Author Topic: What zines are still in print!!  (Read 2421 times)

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
What zines are still in print!!
« on: July 09, 2008, 03:05:31 AM »
I am sure TWODS and SG are still going.  Is INSIDE THE OLD HOUSE by Dale Clark?  They were like the triquetra of zines!  I  miss zines so much and would love to have a few in my hands!!
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline Julianka7

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • Collinwood casts a long shadow.
    • View Profile
Re: What zines are still in print!!
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2008, 05:18:09 AM »
Have you heard of Wyndcliff Watch?
All the issues of that are now on cd.
I am pretty sure. Excellant zine and there is a novel too.
Sins of the Father.

Offline Janet the Wicked

• Senior Poster
  • These pretzels are making me thirsty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2008, 05:13:39 PM »
The Willie Loomis Tribute page has zines for sale.
I get a kick out of these guys who think they're so clean, when all the time they're trying to cover up their dirt.

Offline Pansity

• Senior Poster
  • Who's Sorry Now?
    • View Profile
    • Jeannie's David Selby Site
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2008, 02:20:30 AM »
I am sure TWODS and SG are still going.  Is INSIDE THE OLD HOUSE by Dale Clark?  They were like the triquetra of zines! 

Sad to say, only Shadowgram seems to be left, and if you want to split hairs, that's a newsletter with no fanfiction.  Dale I believe from correspondence I had with him when buying some old ITOH from him on ebay, seemed to be out of the market of producing new zines.  I had mentioned how discouraged I was with how the quality of fanfiction had deteriorated since I became active in DS fandom in 02, and my impression was that that was one of the reasons he was no longer doing zines.

As to WODS, there hasnt been a new issue out since before I went to my first fest, and that's 2003.  However, Kathy DOES have two long pieces of mine which were accepted for a future issue.  Speaking off the top of my head I believe she's had them close on three years now.  [idontknow].  Haven't followed up with her lately, and I didn't see her at the Fest (I don't believe she was there) to ask her.  (FYI blatant plug here -- the first 4 chapters of the novel are still up on fanfiction.net if anyone wants to read a redo of the Orpheus and Euridice plotline, revamped to fit 1897 and Beth.  Kathy knows they're there, but since it's not even a quarter of the novel, it was thought it would be a good teaser.
http://www.fanfiction.net/s/1365355/1/The_Wrath_of_Cerberus )

Given that other fandoms I'm involved in still have zines coming out regularly, that just doesn't bode well for DS fandom.  [covereyes]

Jeannie

My David Selby Fansite (performance & book reviews): http://jwmediafanfiction.com/jeanniesdavidselbysite

My Dark Shadows Fest Pictures site:
http://jwmediafanfiction.com/dsfestpics

Offline Taeylor Collins

• DSF God
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2008, 02:28:09 AM »
I miss zines terribly and I have considered doing a one shot zine for KLS. I would love to bring it out for next years fest. I have a lot of material but would need a lot more to fill it out.  I would love for it to be at least 100-150 pages. Anyone with ideas or submissions or would like to possibly tackle this with me I would be open  PM me. I did one for Lara Parker in the late nineties. The Lara Zine.  I wrote Marcy and haven't heard from her so who knows.  Kathleen wasn't at the fest?  Odd. 
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2008, 04:38:22 AM »
Kathleen wasn't at the fest?  Odd.

Not really, she just happened to be out of the country.

Offline Pansity

• Senior Poster
  • Who's Sorry Now?
    • View Profile
    • Jeannie's David Selby Site
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2008, 03:12:01 PM »
I miss zines terribly and I have considered doing a one shot zine for KLS. I would love to bring it out for next years fest. I have a lot of material but would need a lot more to fill it out.... I did one for Lara Parker in the late nineties. The Lara Zine.... 

I miss zines too, bigtime.  In the other fandoms I have been active in, the norm is that multiple zines in the 200 + page range come out usually once a year, timed to sell at Mediawest, the big multimedia zine oriented convention.  The comparative famine in DS fandom is discouraging. And it doesn't seem that its caused by masses of good publishable fanfic being published to the web.  The quality of that has gone down dreadfully since I started looking in 2002, with a number of sites with wonderful fanfiction (such as Juliahoffman.com) disappearing into the ether of hyperspace.

Best of luck with the KLS project. I remember buying the Lara zine at my first fest.  Glad you did one before, so I know you know what you're letting yourself in for. Been there done that regarding putting out zines -- back in the dawn of time I published a couple, as well as doing a letterzine dedicated to The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles. That's why I'd rather have Kathy put out the zine (if she has any realistic expectation of putting  one out after all this time)  rather than publish the stories myself.   If I get bitten by any story ideas involving KLS characters (which hasn't happened yet -- too many post 1897 Quentin stories yammering at me to be written) I'll send them to you for consideration. 

