Author Topic: RIP: Forrest J. Ackerman  (Read 1083 times)

David

RIP: Forrest J. Ackerman
« on: December 06, 2008, 03:30:15 AM »
 [santa_cry]

Not quite off topic:
he was a big champion of DS, giving it the same respect he accorded to the classic films of Karloff & Lugosi:
Forrest J. Ackerman, editor of Famous Monsters Magazine during it's heyday, passed away today, just a few days after his 92nd birthday.

Hail & Farewell, Sir.......

David

Offline Brian

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
Re: RIP: Forrest J. Ackerman
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2008, 05:36:59 AM »
As a child of the 60s who watched DS way back then, and also read Uncle Forry's FAMOUS MONSTERS mags...this is a sad day.  Thank you, Dr. Acula, for all you did for we kids who grew up with your magazine.  To this day, I still think the old-time horror films you profiled in FAMOUS MONSTERS were THE BEST!!  RIP, dear Uncle Forry.

Brian

Offline D_Friedlander

• Full Poster
  • The REAL Wyndcliffe
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2008, 08:34:42 AM »
And as if that wasn't enough, Ira Levin also passed away this past Monday, aged 78.  He wasn't involved with DS, but his blockbuster novel of paranoid horror, and then, the blockbuster film version, Rosemary's Baby debuted around the time DS was on the air, reflecting then-current tastes in that genre.  The two movies based upon his Stepford Wives  (the first being superior, IMO, and more faithful to the book) were filmed at Lockwood-Mathews Mansion, where part of House of Dark Shadows was also filmed.
"HISTORY IS ULTIMATELY AN INVENTORY OF GHOSTS."-----
GUILLERMO DEL TORO

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2008, 06:04:29 PM »
Actually, Ira Levin was 78 when he passed away last year-- in November of 2007.

Offline PennyDreadful

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Terror at Collinwood
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2008, 10:50:56 PM »
I had just sent FJA a little package on Monday as I'd heard he was recovering from his recent illness.  While the news of his passing was not entirely unexpected, it was still a shock to find out last night.  Forrest J. Ackerman did so much to further the appreciation of horror, sci-fi and fantasy.  DS was featured on several Famous Monsters of Filmland covers.  My favorite is the Basil Gogos Barnabas cover (issue 59) which was one of the first images I ever saw from DS (my uncle gave me some of his FMs in the late 70s).  Forry Ackerman had a unique way of spreading his love and enthusiasm for the fantastic and lives on through the many people he inspired.
TERROR AT COLLINWOOD
A podcast dedicated to 'Dark Shadows'
https://www.terroratcollinwood.com/

PENNY DREADFUL'S SHILLING SHOCKERS
Weekly hosted horror and suspense films!
On television scare-waves throughout Haunted New England
http://www.shillingshockers.com

Offline JS

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook profile
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2008, 05:22:57 AM »
As a child of the 60's, Famous Monsters of Film Land was my favorite magazine. I bought every issue that I could find. Going to the grocery store once a week and looking for my favorite magazine, Famous Monsters of Film Land and any Dark Shadows books and comics was surely a thrill for me that I really looked forward to. [santa_smiley]
I doubt that the imagination can be suppressed. If you truly eradicated it in a child, he would grow up to be an eggplant.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2008, 05:53:32 AM »
Here's an article about Ackerman's passing that references DS: R.I.P., FJA