Author Topic: Conclusion to Dream Curse  (Read 891 times)

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
Conclusion to Dream Curse
« on: February 21, 2008, 07:59:13 PM »
Lydia has assigned to me my own individual Watching Project, probably because I'm a "special" student who needs extra attention.   She has just sent me more tapes, and since receiving them yesterday, I have been marathoning DS (much as the marathon runners of ancient Greece used to do).   I started with the scene where Nicholas Blair verbally spanks the ghost of Rev. No-First-Name-Available Trask, and I got through the ressurrection of Barnabas when the Dream Curse apparently fails.   

I decided that I couldn't stop last night until I said hi to all the major characters, who were avoiding me for the first few episodes.    In one, Joel Crothers actually got top billing, as the highest-ranking actor present.   (And separate billing for his two characters.)   Then later I decided I had to see Barnabas get through the Dream Curse.

This set of episodes is less silly than other stretches of this story, and I actually was getting caught up in it.    It helped that they stayed away from the actual Dream for long periods.  Instead, we see everyone gradually coming to grips with the apparently hopeless situation, and the DC came to life for the first time, for me.    As long as I didn't have to see the Dream itself, I could feel very much for Vicki, Barnabas, Julia, even Willie, as they tried to deal with it all.     

Miscellaneous observations:

Sam's ghost appears to Vicki, then immediately has to take a load off of his ghost-feet and sits down in Barnabas's chair!

Nice Nick line about being terribly middle-class in that he doesn't like to drink alone...a dig at Roger?

No Adam for a long, long time, and even when we see him, he's there to save Barnabas.    Ahhhh.... (sigh of relief)

Strange conversation betwixt Cass and Nicholas, in which they seem to acknowledge in the dialogue the absurdities of what they're trying to do, and how they're going about it.    Nick especially wonders at the ridiculousness of it, but never is tempted to call it off.    On behalf of the Devil, he's determined to press on with Angelandra's cunning plan to recurse Barnabas but to take a lot longer to do it than before.     Maybe it's the Devil who doesn't think these things through, and they're just following orders.

Before being hypnotized by Stokes, Jeff speculates that he himself may have been created by Lang.    That had only occured to me a short while before this... why?    It seems to be a pretty obvious implication, now.    Everyone else watching probably thought that from the word go.   Maybe it was knowing he was Bradford (how can he not be?) that blocked other possibilities out of my mind.

Barnabas and Angelique meet in the woods and say that it would probably be best if they avoided each other in the future....!!!   Nothing said about the past!

I'll be back.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
Re: Conclusion to Dream Curse
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2008, 08:44:16 PM »
Part Deux:

Maybe Vicki should have told Barnabas the Dream before she herself actually had it.... could that throw the cycle off, or something?    (I realize that what I just said doesn't actually mean anything.)    In Doctor Who, I think we would call that a Chronic Historesis.   Damn, I think that's a real word, so now I have to go off and find out how to spell it.....

While dictionary.com is dealing with that... I think Stokes did something similar when he had the Dream, trying to throw everything off by saying everything himself, before anyone else had a chance to....?

Joe apparently dead on the floor right there in the Old House foyer.... Barnabas has to instruct Julia to "look down there by the closet door"... as if she needed to be led by the nose to see a body stretched out at their feet!

Seems it's spelled "historesis" or "hysteresis" and it's a difficult concept but I think I have the right word.     Not one of you cares, do you?

I didn't expect Barnabas's offer of marriage to Ang.    Human motivations are at the center in these episodes, as opposed to endless simple plot in the rest of the story.    Ang has to pass on the marriage because of Nick!   Ow, to say the least!

Barnabas, contemplating the "end", says to Julia that if he dies, Angelique will have won... and that he'd rather die than have that happen.    What??!    Someone should have walked on from offstage at that moment, and handed Barnabas a special Convoluted-Logic award of some kind.

I made a note: "Good for VW!"    I think I was referring to her determination to stick it out no matter what.   I like her at this point.   Eventually she crumbles suddenly for no apparent reason, though.    It was much harder than she let on, maybe.   I know sleeplessness.

At the start of an episode we get A Moltke's voiceover, and while it's still going on, we fade in to Vicki pacing, while we continue to hear her voice, talking about Vicki in the third person.   Peculiar.

I could sense the Julia-on-Casselique slap action coming, and I was right.   Still great and perfect, though.    Perhaps Barnabas could tell Julia where those duelling pistols of his went to....  The characters and events matter a great deal at this point, as opposed to earlier and later where they plod along and spin their wheels, and we don't get any reflection from the characters on what's happening.   That slap was very basically human and grounds the story and makes it matter on a gut-level.

And finally (for now)... Julia weasels out of staking Barnabas is an especially insane way.     She knew burial would be the same as being chained in the coffin, but worse.    She was burying him "alive" whether he becomes a vampire, or not.     I think I may have yelled, "WHAT?" at the screen.    What could possibly be worse than being buried and never being able to die?     It's better for Julia, though, apparently just because she doesn't actually have to see herself pounding a stake into his chest.   

Out of sight, out of mind!!   

More watching, more posting, later.

"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline retzev

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2008, 09:10:26 PM »
Barnabas, contemplating the "end", says to Julia that if he dies, Angelique will have won... and that he'd rather die than have that happen.    What??!

Hysterical hysteresis.
"If you've lived a good life and said your prayers every night, when you die you'll go to Collinwood."  - Mark Rainey

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2008, 11:51:19 AM »
I have been marathoning DS (much as the marathon runners of ancient Greece used to do)
Didn't the original marathoner die of exhaustion?

I didn't expect Barnabas's offer of marriage to Ang.    Human motivations are at the center in these episodes, as opposed to endless simple plot in the rest of the story.    Ang has to pass on the marriage because of Nick!   Ow, to say the least!
This bit is very important, I think.  For a the ability to do a few paltry spells here and there, Angelique has bargained away her freedom.

I'm glad to hear you've got the slap now.  It's a beauty.