I was thinking, its interesting how zines dedicated to individual characters/actors break out in DS fandom.  The bulk of all stories in general are Barnabas and someone else, even in the non-dedicated zines like Inside the Old House and World of Dark Shadows.  Then again, some of the stories are constructed to use all the characters, which is the ideal, and my favorite kind of story.  I believe Wyndcliff Watch is primarily Barnabas and Julia (someone please correct me if I am wrong, I only have one of the later issues, which I found on Ebay). Karlenzines are the size and quality I am used to from other fandoms, and they got enough submissions for four of them.  Then there's your Lara oriented zine.  I think that's IT for the main characters. 

Oddly enough, I've never heard (or read ads in old WODS for) either a Quentin oriented zine, or one dedicated to all Selby's roles, though I've found some excellent Quentin fanfic on the web.  It just seems a peculiar omission with such a popular character. My frame of reference there is the fact that over a 20 year period there were no less than THREE high quality fanzines dedicated to nothing but fanfic b ased on Harrison Ford's various roles. And, as wonderful as Indy and Han are, Ford  just isn't in the same class of character actor as Selby.

Jeannie

My David Selby Fansite (performance & book reviews): http://jwmediafanfiction.com/jeanniesdavidselbysite

My Dark Shadows Fest Pictures site:
http://jwmediafanfiction.com/dsfestpics

Offline Taeylor Collins

• DSF God
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2008, 09:36:38 PM »
I may do one.  But I don't really know if it will happen.  I have no idea how to get the word out for submissions.  Someone said TWODS hadn't come out since 2003.  So....

Offline Charles_Ellis

• Senior Poster
  • Barnabas & Julia Forever!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2008, 10:46:09 PM »
Julianka,  where can get this alleged CD of back issues for Wyndecliffe Watch?

Offline Julianka7

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • Collinwood casts a long shadow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2008, 02:32:02 AM »
Julianka,  where can get this alleged CD of back issues for Wyndecliffe Watch?

alleged?
You can email May Sutherland. If you aren't a member of the the yahoo Julia group,
I could ask her for you.

Offline Taeylor Collins

• DSF God
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2008, 04:25:51 AM »
Aww..May Sutherland and WW.  Memories.  I just couldnt listen to a zine on CD but that is just me [ghost_nowink].  I have all the original issues in paper form.  Just read through them the other day.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2008, 04:31:22 AM »
I may do one.  But I don't really know if it will happen.  I have no idea how to get the word out for submissions.  Someone said TWODS hadn't come out since 2003.  So....

I'd like to think this would serve as incentive for me to get a drawing or two done, but my eyes are screaming at me not to do that.   Not enough good screencaps around either, unlike with other fandoms.   I support zines wholeheartedly.   If you do one, though, I hope it will not have too narrow a focus (like all devoted to one character) or you may have far fewer contributions.  Also, zine makers love to make their zines big by typing double-spaced and only printing on one side of the paper.    That's expensive and unnecessary.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Taeylor Collins

• DSF God
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2008, 05:38:12 AM »
I LIKE doing ONE SHOT zines.  Like my first zine THE LARA ZINE, was completely dedicated to Lara Parke and all of her characters.  I would like to do one for KLS.   IF fandom is as dried up (in the zine dept) as everyone says I don't really know if a yearly zine would sell.  I don't know.  If anyone has suggestions or anything let me know.

Then after than one I could do another for example.  The David Zine dedicated to David Selby and it could be sort of a series of one shot zine's for each actor.  At one time I was going to do a continuing zine called THE MASOLEUM, but college and life go in the way.  I was looking at the flyer I made the other day (which holds up nicley after ten years) and not wishing it was then, but wishing zine's were still popular.  If Kathleen Resch isn't really doing TWODS anymore then that is a true zine that zine's are most likely a thing of the past.  Plus most people just post their fan fiction on the net, which I don't like.  I hate sitting and reading a whole story (mostly cause of my back problems) and I don't like printing it out cause INK is too expensive. 

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2008, 05:52:59 AM »
I thought this was going to be your first one.   I guess what I said may still apply, since if the market for zines has shrunk, a more general zine would have more chance of being bought.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Heather

• Senior Poster
  • It's an Orbach's, darling...
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2008, 07:30:55 AM »
I adore fanzines too (and I only first discovered them after I saw the entire classic series for the first time, soon after I graduated from H.S. - late '90's to early 2000's. Technically I'm a next-generation fan because my mom was in H.S. when DS was originally aired, and she didn't introduce it to me until well after they started airing the series on Sci-Fi.)
Anyway - a few of my favorite printed zines/stories include "Never and Again," "Shadowed Beginnings" (a book that I could not put down,) "Return to 1971," etc....
But then, I am an unapologetic B&J nut so - go fig. LOL
I'm also sad that JuliaHoffman.com has disappeared (temporarily at least - I think it may be back one day.) That was one of the first sites I found when I first got on the web in search of new quality fanfic. From there I found the Grayson site, and then the Julia list....I made some wonderful friends and continue to read some wonderful work from the people I've met there, and later here on this board too. Memories... :-*

Hugs,

Heather H.

W: http://hrh22.home.comcast.net

In case you didn't realize....Julia rules!  :-*