Author Topic: FAVE Magazine  (Read 4411 times)

Offline Julia99

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • My Fans are Legion
    • View Profile
    • Barnabas & Company
FAVE Magazine
« on: November 23, 2003, 12:03:34 AM »
Hey I'm hunting for a 1970ish FAVE magazine interview with Frid about HODS. . anyone got a copy?  with the date??
Julia99

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re:FAVE Magazine
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2003, 12:19:42 AM »
I'm sure I have it, but I'll have to hunt it up. (Thankfully, though, I keep all my DS movies stuff separate from my collection from the TV shows.)

What is it about the article that interests you?

Offline Julia99

• Senior Poster
  • My Fans are Legion
    • View Profile
    • Barnabas & Company
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2003, 02:03:54 AM »
A quote from Frid about who his character loves. . . .check it out you'll see. . .I've read what the quote says but there is no date and a few of us would like a scan of the article.. . and now what could I do for you MB?
Julia99

Offline wes

• THIS SPACE FOR RENT
  • Junior Poster
  • My Journey is Beginning
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2003, 03:04:40 AM »
 8) You're thinking of "Fave Talks To: Jonathan Frid" (FAVE, 8/70).  Frid says that in "House of Dark Shadows" Barnabas' love interests are Maggie Evans and Dr. Julia Hoffman.  The love for Maggie is because she resembles Josette ("That's the vampire stuff") -- but the "love for Dr. Hoffman is more human."  Interesting perspective.

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2003, 04:25:46 AM »
  ::)

If a "more human" love ends with murder by strangulation, you can have it.

Offline Julia99

• Senior Poster
  • My Fans are Legion
    • View Profile
    • Barnabas & Company
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2003, 05:50:22 PM »
That's it Wes.  . . the Juliaphiles are just compiling the known articles where the actors spoke of their artistic motivations. . .and we have that one but not a date.  But i'd still like a scan of it if anyone cares to humor me a bit more?  Thanks luv!

~~~~~~~~~~
quoted article:

FaVE: Can you tell us something about the "Dark Shadows Movie"?
Jonathan: Of course! This is what I have always wanted to do. It hasn't been as difficult as it could have been, since most of the actors are familiar faces and I'm doing my old role. I would like to carry Barnabas to his completion in the picture.

FaVE: Does he have any love interests?
Jonathan: He has his moments. There's Dr. Julia Hoffman who discovers Barnabas, tries to cure him, and in the process falls in love. There's also love interest with Maggie Evans, who Barnabas sees as Josette, but that's the vampire stuff. His love for Dr. Hoffman is more human.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Just a bit of fodder .. .Barnabas' love for Dr Hoffman is more human. . .? ahhhhh From the Fridman himself!  [bouncer]
Julia99

Offline wes

• THIS SPACE FOR RENT
  • Junior Poster
  • My Journey is Beginning
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2003, 06:38:45 PM »
 >:( Well, I don't have a scanner.  I wonder how I would hook it up and how it would be... would it be easy?  well, if it was easy  to use, I might get one.

;D About the Julia Hoffman comment.  If I were going to describe what's going on as far as motivation... We don't have vampires, really.  We do have a parallel, that I would think of as an actor.

:P There is the lust that you feel, your sexual attraction.  That's the vampire stuff.  We all have that attraction.

:) The human stuff is what your left with after the lust has gone.  That's when you really fall in love.  When you become friends.  When you become human.

8) Or, not!

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2003, 05:15:58 PM »
Well, I think that in hoDS as originally shot, the "human" dimensions of Barnabas' affection for Julia were present to a degree... The script excerpt for the scene in which Julia and Barnabas take a stroll together, in particular, makes one wish that that scene had wound up in the final edit of the film.  At least we have the stills and the script.

In the final edit, there is, to all intents and purposes, NO character development in the movie.  I'm afraid that DC took this aspect as the pattern for the dreadful episode of the 1991 series where Barnabas commits three murders in the space of about ten minutes, to an ultimately absurd effect.  I'll never forget poor Julianna McCarthy's hysterical mugging in her death scene opposite Ben Cross... both thesps deserved far better than this travesty.

The same can be said, IN SPADES, for Messrs Frid, Hall, Thayer David and the other principle plays in hoDS.

G.

Nancy

« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2003, 06:23:58 PM »
~~~~~~~~~~
quoted article:

FaVE: Can you tell us something about the "Dark Shadows Movie"?
Jonathan: Of course! This is what I have always wanted to do. It hasn't been as difficult as it could have been, since most of the actors are familiar faces and I'm doing my old role. I would like to carry Barnabas to his completion in the picture.

FaVE: Does he have any love interests?
Jonathan: He has his moments. There's Dr. Julia Hoffman who discovers Barnabas, tries to cure him, and in the process falls in love. There's also love interest with Maggie Evans, who Barnabas sees as Josette, but that's the vampire stuff. His love for Dr. Hoffman is more human.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Just a bit of fodder .. .Barnabas' love for Dr Hoffman is more human. . .? ahhhhh From the Fridman himself!  [bouncer]

I took that to mean in terms of friendship, hence the human dimension which there is nothing wrong with.  I can tell you that in latter years when being presented with a fanzine depicting Julia and Barnabas in an embrace Messr Frid said in total puzzlement: "What is that?? They were never together."  He knew the two characters were close but not in "that" way.  That's why I think his remark in FAVE alludes to the friendship that developed between them which was also quite beautiful.

Barn strangled Julia in the movie because he thought she had betrayed him, and frankly rightfully so.  She did.

I always thought the blood and gore of HODS was deliberately done by Curtis to rid the series of the reputation of being a soap that kids and bored housewives watched.  His idea of bringing the show to adult attention was to do adult things like kill kill and kill some more, I suppose.

Nancy

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2003, 07:17:24 PM »
Barn strangled Julia in the movie because he thought she had betrayed him, and frankly rightfully so.  She did.

Exactly.

Nancy

« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2003, 08:39:34 PM »

Exactly.

Although going on Jerry Springer to discuss the whole business would have been more entertaining. :-*

Nancy

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2003, 09:10:04 PM »
Although going on Jerry Springer to discuss the whole business would have been more entertaining. :-*

Why did the images of Julia ripping off her top and exposing her breasts and Maggie and Julia getting into a no holds barred, topless catfight, all to the hoots and hollers of an audience, suddenly come to mind?

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2003, 09:28:46 PM »
 [jawdrp]  [6184] [a345]
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline Patti Feinberg

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2003, 10:02:59 PM »

Why did the images of Julia ripping off her top and exposing her breasts and Maggie and Julia getting into a no holds barred, topless catfight, all to the hoots and hollers of an audience, suddenly come to mind?

??Wishful thinkin'?? ;D ::)

Actually, Nancy Barrett and Chris Pennock would've been a better match!!

Patti
What a Woman!

Offline ProfStokes

• * Ingenious Intellect *
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2003, 11:48:35 PM »

Perhaps you had a vision of one of the future scenes from the WB's "Dark Shadows".  ;)

ProfStokes