Author Topic: Who's More Annoying: Jeff Clark Or The Dell Computer Kid?  (Read 8231 times)

Offline Bob_the_Bartender

• Senior Poster
  • "Serenity is my favorite emotion."
    • View Profile
Who's More Annoying: Jeff Clark Or The Dell Computer Kid?
« on: August 20, 2002, 04:20:00 PM »
Dear Fellow Dark Shadows Fans,

(Here's a poll that I think I already know what the final outcome will be.)  Do you find Jeff Clark, with his seemingly perpetually angst-ridden, hair-grasping, and petulant "schtick" more annoying?  Or, like yours truly, are you absolutely sick and tired of seeing that geeky twenty-something with the seemingly unending leering smile on his kisser in those ubiquitous Dell Computer TV commercials?  (I tell you, I almost threw my cherished autographed Tom Seaver baseball at that blonde-haired nerd the other night!)

Incidentally, in defense of Jeff Clark's hair-grasping, I believe that Jeff is merely emulating the late, great Rod Steiger.  If you've ever seen the gritty film classic "On The Waterfront," (and I just know that you all have!), Mr. Steiger is seen to grab both his face and the hair on the sides of his head in that famous cab scene with Marlon Brando (or "Mr. Mumbles" as Frank Sinatra once described him).

Perhaps you've seen that other 1950's film, in which Mr. Steiger plays a condemned prisoner who crash lands with several other airline passengers in the Amazon jungle.  (I can't quite remember the flick's name, but it's on AMC quite often.)  Anyway, Mr. Steiger (who has the only gun) has to decide which passengers can take off in the damaged airliner to safety, and which passengers will stay behind with him to face certain, horrible death at the hands of the native head-hunters.

Well, it is a real tour de force for Mr. Steiger as he wrestles with the awful question of just who should live and who should be left to die.  I believe that Mr. Steiger takes a full minute, grasping his face and the hair on the top of his head (with no hat on this time!) before he arrives at his momentous decision.  I have believe that Roger Davis (Jeff Clark/Peter Bradford) had to be influenced by this brilliant dramatic actor.

By the way, I also believe that Mr. Steiger influenced another young and upcoming actor, John Travolta with his hair/head grasping routine as Vinnie Barbarino in "Welcome Back, Kotter." Surely you remember the great line, "I'm so confused!" by the greatest member of "The Sweathogs"?

So, while I'm sure that most of you will opt to give thumbs-down to Jeff Clark, I'll give the "Sicilian Salute" to that creepy Dell computer kid.

Bah Humbug!

Bob the Bartender, who still gets chills from Mr. Steiger's performance as that truly angst-ridden priest in "The Amityville Horror."

Offline CandleLighter

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Full Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Who's More Annoying: Jeff Clark Or The Dell Computer Kid?
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2002, 04:35:46 PM »
Dude! I'm gonna touch your hair for asking that![hdscrt][peace]

Offline Bob_the_Bartender

• Senior Poster
  • "Serenity is my favorite emotion."
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2002, 04:39:53 PM »
Well, as Rod Steiger used to say, "It's terrible, terrible, terrible!"

Offline LoveAtFirstBITE

• Full Poster
  • A repressed hysteric
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2002, 04:55:59 PM »
(Here's a poll that I think I already know what the final outcome will be.)  Do you find Jeff Clark, with his seemingly perpetually angst-ridden, hair-grasping, and petulant "schtick" more annoying?  Or, like yours truly, are you absolutely sick and tired of seeing that geeky twenty-something with the seemingly unending leering smile on his kisser in those ubiquitous Dell Computer TV commercials?
[puke]Oh God!!  tough call to make.[puke]

So, while I'm sure that most of you will opt to give thumbs-down to Jeff Clark, I'll give the "Sicilian Salute" to that creepy Dell computer kid.

I would have to say so too.  Jeff Clark is easier to watch.  

Offline MsCriseyde

• Senior Poster
  • Even the name reeks of Ohrbach's!
    • View Profile
    • Criseyde's David Selby Site
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2002, 05:26:36 PM »
LOL. The Dell computer dude is from my hometown. The local press covers him like he's Marlon Brando. He got into a bit of trouble with the union recently over filming commercials during a strike. (So did Tiger Woods, btw. I'm sure that fine will be a crushing blow to his yearly income.  ::))

I was much happier when the only actor of note from town was the guy who played Mr. Belding on Saved by the Bell. I consider him much cooler for having appeared in the same episode of the Dukes of Hazzard as Cale Yarborough.

