Author Topic: Logansport and the Cannery  (Read 2209 times)

Offline Nelson Collins

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Logansport and the Cannery
« on: October 14, 2004, 09:53:41 PM »
From my spotty knowledge of DS, it seems the town of Logansport is mentioned on a number of occasions, the most significant being IIRC Burke's attempts to drive the Collines out of business by buying a competing cannery in Logansport.

Is anything ever learned about Logansport or even ever seen or visited?

Since Collinsport was founded by the Collinses, would it be reasonable to suggest that a similar wealthy family, The Logans, founded Logansport?  Could that be one reason why Burke was so anxious to buy up this Logansport cannery?  Was there perhaps a long standing rivalry or feud between the two familys?

This is all speculation of course, but I am bored at work and this idea has been germinating in my head for a while.  Sort of a shame that the writer's didn't think (or wish to) explore this potential mine of characters and storylines.
There's not a man on my ottoman, there hasn't been one in weeks.
There's not a man on my ottoman, he's gone off to fight the Greeks.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: Logansport and the Cannery
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2004, 12:10:12 AM »
Quote from: Nelson Collins
Is anything ever learned about Logansport or even ever seen or visited?

We don't get to see it, but Buzz took Carolyn to a hip hangout there that's more swingin' than the Blue Whale.  Then again, what place isn't?

Logansport must also have a shopping area near the airport because Angelique left to pick up Sky during a storm and returned in a different dress and hairdo.  ;D

Since Collinsport was founded by the Collinses, would it be reasonable to suggest that a similar wealthy family, The Logans, founded Logansport?  Could that be one reason why Burke was so anxious to buy up this Logansport cannery?  Was there perhaps a long standing rivalry or feud between the two familys?

This is all speculation of course, but I am bored at work and this idea has been germinating in my head for a while.  Sort of a shame that the writer's didn't think (or wish to) explore this potential mine of characters and storylines.

Isn't speculating fun?

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2004, 03:21:28 AM »
The way I heard it, the Logans were Highwaymen, father and 4 sons, who left England 2 steps ahead of the Hangman's noose.

But that might have just been the rumour the Collins lads spread around the county.

;)
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline Josette

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2004, 08:07:21 AM »
Logansport must also have a shopping area near the airport because Angelique left to pick up Sky during a storm and returned in a different dress and hairdo.  ;D

I always get such a kick out of that transformation.  I hadn't recalled the mention of Logansport in that scene, but I love your explanation for how the change could happen!!!
Josette

Offline Devlin66

• Full Poster
  • Devlin For President in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Burke Devlins Yahoo 360
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2004, 03:40:13 AM »
as a punky kid growing up in a small midwestern town in Indiana in the mid 60's, i remember chuckling about the mention of this Logansport.......it happened to be the name of a real town 24 miles up the road from me that was known for its houses of ill repute on the Eel River.........the perfect place in my pea brain for a cannery.  God Bless the pre Barn episodes for all their intrique and mystique.
" When I gave Davey Collins the crystal ball I hoped he would see that I was his real father, and not that abusive Roger Collins!

Only Laura knows the truth regarding Davids paternity, and i am sure she remembers the back seat of that car Roger crashed.

Offline MaineGirl

• Junior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2004, 10:59:34 PM »
The way I heard it, the Logans were Highwaymen, father and 4 sons, who left England 2 steps ahead of the Hangman's noose.

But that might have just been the rumour the Collins lads spread around the county.

;)

Rainey,
I thinkt that's an interesting explanation....did it come from the show itself? Or notes on the show? Or was it created in fan fic?

Regards,

MaineGirl

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2004, 10:55:13 AM »
None of the above, MaineGirl....just my imagination.

But it seemed like a plausable idea at the time...... ;D
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2004, 01:01:07 AM »
was collinsport supposed to be in southern maine near massachusetts or way up north by the canadian border?
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline Josette

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2004, 08:01:25 AM »
No idea!  I always pictured it close to Massachusetts.  They go to Boston from time to time.  And that includes the ones that traveled back in 1795, so I just assumed it wasn't "too" far.  However, it seems to be relatively close to Bangor, but I've never looked at a map to see whereabouts Bangor is.
Josette

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2004, 06:46:40 PM »
was collinsport supposed to be in southern maine near massachusetts or way up north by the canadian border?

Supposedly in Down East Maine.

I found his map on the Univ. of Maine's site:

http://www.umaine.edu/iei/images/locatormaine2.jpg

It shows the location of Bangor and also Bar Harbor.  Bar Harbor (not mentioned on the show) is in Hancock County on Frenchman's Bay.  Haven't been there but would love to because I understand the area is spectacular.  Augusta and Portland are also shown.  Rockport is between Bar Harbor and Portland.  The rest is up to your imagination.

According to Shadows on the Wall, Collinsport is located "in Hancock County, not far from Frenchman's Bay."  In an early episode (#5), we learn that Bangor (the source of Vicki's checks) is 50 miles from Collinsport.

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2004, 01:10:21 AM »
thanks for doing a bit of legwork midnite.

my mother recently moved to portland maine.i've only visited a few times but it's a cute town.i try and imagine i'm in collinsport. ::) ::) ::)
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline Blue_Whale_Barfly

• Full Poster
  • What do you mean last call!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2004, 04:55:44 PM »
Bar Harbor (not mentioned on the show) is in Hancock County on Frenchman's Bay.  Haven't been there but would love to because I understand the area is spectacular.  Augusta and Portland are also shown.  Rockport is between Bar Harbor and Portland.  The rest is up to your imagination.

According to Shadows on the Wall, Collinsport is located "in Hancock County, not far from Frenchman's Bay."  In an early episode (#5), we learn that Bangor (the source of Vicki's checks) is 50 miles from Collinsport.

Amazingly, it's the only place in Hancock County where it doesn't snow.

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2004, 09:11:56 PM »

Amazingly, it's the only place in Hancock County where it doesn't snow.

Hell.....it's the only place in NEW ENGLAND where it doesn't snow!! ::)
Dylan Thomas

Offline Philippe Cordier

• (formerly known as Vlad)
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2004, 01:48:47 AM »
It shows the location of Bangor and also Bar Harbor.  Bar Harbor (not mentioned on the show) is in Hancock County on Frenchman's Bay.  Haven't been there but would love to because I understand the area is spectacular.  Augusta and Portland are also shown.  Rockport is between Bar Harbor and Portland.  The rest is up to your imagination.

Love this thread ... makes me "homesick" for Dark Shadows no longer being on the air ...

I wonder if the show was consistent in references to Collinsport's location?

In some of the historic flashbacks (Quentin's trial, Judah Zachary), there may have been other references that could be helpful in locating Collinsport.  I remember references to Bedford as being in the same territory, but don't think this could have been the same as present day Bedford MA.  It's worth noting, too, that the names of villages and townships sometimes change over time.  Just as an example, the Salem "witchcraft" events took place in Salem Village, which is now Danvers, MA, if I remember correctly (I might have some of these place names wrong).

"Collinwood is not a healthy place to be." -- Collinsport sheriff, 1995