Author Topic: ShadowGram Update #170  (Read 21920 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: ShadowGram Update #170
« Reply #120 on: May 31, 2007, 07:14:46 PM »
when ... he answers the phone, frequently I say, "Hello, may I speak with Barnabas, please?"

It's true.  I'm a menace. ;D

It's a wonder he puts up with you!  [laughing11]  But perhaps you should really be more careful in public.  After all, you wouldn't want impressionable people to get the wrong idea after all his hard work.  [wink2]

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
  • Only my freckles hold me together.
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: May 31, 2007, 07:29:17 PM »
Oh no, absolutely not!   ;D

After all, you wouldn't want impressionable people to get the wrong idea after all his hard work.  [wink2]

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: June 01, 2007, 12:42:30 AM »
when ... he answers the phone, frequently I say, "Hello, may I speak with Barnabas, please?"

It's true.  I'm a menace. ;D

It's a wonder he puts up with you!  [laughing11]  But perhaps you should really be more careful in public.  After all, you wouldn't want impressionable people to get the wrong idea after all his hard work.  [wink2]

Well, worse things could happen!  Imagine somebody coming up to him and saying:  "Hey, ain't you the guy didn't get to say nuthin' in that TV movie with that big broad who had to climb up that Christmas tree on the Titanic or somethin'?"

Gerard

Offline Phil

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: June 01, 2007, 01:29:39 AM »
The only person I would pay $75.00 to be photographed with is Jesus. 

Has there been some sort of announcement?
"It's not Star Trek, there's not a convention every week. If I miss this, it's a three year dry spell." - Patton Oswalt on DS

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: June 01, 2007, 01:31:14 AM »
Well, worse things could happen!  Imagine somebody coming up to him and saying:  "Hey, ain't you the guy didn't get to say nuthin' in that TV movie with that big broad who had to climb up that Christmas tree on the Titanic or somethin'?"

Actually, minus the part about "that big broad who had to climb up that Christmas tree on the Titanic or somethin'," that has happened at least once. While I was in the Fest autograph line for Frid in '89, the person in front of me remarked to him that it was a shame that after DS his career sunk to doing the TV movie where he didn't even say a word. Both Frid and I were so shocked that neither one of us said a word for several seconds - me longer than Frid, who eventually just shrugged it off. To this day I kick myself for not speaking up and pointing out how it's actually much harder to convey almost anything without dialogue than it is with it. But in the moment I was in such shock that someone in an autograph line at a DS Fest would have the audacity to say such a thing to Frid, that I was struck dumbfounded for far too long...

Offline Phil

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: June 01, 2007, 01:41:12 AM »
That's a weird subculture of fandom - the person who wants to belittle the one they sought out. I see that a lot. They roll up to a guy/gal's autograph table and ask a smirking "so what have you been DOING?" or "where've you BEEN?" The dime store psychologist in me figures it's a bit of a power rush - they feel empowered having belittled the "big famous" person. It's classless and gross.
"It's not Star Trek, there's not a convention every week. If I miss this, it's a three year dry spell." - Patton Oswalt on DS

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: June 01, 2007, 01:47:53 AM »
It's classless and gross.

It's certainly that!  >:(  And I agree that it's definitely some sort of odd phenomenon. '89 was my first Fest, but since then I've seen all sorts of bad behavior directed towards the actors in almost every way imaginable. It's a wonder they've been willing to put up with it and still come back from year to year. But one can only hope the good experiences with fans make the bad ones seem almost nonexistent...

Offline *starshine*

• Junior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
    • norwegiangal
« Reply #127 on: June 01, 2007, 03:12:40 AM »
This is an interesting thread.  I don't post much and I only go to festivals once in awhile.  i remember the frist one and witnessing the costume gala and people doing the folk song thing...it was amazing!  I had never seen anything like it.  When I have attended, I have enjoyed these events...along with the skits.

People aren't always open to change but it seems like this gathering is somehow different than the others.  It might just be rewarding.  And if it's not...there's always next year....the costumes and dances could wait a year for their debut.

Maybe they could do a survey to see what people really want in a fest and then use the data when they plan the event. [cyclops_ani]

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: June 01, 2007, 03:29:48 AM »
Actually, minus the part about "that big broad who had to climb up that Christmas tree on the Titanic or somethin'," that has happened at least once. While I was in the Fest autograph line for Frid in '89, the person in front of me remarked to him that it was a shame that after DS his career sunk to doing the TV movie where he didn't even say a word. Both Frid and I were so shocked that neither one of us said a word for several seconds - me longer than Frid, who eventually just shrugged it off. To this day I kick myself for not speaking up and pointing out how it's actually much harder to convey almost anything without dialogue than it is with it. But in the moment I was in such shock that someone in an autograph line at a DS Fest would have the audacity to say such a thing to Frid, that I was struck dumbfounded for far too long...

MB, we'll have to form a support group!  I'm pretty sure I mentioned this incident several years back when I went to my one and only DS Fest in Brooklyn.  I waited in line, trying to keep from fainting, to get TLATKLS' autograph and one quick pic.  Finally, when it was my turn, I just said a few quick words about how I appreciated so much her impact on me when I originally watched the show, get my autograph and a photo, and then move on.  The guy next to me suddenly started spouting off.  I don't know about what anymore, and at first tried to ignore it (as did TLATKLS), but he wouldn't quit, so I gave him a very rapid and tart comment, silencing him.  TLATKLS smiled ever so slightly, and asked if I'd like to have two pictures taken with her!

Gerard

Offline CrazyJenny

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: June 01, 2007, 05:14:05 AM »
The guy next to me suddenly started spouting off.  I don't know about what anymore, and at first tried to ignore it (as did TLATKLS), but he wouldn't quit, so I gave him a very rapid and tart comment, silencing him.  TLATKLS smiled ever so slightly, and asked if I'd like to have two pictures taken with her!

It amazes me what some people think they have the right to say to actors.  Years ago I saw Barry Williams in The Music Man.  Kathryn Grant was also in the show. She was married to Bing Crosby for 20 years.  After the show I went to get autographs and a man went up to her and did his Bing Crosby impression(which sucked).  My jaw hit the floor.  But she just went on to the next person.  She didn't even look at him.
"PEOPLE CAN FORGET WHAT YOU SAY AND WHAT YOU DO BUT THEY WILL NEVER FORGET HOW YOU MADE THEM FEEL."

Offline johnpeternyc

• Junior Poster
  • Hi kids!
    • View Profile
    • Our NEW Web Page
No don't faint...
« Reply #130 on: June 02, 2007, 08:21:39 PM »
I am indeed alive.  This chain has actually made me dust off my DS Boards posting skills and brought me out of my Lurkdom.  I have been promoted at work and am now running North America for the company...so to say I have been busy is a gross understatement.  in fact peter and I have been on the road for weeks and literally are back in oru house for the first time in two months.

What is the dealio?  I am disappointed that the festival has been reduced to the extent to which it has.  I do offer kudos to Jim for working to get Jonathan there to celebrate his 40th.  However, I would have thought that his attendance would have beget a larger festival...NOT a smaller one.  Its like in my business life...if the demand is there...then add to offering to serve a mass populous and not downscale it.  Here is why I am diasspointed...I look forward to seeing everyone and this is our one time a year to gather and catch-up.  DS brought us together but it isn't the only thing we now have in common.  Without the ability to spread the festival experience over four days this will not happen now.  Further many of our friends have chosen not to come due to the prohibitive cost of traveling for only 18 hours.  So this makes me sad and disappointed.  Richard Halpern is brilliant at what he does so to not have him there with us is also giving me a heavy heart.

The net net is I had resigned myself to never meeting Jonathan.  Though I would very much like to as he and my Uncle/Godfather (Richard Waring) worked together a few times at the Stratford Festival.  So how cool that I will get to see him afterall?  Very!  However at what cost?  Another year goes by without seeing those I care about.  So would I have rather we had our old festival from the last four years that I have attended?  Well yes.

Now don't faint again as a I close with the following...Marcy has done an tremendous job of keeping fans connected...though I may have "questioned" the Editing rights of that connection...it quite frankly is hers to do with as she pleases...my right to bitch about it...but thats another story and not the purpose of this post...I am more grateful that connection exists as it does connect many in fandom...I am going somewhere with this so bear with me for a second...Marcy also has looked passed peoples developmental and/or social challenges, and championed the costume contest.  It is truly a melange of characters (and I mean that in every way) It is no secret that this event is very important to many of us.  so to see this going away is an additional dissapointment.

So as I cry in to my beer...though I stopped drinking so my beer is of the diet root variety...I am grateful I will see some of you...I will endeavor on our travels to make sure we see people off of the festival schedule...a recent rrip to Florida provided a great time with Cyndi and Beth...so I will take this as comfort that it can happen.

Enough with my post.

Warmth and Frienship, John
Dr. John "DJ" Schaefer
johnschaefernj@aol.com

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: June 02, 2007, 08:31:20 PM »
Congratulations on your promotion, John!  And how wonderful it is to see a post from you again.  :D

Offline johnpeternyc

• Junior Poster
  • Hi kids!
    • View Profile
    • Our NEW Web Page
« Reply #132 on: June 02, 2007, 08:43:54 PM »
My darling voice of reason Mid...to borrow from Dolly Gallagher Levi...It's so nice to be back home where I belong.  You keeping the werewolves at bay? 
Dr. John "DJ" Schaefer
johnschaefernj@aol.com

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: June 02, 2007, 08:59:48 PM »
Yep, still goin' strong.  ;)

I haven't met JF either.  Should be fun!

I also haven't heard from Phoebe.  I hope life is treating her well.

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
  • Only my freckles hold me together.
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: June 03, 2007, 05:12:48 AM »
That is a perfect summation, Housefly!  Just perfect.

In the case of Frid, he is so different than many actors in that he doesn't believe he is "all that" and really could not care about celebrity.  He believes the only use of celebrity is to get to do what you want more, otherwise he doesnt care about it.

The story MB relates reminds me of reading or hearing some discussion co-star Grayson Hall was having with some fans about Jonathan and even she said that his stage career involved his only carrying a spear (or something like that) when in fact he won nothing but acclaim in the New York Times and other newspapers for his stage appearances in major roles, being directed by prestigious stage directors and in famous theaters across the country.  If someone is supposedly a fan of his and simply doesn't make it a point to know more about his stage career (which spans almost sixty years) then he doesn't care about the fan's opinion on his overall career.  He knows what he did and he did what he wanted to for the most part.  When that remark was made in 1989, he had recently come off a stage tour of Arsenic and Old Lace that shattered box office records across the U.S. and was performing his one man show all over the place and Canada too.   Again, information that readily available and a serious JF fan would know which is why comments like the one MB related don't really bother him.

Housefly, another sub-culture of fandom are those fans who have some interaction with the actors during the festivals and maybe at other events during the year who then refer to themselves as being "close friends" with the actor.  Frequently, that's news to the actor in question who doesn't think of the fan as being anymore than an acquaintance or maybe a friend they see at DS and fan events and nothing else.

Nancy

That's a weird subculture of fandom - the person who wants to belittle the one they sought out. I see that a lot. They roll up to a guy/gal's autograph table and ask a smirking "so what have you been DOING?" or "where've you BEEN?" The dime store psychologist in me figures it's a bit of a power rush - they feel empowered having belittled the "big famous" person. It's classless and gross.