Author Topic: Andre DuPres in the 1795 storyline  (Read 8110 times)

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
  • The grooviest HEP cat in Collinsport!
    • View Profile
Re: Andre DuPres in the 1795 storyline
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2007, 09:09:45 PM »
....that certainly would have added an interesting twist to the story.  Let's see.... Joel Crothers as Josef DuPre perhaps....

Now THAT would have cemented it for Dark Shadows being a beacon for gay men, LOL!  Barnabas and Josef, daytime's first gay couple!   >:D
Buzz-isms:

"I like the bike I got, & the chick I got!"
"I know just the place!?Over in Logansport!"
"If ya feel it, SIT it!"
"Come on, before he offers me a side car too!"
"Her nose needed some powder!"
"You askin' me to give up something I like?"

Offline Nelson Collins

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2007, 03:56:26 AM »
Now THAT would have cemented it for Dark Shadows being a beacon for gay men, LOL!  Barnabas and Josef, daytime's first gay couple!   >:D
Their's is a forbidden love....
There's not a man on my ottoman, there hasn't been one in weeks.
There's not a man on my ottoman, he's gone off to fight the Greeks.

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2007, 02:16:01 AM »
It does irk me how they just dumped characters with little or no explanation.  Quite often, the actors/actresses did have other things to do, so their characters were just forgotten, rarely written out.  Yes, the performers did have to leave for a play, movie, vacation, whatever, or maybe the characters no longer had a pivotal part, but they deserved at least something other than just no longer being there.  Another such gotten-rid-of that annoyed me was Magda.  Suddenly, there no longer was a Magda.  I think they did eventually mention something about her going away to form a 900 psychic phone line service or something, but for such an important persona in the 1897 storyline to just go poof was rather rude.

Gerard

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
  • The grooviest HEP cat in Collinsport!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2007, 02:30:07 AM »
It does irk me how they just dumped characters with little or no explanation. 

They did this w/Frank Garner and I was pulling my hair out.  Not to mention they TOTALLY dropped the whole Vickie trying to find out about her parentage!  Grrrr.... >:(
Buzz-isms:

"I like the bike I got, & the chick I got!"
"I know just the place!?Over in Logansport!"
"If ya feel it, SIT it!"
"Come on, before he offers me a side car too!"
"Her nose needed some powder!"
"You askin' me to give up something I like?"

Offline loril54

• Senior Poster
  • Long Live DS Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2007, 04:25:39 AM »
Could it be that David Ford and Nancy Barrett were not getting along. I know that they were married and that they then divorced?? Andre did treat Josette as a trading chip. Didn't Joshua do the same with Barnabas. Josette did marry a Collins.

Lori
Vote for Jonathan in the Walk of Fame.

http://www.canadaswalkoffame.com/nominate

Offline Alondra

• Senior Poster
  • Dark Shadows Forever!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2007, 11:25:13 PM »
Of course the worst case of this was when they had Adam just go into Professor Stokes' room never to be seen again. There is an advantage though, to their just dropping characters with no explanation. It gives us something to speculate about and those of us who write, to write stories about.

Alondra

Offline adamsgirl

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2007, 12:17:31 AM »
Of course the worst case of this was when they had Adam just go into Professor Stokes' room never to be seen again. There is an advantage though, to their just dropping characters with no explanation. It gives us something to speculate about and those of us who write, to write stories about.

Yes, yes, yes! I agree -- no explanation - nothing! And given his supposed connection with Barnabas, that was just dumb. BTW, glad to see you here, Alondra!

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2007, 12:23:14 AM »
Actually, that's not quite true. In Adam's last episode (Ep #636) Stokes tells Adam that he knows of a clinic where Adam's scars can be removed and then remarks that he (Stokes) needs a new project. Just from that the audience can easily surmise that clinic is where Adam went.  ;)

Offline adamsgirl

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2007, 05:10:27 AM »
Actually, that's not quite true. In Adam's last episode (Ep #636) Stokes tells Adam that he knows of a clinic where Adam's scars can be removed and then remarks that he (Stokes) needs a new project. Just from that the audience can easily surmise that clinic is where Adam went.  ;)

Okay, but that's still far from conclusive! I mean, we are to believe Adam and Barnabas had this very special connection. Whatever happened to one, happened to the other. That was mega-important. It was simply dropped! I"m sorry, but it's nonsensical!

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2007, 06:50:56 AM »
Okay, but that's still far from conclusive!

True. But it's also true that Adam didn't disappear without any hint of where he might have gone.  :)

Adam and Barnabas had this very special connection. Whatever happened to one, happened to the other. That was mega-important. It was simply dropped! I"m sorry, but it's nonsensical!

Agreed.

I have my own theories as to what became of Adam (theories that are very different from want Sam Hall's TV Guide article mapped out for his future) - but going into them would probably be getting too closely into the realm of fanfiction.

Offline Nelson Collins

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2007, 04:36:51 PM »
Adam and Barnabas had this very special connection. Whatever happened to one, happened to the other. That was mega-important. It was simply dropped! I"m sorry, but it's nonsensical!
That seems to be a staple "out" for any soap plot that writer's don't or feel they can't resolve.  Even today.

I don't watch soaps now (except DS of course) but back in the early 90s my last flirtation with them was The Bold and the Beautiful (didn't have much of a choice, my lunch break was the same time as it was on and several coworkers watched it!) There was one plot where a disfigured woman returned to LA to get revenge on the Forresters.  The plot reached a climax of discovering her true identity and confronting her then she disappears (with a large check to pay for plastic surgery) and neither she nor that plot are mentioned again...

Offline adamsgirl

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2007, 06:21:44 PM »
Sometimes, even primetime shows will do it. Case in point: "Family Matters." The family originally consisted of three kids. After a few seasons, the younger daughter just disappeared -- poof! No mention of her, no explanation.

I often wondered about Adam, though. Assuming he did go off and get his scars removed, why wouldn't he have come back for Carolyn? And, when Barnabas once again became a vampire, did Adam turn into one? Too many threads left hanging for me, but then again, as you can tell by my handle, I'm an Adam fan.

Offline loril54

• Senior Poster
  • Long Live DS Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2007, 12:15:32 AM »
I agree too.  Now, if he'd had a SON instead...
....that certainly would have added an interesting twist to the story.

Let's see.... Joel Crothers as Josef DuPre perhaps....  ;D

But what about Nathan Forbes. ??

Lori

Offline loril54

• Senior Poster
  • Long Live DS Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 21, 2007, 12:28:42 AM »

Can you imagine, Adam going under the knife. All of a sudden Barnabas falling down what would Julia think??

Lori

Offline Nelson Collins

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 21, 2007, 01:05:26 AM »
But what about Nathan Forbes. ??

Well, perhaps Don Briscoe played Nathan ;)  and Christopher Pennock as Alexis, Josef's manservant, prone to fits of jealousy and a dabbler in the black arts..... :P