Author Topic: (**3 BONUS SCENES-See reply #39**) Ghost Hunters go to Collinwood!  (Read 4262 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: Ghost Hunters go to Collinwood!
« Reply #30 on: September 08, 2011, 04:28:26 PM »
Ghost Hunters Episode Review: Dark Shadows

I haven't watched the ep yet, but it's waiting on my DVR. I'll definitely get to it later today - and then I'll read this review to see if I agree or disagree...

Offline patrickm

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
    • Central Florida Dark Shadows Fan Club
« Reply #31 on: September 08, 2011, 08:24:57 PM »
Where it was very cool to see a video tour of our own Dark Shadows mansion, I thought the antics of the ghost hunters was borderline silly.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 08, 2011, 08:30:14 PM »
Well, I definitely found the show a lot more interesting than some, including that reviewer found it. But then maybe that's because I've had a more than 40 year relationship with the house, I've been inside it on several occasions, and I'm familiar with all of the rooms that they checked out. I do have to stress, however, that during the vast majority of occasions I've been inside the house, I've never experienced anything out of the ordinary - save for that one time in '99. And I have to say that when the two main investigators also heard noises coming from the same second floor area of the house that I'd heard noises from in '99, it honestly freaked me out. There's really nothing up there except for mostly a corridor, the entrances to dorm rooms #207 (the second floor of the tower) and #206 (a very small room over the main entrance to the house which also happens to be the same room that we see David looking from the window in Ep #15). Though the other thing that's also up there is the entrance to the suite of rooms that the Careys always used when they stayed in the house back then (a suite that was always locked and completely off limits) - but the same suite that's referred to in the show as the Bradley Wing because Mrs. Bradley had used it, which is a fact I was completely unaware of until Denise Carey mentioned it on the show. And I also have to say that fact, combined with the supposed hauntings of the house by Mrs. Bradley and Denise Carey's and her fiance's remarks that they have also heard strange sounds from that area of the house, helped to freak me out even more than just seeing the investigators hear noises coming from the same area that I did because now I know it's a real phenomenon and not just something that I heard that day but couldn't explain.  [ghost_shocked]

And BTW, I actually used that first floor ladies room on that day in '99 because it was the closest bathroom and I was the only one in the house. And come to think of it, I didn't start hearing noises until after I went to the bathroom there. Maybe Mrs. Bradley was upset with me.  [ghost_grin]

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 08, 2011, 09:59:56 PM »
I enjoyed the episode (because I do enjoy GH) and it was fantastic to see so many rooms and corridors and even the basement.  Many of them looked like the various stage sets on DS.  But is the place haunted?  Like I've mentioned, I'm a skeptic and did a few ghost huntings myself and even experienced some of the same "phenomena" presented on the show (the sounds especially).  I've always found a logical explanation and from my own evaluation of the evidence presented about Seaview, I believe I could simularly dismiss all they experienced and even recorded.  I'm surprised they didn't come up with logical answers - maybe they did off-camera, but on-camera there has to a bit of "excitement" to keep the audience's attention.  I did note, however (unless I missed it), they did not say at the end that Seaview/Carey/Collinwood is haunted.

Gerard

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 08, 2011, 10:32:44 PM »
I just realized that the sound they said in an interview was the loudest evidence heard inside Seaview and which sounded "like a dump truck or something" was never even mentioned on the show. Odd...

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 09, 2011, 01:29:47 AM »
I might be able to answer that, MB, from my own ghost hunting experiences.  First of all, what they said might not be completely factual but rather an exaggeration.  Even though the cast of Ghost Hunters are, for the most part, critical of claims of hauntings and spend time debunking claims (from watching the shows, they declare close to 90% of all hauntings "unproven" - they even did it with this one with regards to our beloved Collinwood [they never concluded it was haunted]), it's still a show that survives because of ratings.  I would not take their claim without a grain of salt.  I don't blame them - they're paid for this, and Sci-Fi (or SyFy, which I hate) gets money for this.  We're all trying to eat, pay bills, and be able to get stuff we otherwise could not afford with a little extra in the paycheck.  Second, "ghost hunters" (I'm an amateur among them), knows from other ghost hunters that a ghost (meaning the spirit/soul/whatever of a dearly departed) cannot effect something beyond human abilities.  Humans cannot stomp around like dump trucks; neither can ghosts.  Third, sounds, especially in large houses, can be exaggerated because of "travelling sound."  Stuff acts like microphones and can enhance sound.  Fourth, and this goes with the third, animals living in urban areas are everywhere.  When they crawl or walk around, they can be heard, and the sound of their scuffling is enhanced through structures, like a a tuner struck against a surface.  When the team climbed through the trapdoor and found only a roof, any animal that might've made the sound would've run (or flew or whatever) off.  I once was involved with an investigation in a "haunting" that included the same type of sounds.  What caused them?  Racoons.  In my own house, there were sounds emanating from the ceiling and walls.  Ghosts?  No - squirrels.  Critters are ingenous in making themselves at home in your home.

Ghosts are fun.  The episode was fun.  DS was fun.  Imagine if Stokes, while helping the beleaugered Collins family, had said:  "Quentin is not haunting Collinwood.  You've got a family of possums living in the rafters."  There wouldn't have been a DS for long.

Gerard

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 09, 2011, 06:11:10 AM »
I've had both squirrels and pigeons in my loft and they never generated sounds like the noises on Ghost Hunters or like a dump truck - but hey, maybe that's just my house.  [ghost_wink]

But be that as it may, here's another article: Most Interesting 'Ghost Hunters' This Season

Offline Brian

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 10, 2011, 03:01:26 AM »
Well, I'm only 15 minutes into the DVR of the show, and (get ready to throw all your rocks at me), I am not convinced of anything like ghosts or spirits in the house (or of the "ghost hunters" abilities to find any such thing.) I'm sure it is a great money-maker for SyFy, and with this particualr show, for Ms. Carey---to help her and her fiance to restore the mansion (and I don't begrudge her efforts to that end!)  But ghosts?  I don't think so (although the Ghost Hunters are very good actors).

My atheistic opinion...LOL.

Brian

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 10, 2011, 05:53:42 AM »

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: (**3 BONUS SCENES-See reply #39**) Ghost Hunters go to Collinwood!
« Reply #39 on: September 10, 2011, 01:41:38 PM »
I don't have the time to watch them now, but I'm really curious to see what they are:

Watch 3 Bonus Scenes from ‘Dark Shadows’

Offline Janet the Wicked

• Senior Poster
  • These pretzels are making me thirsty!
    • View Profile
Re: (**3 BONUS SCENES-See reply #39**) Ghost Hunters go to Collinwood!
« Reply #40 on: October 31, 2011, 05:31:57 PM »
I missed it the first time, but it was on again this morning. Not exactly my type of show, but it was thrilling to see the interior. I've never been inside before. And although I wished the investigators would shut up, this was my Halloween treat. What a beautiful mansion.
I get a kick out of these guys who think they're so clean, when all the time they're trying to cover up their dirt.