Author Topic: SOAPnet no longer being replaced. With no AMC and OLTL DS reruns?  (Read 1535 times)

Offline DLA75

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
With SOAPnet nologer being replaced by Disney JR and If ABC does not reconsider the cancellations of OLTL and AMC. SOAPnet needing nighttime replacement programming  coupled with the publicity from new Burton/Depp movie mean opening for SOAPnet to add  the original Dark Shadows riding the movie banwagon.

http://www.examiner.com/soap-opera-in-national/abc-disney-all-their-secrets-soapnet-to-remain-on-air-after-january-2012

Dan

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: SOAPnet no longer being replaced. With no AMC and OLTL DS reruns?
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2011, 04:11:15 PM »
This whole situation just keeps getting curiouser and curiouser...

David

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2011, 05:25:56 PM »
BTW, anyone else think it's time for AC Neilsen to shutter it's doors.
Neilsen reports that 2.5 million people watch the 2 soaps on ABC, but that doesn't include the additional half million who watch on Soapnet, or the several million more who watch online.
Reportedly no ads are running on the webcasts, hence no revenue from them.

Offline Robot_Quentin

• Senior Poster
  • Born during episode #566...... For Real!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2011, 07:02:21 PM »
Plus the people who download episodes on torrents aren't counted either...  [easter_rolleyes]  Well someone somewhere probably counts them!!

I really do admire these fans and sponsors for standing up for shows they truly love! Power to the people!!
Robot_Quentin: "I've never watched the last episode, so the show never ended for me."

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
  • Only my freckles hold me together.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2011, 07:32:19 PM »
This is a marketing ploy for Hoover and nothing more.  By supposedly spearheading this boycott they are getting more press and notice from their target audience, plus the audience reading coverage of the supposed boycott, than they were by not reacting at all.  It's a smart move but misleading to anyone who actually believes Hoover is in this for the fans.

nancy

I really do admire these fans and sponsors for standing up for shows they truly love! Power to the people!!

David

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2011, 08:23:32 PM »
One Life star Ilene Kristen claims that Brian Frons said that daytime audiences need to be "trained like dogs"!
A Fire Brian Frons petition has 8500 signatures as of this morning.

No matter what happens (the un-cancellation of Soapnet does indicate which way this could be headed) this sure is a fascinating off-screen soap in it's own right.
I think this saga would make a great Lifetime movie, with La Lucci playing herself of course!

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2011, 08:47:13 PM »
Not having SoapNet disappear is a great thing. But one also has to keep in mind that SoapNet isn't hanging around longer because they want it to - it's simply hanging around longer because the setup of Disney Jr. is going to take longer than originally anticipated. And while reports are saying the two networks will coexist for a period of time, they're not saying that SoapNet is completely safe. They're saying SoapNet *could* run for several years, not that it will. So, this might simply be a reprieve rather than a stay of execution, and SoapNet could still end soon - just not as soon as had been anticipated.

Offline The Doctor and K9

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2011, 09:24:21 PM »
SOAPnet's chances of survival are certainly decreased with the demise of the two soaps. If the efforts to save the two shows fail, the network is left with less than 2/3 of its current daily programming. 5 and a half TV hours of shows will probably be reduced to 3 and a half. 

Offline Annie

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2011, 10:01:14 PM »
Too  bad they dont  put  DS  on soapnet that  would be  great!
                       Love   Anne [easter_kiss]
"Never Give Up On Your Dreams "I Didn't So Don't
You"    By Barry Manilow

Offline quentin-channing

• Junior Poster
  • Where's my milk? Oops, wrong show!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2011, 05:02:34 AM »
I hate commercials as much as the next person but my question is why on earth were there not ads running on ABC's website for those who watch episodes online??? I've been watching Y&R off and on online when I need to catch up and CBS has been notorious about including ads. At first there was about 4 or 5 per show. Then they changed something so that they didn't even line up with the commercial breaks designed for the tv broadcast. Characters would be saying a line and and all of a sudden a commercial would start. Then they started adding 2 or 3 ads per break and worst of all now they have designed some technology which puts the show on hold if you are browsing in another tab and aren't paying attention to the ads. You HAVE To click on a button for the show to resume.

Sounds like someone is/was trying to kill off ABC daytime.

Great news that Soapnet is still here but I would not get my hopes up for anything decent. It seems most network execs are stone cold idiots. Look what happened to Nick at Nite, The Game Show Network, Sci-Fi or now SyFy (dumbest cable name ever). They are nothing like what they should be.

When will tv get its next Brandon Tartikoff?

Offline Patti Feinberg

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2011, 01:55:18 AM »
When will tv get its next Brandon Tartikoff?
WELL SAID!!

If nothing else (but, I don't currently have Soap anymore), viewing OLD eps of OLTL & AMC would have a ...certain... charm? (Like watching the old RH.)

I  C A N N O T  [ghost_angry] imagine not having OLTL.....40 years I've been watching (okay, not really in the 90s) but still..

Patti
What a Woman!