Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0323  (Read 2125 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0323
« on: June 20, 2007, 06:45:49 PM »

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: Discuss - Ep #0323
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2007, 09:49:18 PM »
Great episode.  I remember that when I watched it the first time, I was truly shocked that Willie, with all his good intentions, got blamed for Maggie's kidnapping.  I've gotten past that now, and today I just enjoyed the situation: so many people busily persuading themselves of something that is just plain incorrect.  And such interesting details!  What on earth did Sheriff Patterson think when he came to the Old House at 4:00 in the morning and found Barnabas fully dressed?   And Miss Hoffman there as well.  Hmm...

Patterson says to Barnabas, "You have a man, Willie Loomis."  Very odd.  Patterson has already discussed Willie with Barnabas, so it doesn't seem necessary for him to re-establish the situation.  And Barnabas gave Willie an alibi previously for some specific time in which Maggie had gone missing - but that's not bothering anybody now.

Then there's Julia, the doctor who won't stand for murder, telling Barnabas that Willie is sure to die, so everything will be all right.  I suppose she was manfully concealing her horror at Willie's fate - but it didn't look as though she had to work very hard at it.

Does anybody else hate the phrase "the Evans cottage"?  Why not house?  And why Evans?  In a small town like that, you don't call a house by the name of the people who live in it now.  You call it by the name of the people who lived in it before the current residents.  That place should be "the Mapes house" or "the old Fillmore place".  I know they can't do that on this sort of a show - but "the Evans cottage" makes me gnash my teeth every time I hear it.

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2007, 11:20:06 PM »
Poor Willie! He REALLY stuck his neck out for Maggie and paid the price for it..... :'(

Even with Willie supposedly out of the way now, Barnabas still doesn't feel safe. I say he's still got designs on killing David..... :P

He asks why Sarah constantly protects people who would destroy him.....he can't seem to fathom that his evil actions have, in all likelihood,  alienated his little sister. She loves him, but she defintely doesn't love the things he does and that's why she won't appear to him.

Great episode.

Offline loril54

• Senior Poster
  • Long Live DS Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2007, 12:38:46 AM »
You guys got here before I did, didn't have time before work, now on lunch. I always felt like this show was great. I like th e fact that Lydia said about the sherrif. Julia at Barnabas house at 4:00 AM. I wonder what is going through his mind. This is how the rumors got started that Julia and Barnabas was having a wild affair.  ::)

Question if  Willie is the one who took Maggie, where did he put her, if he is always working for Barnabas. Did he hide her in his room under the bed? They forget if Willie dies, who is going to protect Barnabas during the day.  I would think that if Willie dies doesn't that bring up more questions than it ends.

Sarah, doesn't like what Barnabas does. Why doesn't she come to him and tell him to stop, doesn't she realize by now he needs direct verbal instructions. The cliffhander on Friday is great! I watched ahead.

I wonder if people in 1967 thought Julia being at the Old House at 4 AM scandalous. Or did we think about it back then?
Vote for Jonathan in the Walk of Fame.

http://www.canadaswalkoffame.com/nominate

Offline EmeraldRose

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2007, 09:56:51 AM »
Great episode!  [thumbright]  Poor Willie! [sadg] He was captured and hurt when he was just trying to warn Maggie!  [bawl]  It's a miracle that Willie survived. [angel4] That look on the faces of Barnabas and Julia, when they found out it was a trap, was priceless! [cheesyg]  That would seem very suspicious - Julia and Barnabas being fully clothed and wide awake together at the Old House at 4:00 AM. [winkg]  I thought it was strange when Sam and Joe were talking about Maggie (and them) getting a good night's sleep, when the night was almost over!  The writers were inconsistent again. [idontknow]

----- Sally -----

[coolg] [hippy2]
----- Sally -----
[snow_bigglass] [hippy2]

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2007, 04:39:10 PM »
I thought it was strange when Sam and Joe were talking about Maggie (and them) getting a good night's sleep, when the night was almost over!  The writers were inconsistent again. [idontknow]

That's just an expression that everyone says. I know that whenever I've gone to bed at 4, 5 or even 6 in the morning, I've never said I was going to bed for a good day's sleep.  [wink2]

he can't seem to fathom that his evil actions have, in all likelihood,  alienated his little sister.

For him to do that, he'd first have to admit his evil actions are evil - but he never sees them that way because to him they're completely justified.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2007, 07:28:12 PM »
Considering that September 20th is still a long way off, I feel compelled to post this entry from the slideshow for that day because it's one of my favorite screen captures of Barnabas and Julia:

1967: Ep #323 - Barnabas warns Dr. Hoffman that she had better be
right that nothing will ever jar Maggie's memory.

Offline loril54

• Senior Poster
  • Long Live DS Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2007, 07:34:42 PM »
That is a perfect picture.  I think they had such good chemestry on the show.  Sometimes I think of a Tracy/Hepburn, even though those two had a relasionship for years.  Jon and Grayson, really came through I think in some ways they took over the show at times.  You always wonder what they were going to do.   ::)
Vote for Jonathan in the Walk of Fame.

http://www.canadaswalkoffame.com/nominate

Offline Roland

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2007, 03:29:08 AM »
Well, I'm writing this ON September 20th so I have to say that is one great pic..and one great episode, while we're at it.

I'm having fun watching the episodes 40 years to the day after they were originally aired.  That puts me far behind everyone else in my viewing, I suppose, but hopefully newbies will be reading these Watching Project entries for years to come.

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2007, 05:48:34 AM »
Roland, I enjoy reading what you have to say, even though I rarely respond to it.  I thought (or mused, or mulled, or kept in the some alcove in my mind) a while about what you had to say about black and white in your comment on episode 318.

Offline Roland

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2007, 06:02:17 AM »
Thanks, Lydia, what a nice thing to say!   :)