Author Topic: Oh no! the Green Suit!!!  (Read 3362 times)

Offline Julia99

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • My Fans are Legion
    • View Profile
    • Barnabas & Company
Oh no! the Green Suit!!!
« on: July 23, 2003, 06:02:03 PM »
 :D Julia's legendary green suit is on the scene .. worn today, tomorrow and tomorrow and next week and next month . . ..that suit sees a lotta road and many days. . wonder if she just tossed it into the garbage can at some point?

Is this the longest worn garment from the wardrobe department? Are there other candidates?
Julia99

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
Re:Oh no! the Green Suit!!!
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2003, 06:08:46 PM »
Seeing as I NEVER paid much attention to Barnabas.....did his suit ever change, except when he changed centuries?

I know way back in the beginning, Willie wore that turtleneck shirt to death....no pun intended.  ::)
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2003, 07:52:22 PM »
Is this the longest worn garment from the wardrobe department? Are there other candidates?

Adam's green sweater and 1897 Angelique's green dress

What WAS the fascination with green?!

Offline Cassandra

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2003, 09:14:23 PM »
Eve's black dress!!!

I swear she wore that thing out!

Cassandra
"Calamity Jane"

Offline Julia99

• Senior Poster
  • My Fans are Legion
    • View Profile
    • Barnabas & Company
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2003, 10:15:05 PM »
Adams green sweater. . .sure candidate. . .i'm not sure about Angie's green dress .. . well, unless we are to infer that was her Hellfires dress [firedevil] .. cuz she popped in, popped out . ..and Eve's black dress . .?? hmm. .she only lived in it for a few days right? [haironend]
Julia99

Offline Bob_the_Bartender

• Senior Poster
  • "Serenity is my favorite emotion."
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2003, 11:55:40 PM »
Julia99,

The late, lamented Alden Wicks was wearing one of those plaid woolen shirt/jackets called C.P.O's, which were very popular back during the 1960s. (I still have mine!)

Of course, Alden only got  to wear that shirt/jacket in only one DS episode.  However, both "Real Time's" Joe Haskell and young Davey Collins had numerous opportunities to wear their "snazzy" C.P.O. shirts during the first two years of Dark Shadows.

By the way, old Alden could not have been the sharpest knife in the drawer, when you consider how gullible he was to go out to his deceased grandpa's house, all alone with a slimy-looking guy who looked like his picture belonged on one of those FBI wanted posters in the local post office, IMHO.

Bob the Bartender, frequent "Fashion Channel" viewer.

PS Doesn't the old Wicks farm house look suspiciously like the dump that Adam was keeping Carolyn Stoddard hostage down in the root cellar?

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2003, 12:57:20 AM »
The late, lamented Alden Wicks was wearing one of those plaid woolen shirt/jackets called C.P.O's, which were very popular back during the 1960s. (I still have mine!)

I still have one of mine too, Bob.....only mine were always dark blue....never, ever plaid.  ::)
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline Dawn

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2003, 02:51:25 AM »
Well, Barnabas' cape was around from the dawn of time...but I rather like that.  ;)

Was it a requirement that you had to wear green?  (not like it...just wear it.)   :P
To live in hearts we leave behind, is not to die.

Offline Luciaphile

• ** Collinsport Commentator **
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2003, 02:41:24 PM »
Seeing as I NEVER paid much attention to Barnabas.....did his suit ever change, except when he changed centuries?

Why, yes, yes it does. He starts out with two suits. Count 'em: two. Then when the 1968 plot starts and presumably Curtis and Co. realized he was a keeper, they enlarged the wardrobe to two more. One of which was brown  :P

Then there were the Hugh Hefner smoking jackets and of course, the cape.

Let me date myself here... what is a CPO and who was Alden Wicks?
"Some people ask their god for answers to their spiritual questions. For everything else, there is Google." --rpcxdr-ga

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2003, 03:23:32 PM »
He starts out with two suits. Count 'em: two. Then when the 1968 plot starts and presumably Curtis and Co. realized he was a keeper, they enlarged the wardrobe to two more. One of which was brown  :P

Then there were the Hugh Hefner smoking jackets and of course, the cape.

Luciaphil,

Let's not forget Barnabas' nifty, classic blue blazer that he occasionally wore.  (As for Mr. B.'s depressingly brown suit...yuch!!!)

By the way, I've always admired Barnabas' Hugh Hefner smoking jacket.  I would have liked to have seen Dan Curtis develop an adult-oriented, "after-hours" program with Barnabas as the host.  Mr. Curtis could have entitled it, "Dark Shadows After Dark," with Barnabas, wearing his smoking jacket and sporting his pipe (a la Hugh Hefner), greeting such comely vixens as Angelique and Minnie Duval to his swinging, Sixties set (just like "Hef" did on the old "Playboy after Dark" show).

I think the term "CPO" has its origins with the US Navy.  I'm sure you remember the ugly-@ss shirt/jacket that Joe Haskell wore, seemingly all of the time, when he was searching for the missing/kidnapped Maggie Evans during 1967.  That's a CPO!

As to Alden "I Don't Want Any Trouble" Wicks, he's the ill-fated dude who was going to rent his grandfather's deserted house to the late, unlamented John Yaegar for Yaegar's so-called experiment.

Bob the Bartender, aspiring "Fashion Emergency" particiant.

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2003, 03:25:00 PM »

I have no idea who Alden Wicks is.

CPO's are jackets that are styled exactly like a man's dress shirt...regular collar and button cuffs, with slight tails front and back.  The difference is that they were usually made out of a heavy out-door weight wool.  Plaids were common, but the MOST common were navy blue.  CPO is a rank designation in the Navy...Chief Petty Officer.  I'm almost certain that you can still find them...probably at LL Bean or Land's End!  They were as ubiquitous as bell-bottom jeans in the late 60's-early 70's.  ;)
Dylan Thomas

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2003, 03:39:37 PM »
Sorry, the character's name is correctly spelled Aldon Wickes.

And, of course, the role was brilliantly portrayed by the great Ray Carlson, whose name  will live forever in Dark Shadows glory with those of Edmund Hashim (the truly unforgettable Wilfred "Fred"Block) and Camilla Ashland (the always delectable Minnie Duval!).

And, Raineypark, thank you for the complete, nautical description/explanation for the "CPO," an article of clothing that would be an anathema to the hip and always with-it Quentin Collins!

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2003, 03:45:11 PM »
I'm almost certain that you can still find them...probably at LL Bean or Land's End!

Oh yes, they're still around. I bought two a year or two ago. One for me (red and black plaid) and one for hubby (black and white plaid). He wanted them to match, but I have an aversion to being referred to as one of the Bobbsey twins, lol.

dom (who's been petty but never a chief or an officer)

Offline ms._hoffman

• Junior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2003, 12:01:51 AM »

If I remember correctly, Sarah's ghost always wore the same dress and headwear.

Offline Afan

• Full Poster
  • Another body from Collinwood for me to autopsy!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2003, 01:30:09 AM »
I believe that Quentin wore the same blue suit in all of the hauntings and in the l897 story.  Matched his blue eyes! Yum
Afan
Where are they getting these bodies, Mulder,  are they making them?

Afan