helps. But if not, I'll try to come up with something else. :)

Offline MsCriseyde

• Senior Poster
  • Even the name reeks of Ohrbach's!
    • View Profile
    • Criseyde's David Selby Site
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2003, 03:54:41 AM »
Oh, cool. I got the "voice of God" font on my earlier post in this thread.  ;D

Dark Shadows Alumni Movies (Includes a DS News page.)

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2003, 04:39:52 AM »
Oh, cool. I got the "voice of God" font on my earlier post in this thread.  ;D

Yup. Your info was important for the other people who were also having problems with NPF, and I should have actually highlighted your post right after I read it. But better late than never. ;)