Author Topic: The Official List of Annoying Anachronisms  (Read 7800 times)

Offline CastleBee

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Re: The Official List of Annoying Anachronisms
« Reply #30 on: July 06, 2007, 06:15:12 PM »
The first thing that came to my mind was the music in one of the PT storylines...it was supposed to be set the 19th century but the piano composition sounded more like something from a movie score from the 1940's.  Sorry for the lack of detail but, I couldn't recall the exact storyline. 
“There is something haunting in the light of the moon; it has all the dispassionateness of a disembodied soul, and something of its inconceivable mystery." ~ Joseph Conrad

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 06, 2007, 11:14:17 PM »
The first thing that came to my mind was the music in one of the PT storylines...it was supposed to be set the 19th century but the piano composition sounded more like something from a movie score from the 1940's.  Sorry for the lack of detail but, I couldn't recall the exact storyline.

You're probably thinking of "Joanna's Theme" which is actually from the Normal Time 1840 storyline, CastleBee.  Although it is a beautiful piece, it certainly was historically out-of-place.  It was eventually used as the theme music for the movie "Night of Dark Shadows," a very film noir type of melody.

My gripe with the 1840 plot was Gabriel's wheelchair.  Although it had an old-fashioned-looking wicker back, the rest of it was modern, with rubber wheels and glistening aluminum hand grips.  Obviously, the props man took a regular wheelchair and replaced the seat, leaving the rest of the contraption.  Either that, or Blanche Hudson's wheelchair somehow tumbled down the time-travel staircase and old Ben Stokes found it, figuring with a few mid-nineteenth-century replacement parts, it would work for sad, handicapped Gabriel.

Gerard

Offline arashi

• Senior Poster
  • What a lovely night for the unquiet dead.
    • View Profile
    • Darkness Falls
« Reply #32 on: July 07, 2007, 03:18:15 AM »
This is interesting as my Mother and I were watching some 1840 just a few days ago and remarking on all kinds of things but all I can remember is the visible light bulbs and lamp cords, oh and the very later period paintings hanging about the house.

Offline CastleBee

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 09, 2007, 02:21:46 PM »
You're probably thinking of "Joanna's Theme" which is actually from the Normal Time 1840 storyline, CastleBee.  Although it is a beautiful piece, it certainly was historically out-of-place.  It was eventually used as the theme music for the movie "Night of Dark Shadows," a very film noir type of melody.

Yes, that's got to be the one.  I liked the music too even though it was out of sync with the times...of course, as a kid, I never would have noticed.

Another thing...weren't there a lot of zippers holding those 18th and 19th century gowns together too?  Also some clothing styles that may have fit the actors better than the period they were supposed to be living in?
“There is something haunting in the light of the moon; it has all the dispassionateness of a disembodied soul, and something of its inconceivable mystery." ~ Joseph Conrad

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 09, 2007, 04:33:39 PM »
Another thing...weren't there a lot of zippers holding those 18th and 19th century gowns together too?

Reply #2  ;)

Offline CastleBee

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 09, 2007, 05:33:25 PM »
Ahhh, drat - I knew I heard that somewhere! (I actually did read the whole thread, just have a bad memory I guess!)

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 09, 2007, 05:40:56 PM »
i never noticed this "game" before.

yes the household servants in 1795 were rather elaborately coiffed...not to mention the abundance of false eyelashes going around. ::)
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 09, 2007, 05:58:39 PM »
i never noticed this "game" before.

It was buried on the Current Talk '02 I board. But I'm in the process of moving several of the games that were posted on the older boards (before this section of the forum even existed) so that they might be rediscovered.  :)

Offline CastleBee

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 09, 2007, 08:56:05 PM »
There was also an abundance of mascara, blush and lipstick going on when that stuff didn't exist.  But, it wouldn't really do to give up everything for the sake of realism would it?  :-*

(Sorry if that was covered elsewhere but, I skimmed over the thread and didn't see it.)

Offline Nelson Collins

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 22, 2007, 02:37:01 PM »
In 1897, Dirk replies to Laura's line saying "okay."  [hall2_tongue]
There's not a man on my ottoman, there hasn't been one in weeks.
There's not a man on my ottoman, he's gone off to fight the Greeks.