Author Topic: ".....all's right with the world"  (Read 2939 times)

Offline deron

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
Re: ".....all's right with the world"
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2002, 03:50:09 AM »
Karlen is one actor I always admired on DS, but didn't fully appreciate until I saw as an adult.

I am the same way... If anyone doubts his talents, all you have to do is watch Wednesday's episodes.  His talents shine through as he portray's a man who borders on insanity and confusion.  He was a terrible man before he met Barnabus, but even at that, he went through extremely terrible experiences.  Today, we saw a little of the old Willie, a little of an insane Willie and a very sad Willie.  It was a tremendous performance on Karlen's part.

deron

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2002, 05:12:38 AM »
Wonder what part Powell played in "The Iceman Cometh"?  I'd have to hope it was the drunk who spent 90% of  the play passed out cold! ::)

Saw the Kevin Spacey production on Broadway a couple of years ago.....4 hours and 20 minutes of pure bliss.... :D

Rainey

"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline kuanyin

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Wooohoooo, Willie!
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2002, 05:40:34 AM »
It just wasn't the same without him. I had forgotten that Willie was no longer under Barney's spell by this point in the show. I loved how Barney seems to have forgotten taking the cane to him....oh, and developing a conscience! Julia, God love her, had the perfect reaction.

Karlen's performance was absolutely dead on. He is a wonderful actor. I never watched Cagney and Lacey, so didn't even know he was on it until I became a more involved DS fan. Today's first show was one of the really great ones. Love the team of Barney, Willie and Julia. Her letting herself in the old house without knocking seems to say volumes about their present relationship.
"If a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing badly, rather than not at all." G.K. Chesterton

Offline Linda

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dark Shadows Virtual Series
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2002, 05:53:25 AM »

I''m pretty sure John Karlen won or was at least nominated for an Emmy for playing Harvey, the long suffering husband of Marybeth's ,on Cagney and Lacey
He is great and was always my favorite part of that show!!!

jennifer

You're right, Jennifer!  According to the IMdb, he received a Best Supporting Actor Emmy nomination for Cagney and Lacey in 1987...pity he didn't win, I thought he was wonderful as Harvey.

In 1986 *and* 1987, he actually did win two Viewers for Quality Television awards (whatever those are -- I've never heard of them) for his role as Harvey (Best Supporting Actor in a Quality Drama Series).

His performances on DS were priceless, but I think the goofy Carl Collins in 1897 was my very favorite John Karlen role -- he was such a hoot.  :)

Cheers,

Linda

Offline Bob_the_Bartender

• Senior Poster
  • "Serenity is my favorite emotion."
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2002, 05:54:58 AM »
Dear RaineyPark, Luciaphil, and Midnite,

Alas, Addison Powell (my second favorite DS actor after Bob O'Connell) did not win the Tony award.  However, Midnite, you are correct that Mr. Powell won the prestigious OBIE Award, Distinguished Performance For An Actor,  for his 1956 performance in "The Iceman Cometh."

By the way, my "theater critic friend" has informed me that the great Thayer David won the same OBIE Award, Distinguished Performance For An Actor, in 1957, for his performance in "Oscar Wilde."  So, I guess that Mr. Powell is in good company with his fellow Dark Shadows actor.

I still contend that Mr. Powell should have won the Academy Award for Best Supporting Actor for his memorable performance as the chillingly duplicitous CIA man in the spy thriller, "Three Days Of The Condor" with Robert Redford and Fay Dunaway.

Sincerely,  

Bob the Bartender, who's still moved to tears every time I see Mr. Powell's heartfelt performance as the Fisherman from Gorton's of Gloucester.

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2002, 06:05:17 AM »
Linda wrote:

"You're right, Jennifer!  According to the IMdb, he received a Best Supporting Actor Emmy nomination for Cagney and Lacey in 1987...pity he didn't win, I thought he was wonderful as Harvey."

Linda, John Karlen DID win the Emmy for Harvey Lacey in 1986....I remember his speech was a hoot!!....."I needed this like a working man needs a loaf of bread!"

Rainey
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline Linda

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dark Shadows Virtual Series
« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2002, 06:17:00 AM »

Linda, John Karlen DID win the Emmy for Harvey Lacey in 1986....I remember his speech was a hoot!!....."I needed this like a working man needs a loaf of bread!"

Rainey

LOL and hooray!  I am so glad this was an instance where the IMdb was WRONG!  :D  :D  :D

Cheers,

Linda

Offline Birdie

• Senior Poster
  • And her little dog too
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2002, 06:22:17 PM »
All I can add is John Karlen is Marvelous!  I was thrilled when he won the emmy.  I remember watching and routing for him.  

Birdie--I have a soft spot for him.  Hey, he was willing to give me a sip of his wine at the fest last year.  
Birdie--
God please put your arm around my shoulder and your hand across my mouth

Offline jennifer

• DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2002, 10:48:16 PM »

LOL and hooray!  I am so glad this was an instance where the IMdb was WRONG!  :D  :D  :D

Cheers,

Linda

That is pretty funny that they were wrong Linda
and that it was in his favor!
He was great as Harvey and to tell you the truth the only reason I watched the show! I always found Mary Beth annoying but Harvey was really funny with her! he seems like quite a guy as well an an actor. :)

jennifer
Quess we can't always count on the Imdb LOL!
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV