Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0440  (Read 962 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0440
« on: April 20, 2013, 05:46:15 PM »
Robservations #440

And if you'd care to look back, the first WP discussion topic for this ep:
Re: Discuss - Ep #0440

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2013, 02:14:09 AM »
Whose VO?   Barn: "You know how the Devil makes work for idle hands?  Well, he will be busy."  Not sure whose hands.   I thought Barn was going to say, "Well, mine will be busy."   I decided it was Trask's. 

Maybe attacking Trask gives him validation as the good guy of the "story".   It's also a way of working off some of that evil vampire energy without hurting innocents for awhile.   I think it shows the vampire instinct eating away at his former human self, half wanting to save Vicki, half more concerned with premature (she isn't dead yet) revenge, than with stopping the execution, which is not totally impossible given his powers.

Barnabas can just turn and look at the nearest candle and speak, in order to cast a spell!   Unless he was just talking to himself about his plans to do in Trask, right after Ben left... in that case though, why look at the damn candle?!  Why play Angelique's spell music?   Did Barnabas learn this one from that wise Carribean Indian on a business trip, then forgetting he'd ever believed in witchcraft by 1795?

Farewell Maude Browning, almost, sort of!
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2013, 04:37:35 PM »
Barnabas comes home from not killing Maude Browning to find Ben breaking every rule in the Collinwood servants' handbook. He is actually sitting in a chair by the fire in the drawing room.

In his room (the fire still smokes) Trask is trying to peruse a large tome when the candles in his room suddenly go out (the stage lights go out first), and stay out despite his best efforts to keep them lit. The scene with him and Nathan is very good, comic in some ways.  Nathan listens intently as Trask describes the black onyx ring--the very ring Nathan used to see on Barnabas's first finger--and that Maudie saw on her attacker’s hand. But luckily for Barnabas, Trask is so panicked that Nathan can't make him listen when he insists that Barnabas is responsible. Trask insists his visions are Vicki’s doing.

Maybe Barn's powers are the result of his vampirism. He has a(n admittedly limited) number of options in the shape-changing department, and he can Dematerialize at will. But he thinks more about revenge than about the consequences for Vicki if he kills Trask. That could very well be one more side effect as his humanity recedes further and further into the past.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2013, 05:18:35 PM »

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2013, 06:04:54 PM »
How much more effective would have it been to have Trask go crazy over a floating hand in court. Though I suppose those unseen but up in arms townfolk would have blamed Vickie for that also. It's lights out for Trask and he is tormented. Barnabas finishes off Maude and then deposits her in Trask's bed.
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2013, 08:11:14 PM »
Frid seems to be picking up on Roger Davis' screaming/excitable vocal technique and it is driving me...batty. The opening scene had good content. We can usually count on insightful/practical/intelligent conversation between Barn & Ben and I always appreciate that as a fan. Ben asks what Barn was doing at the docks and Barn intimates that it's none of his business, and I am thinking , "Geez, Ben, when are you going to learn?" but then we find out that Ben has every right to ask because he is wondering if he is going to find a body along with Barn's cane. I enjoy being challenged like that.

The vitaphone tin echo sounding voice from beyond drives me nutz. Vicki's Old House fireplace shows up in Maude's room (at least I think it is). And the room I think is a reworking of Angelique's Old House Room with the small window and sloped ceiling. BTW, I love Trask's room set.

I turned my head for 10 seconds and missed Forbes busting Ben coming out of Maude's room. Juicy developement. Still lovin' the image of Barn at the Old House window. The second scene at the Old House with Ben & Barn and Forbes at the window was intense. It wasn't perfect but it was riveting. Barn's fixation on Josette is still undoing him. At least we now have an answer to that much asked question - Why doesn't Barn just leave town? lol

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2013, 09:19:14 PM »
If Maude's fireplace has fake blue Delft tiles around it, then yes, it's the one from Vicki's room at the Old House.

If I remember, Maude's room above the feed store is right up under the eaves. And a very sad and shabby little room it is, littered with Maude's pathetic scraps of finery but totally devoid of any sort of cane whatever.