It's good to be a redneck.  ;D

Dark Shadows Alumni Movies (Includes a DS News page.)

Offline Julian

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2002, 06:15:10 PM »
I would actually have to vote for the Dell computer guy.

Offline jennifer

• DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2002, 06:21:35 PM »
Wow this is close but since i want to go into the tv and rip his head off [pain]
i'll say THE DELL NERD![puke]

jennifer
was he really Kevin's older brother in HomeAlone !

What a great actor he is(Rod S) He was great also in No Way to Treat A Lady!
Please Bob he's not worth wrecking your ball over!
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline Bette

• Full Poster
  • Quentin, you have no future.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2002, 08:41:43 PM »
For some strange reason, I actually like the Dell computer guy. He makes me laugh.  :o

So my vote has to go to that most annoying of characters, Jeff Clark.

Bette
Life works if you let it

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2002, 09:28:49 PM »
Really Bob....what on earth do you find so annoying about the Dell Dude that you would even consider comparing him to that human pathology, Jeff Clark?  

Just because the kid bears a stunning resemblance to Eddie Haskell.....(whenever an adult Cleaver was in the room)...., is no reason to beat up on the poor boy!

Raineypark
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline Dr. Eric Lang

• Senior Poster
  • Julia . . . Julia . . . when you do the experiment
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2002, 09:34:10 PM »
Sorry, dude, I'm going to have to go with the Dell Computer guy too.  Wouldn't it be great if he could appear on Dark Shadows? I can just see him going up to little David's room, and seeing David looking into his crystal ball, trying to find Sarah, to which he would of course respond with:

DUDE! You're gettin' a Dell!

Offline Craig_Slocum

• Muted
  • Senior Poster
  • Cute Craig
    • View Profile
    • Cheryl's Dark Shadows
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2002, 12:27:20 AM »
I would actually have to vote for the Dell computer guy.

I would too, but I would rather see his commercials than some of the other ones. Jeff Clark is not terribly annoying to me either, he's just not my fave.
Cheryl,

Craig Slocum's #1 Fan

Offline CD_Tate

• Junior Poster
  • I'm soooo artistic.
    • View Profile
    • Pix:
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2002, 12:34:57 AM »
My  vote has to go with the Dell kid...  He was cute in the original *ONE* commercial, but has been darned annoying in every ad since.

As for Jeff Clark, he's terrific in every way.  (Not really, but somebody has to stick up for the guy around here!) :)

Offline VictoriaWintersRox

• Full Poster
  • Vickified
    • View Profile
    • The Regal Beagle
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2002, 12:41:54 AM »
LOL I have no problem with the Dell computer guy. But I do have mannnnyyy problems with Jeff Clark. So I vote Jeff Clark.

Offline Afan

• Full Poster
  • Another body from Collinwood for me to autopsy!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2002, 12:44:40 AM »
[thumb]I love the Dell guy! I think that he will be a zillionaire some day.  The advertisers must love him also, because he is everywhere!
[shadow=deeppink,left,300]Afan, who relates to [nuts]nutty teenagers.  I had two(who have grown into a nice young man and woman now! Thank goodness![hello]
[/shadow]
Afan
I love these little codes, don't you!
Where are they getting these bodies, Mulder,  are they making them?

Afan

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2002, 12:50:06 AM »
I'm sorry, Bob - but I find Jeff Clark at least 1000 times more annoying than the Dell computer guy. Saying "Dude, you're getting a Dell" is nothing compared to Clark's screaming, ranting and raving. ::)

Speaking of Dell, you'd better steel yourself because you might be seeing even more of your "friend" Steven in the not too distant future. I read in the current issue of eWeek that Dell will soon be entering the printer and PDA market - and as their spokesperson, he'll be featured in both their print and TV commercial campaigns for those devices. ;)

It's also interesting to note that Dell's current ad campaigns must be doing something right because it was recently reported that, in a time when most computer technology companies are reporting loses, Dell's revenue increased 12%.  ;D

So, to get you in the mood for Steven's future Dell exploits, might I suggest you check out the following link:

"Steven's" Site
(Dell's "Official" site - where you can watch Steven's latest commercial over and over and over again! [wink2])