Author Topic: 1968  (Read 17607 times)

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
Re: 1968
« Reply #105 on: February 07, 2007, 09:47:59 PM »
Finishing up 1968, maybe...

At some point Julia says, "God, do you want him to die?"   You didn't hear that often back then.

BC gets assertive with Blair just before the Eve rereanimation attempt, which was a relief after his having been a sort of personality-free nobody for awhile.

Blair to Hairy Johnson: "We're going to dig up Eve's grave.   And by 'we', I mean I'll keep the engine running!"  I added that last part.

Stokes to Adam, I think: "You can be assured that death is no better than life, so don't look forward to it."

Right at the start of the pre-1897 storyline, end of 1968 or early 1969, TAD is mentioned... Thaddeus Collins!

I think it's Amy who says to the old-timey telephone, "Could you hold on for a minute?"   I forget why I wrote that down... maybe I thought it was funny to say that to a ghost as if it were a regular person on the phone.  Anyway, good look of shock from David as Q speaks to him for the first time.

Classic fakeout, where VW appears when they and we were expecting Q's first visible manifestation.

Greg Trask's corpse has long, blonde hair!    I know, Q didn't have it either, but I wonder if I'm looking at a timeline where that really is Q.   When Q died in 1897 version one, his body had to go somewhere.

In one episode only, Amy and David said "Quentin" rather than "Que'in", which is how most Americans and a lot of Brits would say it, but it was a relief to have it stop... then they went back to it.   I used to do that, until I stopped and noticed it.

Did the seance to fix a 1795 problem with Victoria start the whole Chris/1897/Q/Beth problem?   By awakening Magda?    Or was it C Jenning's arrival in town?    Why did Chris lose all caution about living away from people, and stop keeping on the move?  Was it all the guilt laid on him over not being there for Amy?

Why don't I have a theme song that trumpets my impending arrival?

I guess I'm not done yet, though I may start a "1969" thread, I don't know.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Nelson Collins

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: February 21, 2007, 08:41:07 PM »
SFX question: In episode 631, when Chris visits Blair to ask about his murdered brother, said brother Tom the vampire had in fact been reanimated (this time in a plaid flannel shirt rather than the far sexier blood red shirt he had on when he was sucking on Julia) and is standing outside the window of Blair's house.  How was this acheived?  Did the director have some video footage pre-recorded to dump in a the correct time?  Because ISTR in that scene, we see an exterior of Tom  coming up to the window, cut to Blair looking surprised, cut to an interior shot of Tom looking in the window, with blair and Chris talking offscreen, then a cut to a two shot of Blair and Chris on the set and Blair walking to the window.

The shots of the window (inside and out) look like they were recorded on an empty set and I remember the pacing was such that it was not possible for Don to run back and forth to play both parts! :)
There's not a man on my ottoman, there hasn't been one in weeks.
There's not a man on my ottoman, he's gone off to fight the Greeks.

Offline Nelson Collins

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: February 21, 2007, 08:47:53 PM »
Blair to Hairy Johnson:
ROFL

In one episode only, Amy and David said "Quentin" rather than "Que'in", which is how most Americans and a lot of Brits would say it, but it was a relief to have it stop... then they went back to it.   I used to do that, until I stopped and noticed it.
I agree but I can't help being enormously enamored of Amy at this time so whenever she says "Quen'in" I just wanna say, "awwww, how kayoooot!"

Why did Chris lose all caution about living away from people, and stop keeping on the move?  Was it all the guilt laid on him over not being there for Amy?

I think that was it, since Tom died there wasn't anyone left to take care of Amy, though ISTR Chris getting ready to bolt now that Amy was pretty well ensconced at Collinwood, then Ned showed up with invalid sister in tow and not long after away we go to 1897!!!!!

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: February 21, 2007, 09:24:38 PM »
SFX question: In episode 631 ... The shots of the window (inside and out) look like they were recorded on an empty set

Footage was often shot earlier than the actual taping and then inserted at the proper time during taping.  :)

Offline Nelson Collins

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: February 21, 2007, 10:16:55 PM »
Footage was often shot earlier than the actual taping and then inserted at the proper time during taping.  :)
Interesting.  I guess that is the first time I really noticed it.  I mean it's pretty obvious that some exteriors were filmed  (Roger's car, etc.), but with things like the flames burning up Bathia Mapes appearing to the left of her before  quickly moving  to cover her, and most if not all of the Dream sequences ending on camera lingering on the something the dreamer sees to allow the actor run back to be their bedroom set in time to wake up screaming, I got the impression that just about everything was written, blocked and preformed so that everything was done in real time.

You say that it often happened?  Could you perhaps point to some other instances? :)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: February 21, 2007, 10:47:32 PM »
Well several that come to mind were when [spoiler]Angelique revived and killed Alexis in Ep #1001, Julia accidentally killed Hoffman when she was about to stake Barnabas in Ep #1036, and the many instances when David and Hallie saw the ghosts of Tad and Carrie.[/spoiler] It was mostly a device that was used whenever an actor had to appear on screen in two places at once.

Offline Nelson Collins

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: February 22, 2007, 02:59:30 AM »
Well several that come to mind were when [spoiler]Angelique revived and killed Alexis in Ep #1001, Julia accidentally killed Hoffman when she was about to stake Barnabas in Ep #1036, and the many instances when David and Hallie saw the ghosts of Tad and Carrie.[/spoiler] It was mostly a device that was used whenever an actor had to appear on screen in two places at once.
Ah, that explains it.  I haven't made it past 1897. :)  As far as I'm concerned
[spoiler]Jenny isn't even dead yet![/spoiler]

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #112 on: February 22, 2007, 06:10:17 AM »
I rewatched 1968 for the first time in about ten years.  I went through a time when I was really burn out on DS.  I was into the show big time from 1991 to 1998....in the past two weeks I got all of 1968 watched. I have been recovering from a back injury.  It has provided some great entertainment!  I love it.  I think it is by far my favorite present day time peroid.  Loved Adam in the beginning.  Loved Nicholas.  I especially loved the showdowns between Nicholas and Julia toward the end....they were great. Grayson and Humbert were AWESOME together!  The kids just discovered Quentin...and that is where I am.   I look forward to watching more.  I am so glad I found this lovely board. 

Stay In The Shadows!!
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline B.Collins

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: August 12, 2007, 10:44:52 PM »
1968  is ALSO my favorite year of the show. well THAT & 1970.  before the PT. storyline Barnabas's & Julia's LAST storylines that they did before he went back in time to do beat Judah Zachary. it was the DARKEST storyline & i wish they hadn't did the Lottery storyline later on. it just felt so unfniished when they cancelled the show. am i right?

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #114 on: August 13, 2007, 02:10:11 AM »
Cancelled TV shows didn't get to prepare a conclusion to the whole story... especially in a rushed show like DS.    I watched the end as a kid and thought it ended in mid-air, but now I'm surprised to find that they actually wrapped up the main characters' story (Collinwood in 1971 is fine), and they finish out the Lottery/Wuthering Heights storyline(s) too.

TV shows almost never "concluded".  The Fugitive in 1967 was a very rare exception.   Most shows just stopped.    They usually did not know whether they were renewed or not when finishing a season.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor