Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0299  (Read 1335 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0299
« on: May 17, 2007, 06:44:59 PM »

Offline loril54

• Senior Poster
  • Long Live DS Fans
    • View Profile
Re: Discuss - Ep #0299
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2007, 07:57:33 PM »
It seems like in the foursome, Barnabas, Burke, Vickie, Julia, only one person doesn't know what is going on. That is Vickie.  Barnabas Likes Vickie in a romanic way, Barnabas puts up with Julia grugingly, Hates Burke. Burke Loves Vickie, hates Barnabas, is weary of Julia, Vickie Loves Burke, is open and friendly with Julia, likes Barnabas as friend. Julia cares for Barnabs and wants to use him to get to a  goal: wants to protect Vickie from Barnabas, and protect her interest. Wants to use Burke to help her in her goals to keep Vickie away from Banabas. I think Barnabas and Julia are the most calculating. Vickie and Burke, don't realize wht the other two are.

Maybe that is why Julia and Barnabas stayed on they were more interesting. The JF and GH that played them put more into them so they would be interesting. I think people had more interest in what Julia and Barnabas would do.  The trials between Julia and Barnabas are now what is making the show interesting.

I have one question why didn't Barnabas just appear in Vickie's room. Maybe they wanted to build the suspense maybe he would get caught. If Barnabas Zapped Vickie then would that have put the experiment back??
Vote for Jonathan in the Walk of Fame.

http://www.canadaswalkoffame.com/nominate

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2007, 01:14:10 AM »
Oh gosh, oh golly, oh gee.  This episode is the sort of thing they hired handsome Anthony George for, I guess.  Do they do that sort of thing on TV anymore?  Girl falling for a control freak and thinking it's romantic?  He goes behind her back to eliminate the parts of her that he finds unsuitable, and that's - um, let's see - taking care of her the way a girl needs to be taken care of?  Burke probably watched that Folger's Coffee commercial and had trouble holding back manly tears of sympathy for Harvey.

Meanwhile Julia's playing the control freak with Barnabas, and he's definitely not falling for her and thinking it's romantic.  Maybe his visit to Vicky's room was a reaction to Julia's scolding.  (Like lori54, I found it interesting that he used the doorway instead of appearing.  If I didn't know better I'd wonder if Julia's Treatments were impairing some of his vampire abilities.)  As he circled around Vicky's bed, I wondered if maybe the fact that he could resist biting her indicated that in fact he didn't like her all that much - but I suppose that was just wishful thinking.

I sort of liked Julia in the flowing bathrobe thing.  I wonder if she bought it just for the Collinwood visit.  And why did she show up in the foyer at that particular time?  Was she waiting and waiting and waiting for Burke to leave so she could have another go at telling Vicky to steer clear of Barnabas?  Standing behind the door muttering to herself, or maybe taking notes...

It seems like in the foursome, Barnabas, Burke, Vickie, Julia
lori54, your description comes across as something badly in need of a musical comedy song.  I didn't notice Barnabas's cane in the terrace scene, but it would have come in handy as a baton to be passed from singer to singer.

Offline EmeraldRose

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2007, 06:04:59 PM »
One thing that struck me watching this episode is - Why did Vicki have to pick out another dress for her date with Burke? [idontknow] She looked perfectly fine in the dress she was wearing! [winkg]

As he circled around Vicky's bed, I wondered if maybe the fact that he could resist biting her indicated that in fact he didn't like her all that much - but I suppose that was just wishful thinking.
On the contrary, I think Barnabas liked her too much to bite her!  [love10] When he was trying to turn Maggie into Josette, he didn't see Maggie as she really was, so it was easy for him to bite her.  But he was getting to know Vicki as Vicki, as a person in the present, not the past -  and he was starting to care a lot for her, so he didn't want to hurt her, even though he was very tempted. [winkg]

Burke was too domineering with Vicki.  I think that behavior was common in those days.  Women (for the most part) are much more independent nowadays.

But Julia was also too domineering with Barnabas.  She was a bold and confident woman - a rarity in those days.  Of course, that wouldn't fly (LOL!) with Barnabas, because he was from a different time and place.  However, I think Julia was forced to be that way so he would't kill her. [shkdg]

----- Sally -----
[coolg]
----- Sally -----
[snow_bigglass] [hippy2]

Offline loril54

• Senior Poster
  • Long Live DS Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2007, 06:46:56 PM »
But if I remember, dating was a lot more formal back then. Being that DS was formal in that scence people used to spend  much time getting ready for a date.  You just didn't just throw on a coat and run out.  just like the song Wives and Lovers.  But they needed a sceene where Julia puts in her 2 cents.
Vote for Jonathan in the Walk of Fame.

http://www.canadaswalkoffame.com/nominate

Offline Roland

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2007, 02:31:44 AM »
I always find it funny that this all was taking place in the infamous Summer of Love of 1967, and what were all these atttractive young ladies like Vicki, Carolyn and Maggie doing but wandering around a creeky dark house in an old-fashioned gothic melodrama.

Well, the Summer of Love came and went, but Dark Shadows lives on!  I guess they were in the right place at the right time after all.   ;)

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2007, 12:58:00 PM »
TV was always a few years behind developments in the popular culture.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor